Eric Lindros joined the free-agent market on Wednesday when the New York Rangers declined to pick up the US$10.25 million option in the oft-injured center's contract.
When the hockey shopping season opens on Thursday, the 31-year-old Lindros will be free to sign with any club. It is unlikely that Lindros will return to the Rangers, with whom he played the past three seasons after being traded by Philadelphia.
Clubs had until midnight EDT Wednesday to make qualifying offers to restricted free agents to keep their rights and prevent them from becoming unrestricted. Normally players need to be 31 before becoming unrestricted, but any not given qualifying offers are free to sign anywhere.
The Toronto Maple Leafs were busy on Wednesday, signing potential free agents Ed Belfour, Joe Nieuwendyk, Gary Roberts, and Aki Berg.
Belfour, Nieuwendyk and Roberts could have become unrestricted free agents, while Berg would have been restricted.
"These guys are integral contributors to our club and it's great to have them back for at least one more season," general manager John Ferguson Jr. said.
The market is expected to be slow with teams trying to slash payrolls in anticipation of a new financial landscape in the NHL. The league's collective bargaining agreement with the players association expires on Sept. 15, and a lockout that could threaten next season is a distinct possibility.
The NHL is seeking "cost certainty," which the union believes is a synonym for a salary cap -- a solution the players association refuses to accept.
The sides have met a handful of times since October, but no progress has been made on the key issues. The NHL wants to cut the percentage of revenues that go toward player salaries.
But many big-name players are expected to be available come Thursday.
The unrestricted free-agent class could include Alex Zhamnov and Mark Recchi, who helped lead Philadelphia to the Eastern Conference finals; Paul Kariya and Teemu Selanne, who after disappointing seasons in Colorado are back on the market; Dominik Hasek; Brett Hull, Brendan Shanahan, Steve Yzerman of Detroit, Alex Kovalev and Peter Bondra.
Los Angeles made deals with two veterans Wednesday night, longtime fan favorite Luc Robitaille -- who is in his third stint with the Kings -- and defenseman Stephane Quintal, whose rights were acquired from Montreal last weekend.
"We are pleased that Luc has re-signed with the Kings," general manager Dave Taylor said. "He remains one of the most popular players ever to wear a Kings jersey.
"We hope that he eventually retires in a Kings uniform."
That seems to be Robitaille's wish, as well. He has played 13 of his 18 seasons in Los Angeles.
"I am both happy and excited to return to the Kings," said Robitaille, who has the most career goals and points among NHL left wingers. "This is where I started my career and this is where I believe I will end my career. This is where I belong. This is my home."
But the Kings cut ties with forwards Jason Allison, Adam Deadmarsh and Anson Carter by declining to make qualifying offers. Allison and Deadmarsh missed all of last season because of concussions.
To keep their rights, the Kings would have had to make an US$8 million qualifying offer to Allison and a US$3 million offer to Deadmarsh. Carter, traded by both the Rangers and Washington Capitals last season, would have been qualified at US$2.8 million.
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Friday said that he had called in the “third umpire” as he announced that recreational cricket would be allowed to resume next weekend. In a radio interview earlier on Friday, Johnson angered thousands of club cricketers by saying that the amateur game was still not safe to play amid the COVID-19 pandemic because of issues surrounding communal teas and dressing rooms. “It’s the teas, it’s the changing rooms and so on and so forth. There are other factors involved that generate proximity which you might not get in a game of tennis,” he said. Johnson had already
Hong Kong media reported that police briefly detained a man in a Liverpool team jersey who shouted “long live Liverpool” during anti-government protests on Wednesday, over suspicion that he was inciting independence. In-Media reported that the man was across the street from police officers who were conducting stop-and-searches on a group of protesters, when he shouted: “Long live Liverpool.” Others reportedly cheered and joined in the chant, before officers detained him. The man told In-Media that police had accused him of inciting Hong Kong independence, which now is a punishable crime. He said that he has been a fan of the English soccer
Indian police are investigating an alleged betting scandal in which a sham cricket tournament was held in an Indian village and passed off as a Twenty20 contest played in Sri Lanka. Players portrayed as Sri Lankan cricketers played two matches on Monday last week that were broadcast with live commentary on YouTube, media reports said, along with ball-by-ball coverage on top Indian sports Web sites. The organizers hung Sri Lankan advertisements at the ground for added authenticity and put up tents to block the view from outside the remote rural venue, set in farmland next to a busy highway. Police said that they
Raptors guard Fred VanVleet is already in Florida with the rest of his Toronto teammates, and he knows the time to take a stand and counter the NBA plan to restart the season has passed, but his opinion on the matter has not changed. “It sucks,” VanVleet said on Monday in a videoconference of his choice to return to the court during the COVID-19 pandemic and Black Lives Matter campaign. “It’s terrible timing, but that’s been 2020 for us. We all know the right thing to do is to not play, to take a stand. Morally, yes, that makes sense, but