Track and field's world governing body will not intervene to suspend American athletes facing doping allegations unless there is evidence they failed drug tests.
"In the absence of facts, the IAAF cannot and will not do anything," IAAF general secretary Istvan Gyulai told AP on Wednesday.
Gyulai said the International Association of Athletics Federations hopes and expects that the six pending US doping cases will be resolved before next month's Athens Olympics.
"We would be very disappointed if they are not," he said by phone from IAAF headquarters in Monaco. "Everyone who is a stakeholder here wishes this."
USA Track & Field said Tuesday that Tim Montgomery -- the 100m world-record holder -- and five others facing doping charges would be allowed to compete at the US Olympic trials beginning Friday in Sacramento, California.
"We have no problem with that," Gyulai said. ``Whether or not they can compete in the trials, we leave it in the hands of USA Track & Field.''
Montgomery and sprinters Christye Gaines, Michelle Collins and Alvin Harrison have been notified by the US Anti-Doping Agency they face lifetime bans in the BALCO steroid investigation. All are contesting the allegations.
None of the four failed a drug test. USADA is acting based on "non-analytical positives," circumstantial evidence gathered in the federal probe of the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative.
Gyulai dismissed suggestions by USATF chief executive Craig Masback that the IAAF would bar athletes from the Athens Olympics if they qualified but still had doping cases pending.
"If there is a positive test available, this is the only way the IAAF can proceed," Gyulai said. "Here, there are no positive cases. There is some analytical something we have never seen. We have to see something. Based on press reports and telephone conversations, we cannot suspend athletes who are heroes and even if they are not heroes.
"We want justice," he said. "If justice is questionable, then sorry."
Calvin Harrison, twin brother of Alvin, and distance runner Regina Jacobs are also under investigation for alleged drug violations. Jacobs allegedly tested positive last year for the designer steroid THG. Harrison faces a two-year ban after a positive test for the stimulant modafinil, his second doping offense.
Montgomery and Gaines are bypassing US procedures and taking their cases directly to the international Court of Arbitration for Sport. The other four plan to argue their cases before a US arbitration panel, but can go to CAS after that.
Gyulai said the IAAF will wait for the US rulings. If the IAAF is not satisfied with the verdicts, it can refer the cases to international arbitration.
The CAS will have arbitrators in Athens to deal with any doping or eligibility issues.
The US Olympic Committee is due to name the Athens team by July 21. However, the IOC has adjusted its rules to allow for late substitutions in "exceptional circumstances." The Olympics begin Aug. 13, with the track competition starting Aug. 18.
Marion Jones, winner of five medals the 2000 Sydney Olympics, is also under investigation by USADA but has not been charged with a doping offense.
IOC president Jacques Rogge said he hopes all the US cases are resolved "as soon as possible" but without rushing to judgment.
"Athletes have their rights of defense and there are procedures which have to be respected," he told the AP.
"The worst thing we could do is have a kind of hanging judge passing by and having an expedited situation where the athletes rights are not respected."
Rogge said the final decision on Olympic eligibility will be up to the IAAF and the USOC.
"If the athletes are declared eligible and they win the trials, then the USOC, in my humble opinion, will have nothing else to do than to send them," he said. "If they are not declared eligible, the case is very clear. They cannot be entered by the USOC."
Rogge said Jones is presumed innocent as long as she hasn't been charged.
"If USADA cannot find a proof of guilt and she runs well at the trials, she will be at the games. At that stage, she has the total presumption of innocence."
STANDINGS: The Uni-President Lions’ victory pushed the CTBC Brothers to first place after they won their third straight game, beating the Fubon Guardians 6-3 The big bats of the Uni-President Lions were on fire in the CPBL yesterday as they crushed the Rakuten Monkeys 21-5 in Taoyuan, with outfielder Lin An-ko driving in seven runs on five hits and two homers. The result enabled the CTBC Brothers to take the No. 1 spot after they beat the Fubon Guardians 6-3. It was a highlight reel for the Taiwanese-Argentinian star Lin, who drilled two homers amid a heated home-run race between himself, now on 16 for the season, and Lions teammate Su Chih-chieh, who is on 18. Lin performed outstandingly, collecting five hits at six at-bats to drive
Hong Kong media reported that police briefly detained a man in a Liverpool team jersey who shouted “long live Liverpool” during anti-government protests on Wednesday, over suspicion that he was inciting independence. In-Media reported that the man was across the street from police officers who were conducting stop-and-searches on a group of protesters, when he shouted: “Long live Liverpool.” Others reportedly cheered and joined in the chant, before officers detained him. The man told In-Media that police had accused him of inciting Hong Kong independence, which now is a punishable crime. He said that he has been a fan of the English soccer
WOLFSBURG BEATEN: Bayern striker Robert Lewandowski scored from a penalty, his 34th league goal this season, finishing as the top Bundesliga scorer for the fifth time Werder Bremen gave themselves hope of avoiding relegation from the Bundesliga by thrashing Cologne 6-1 to grab a playoff place on the last day of the season, while champions Bayern Munich routed VfL Wolfsburg before lifting the trophy on Saturday. Japan striker Yuya Osako scored twice as Bremen stole the lifeline of the relegation/promotion playoff place from Fortuna Duesseldorf, who lost 3-0 against Union Berlin and were relegated with SC Paderborn, finishing one point behind Bremen. “We put in a great performance under pressure, but we are aware that we haven’t achieved anything — in the relegation playoff, the emotions will be
Alexis Lafreniere was supposed to walk on stage on Friday night in Montreal as the top pick in the NHL draft. After the COVID-19 pandemic paused the hockey season and postponed that possibility, Lafreniere was supposed to find out Friday night where he would be going when the league held its draft lottery. Instead, he must wait a little bit longer. Chaos reigned at the NHL draft lottery, with the No. 1 pick still up for grabs in a second lottery drawing among the eight teams that lose in the qualifying round of the playoffs — if play resumes. “We all knew