Sat, Aug 23, 2003 - Page 18 News List

Sports Briefs

Athletics

Edwards to retire

Olympic triple jump champion Jonathan Edwards will retire after the world championships opening today. Edwards, 37, who injured his right ankle at the London grand prix this month, told reporters on Friday he would compete in Paris but then retire. "It's a miracle that I'm fit enough to compete after my ankle injury," the Briton said. "That miracle has told me it's time to call it a day and retire."

Basketball

US takes control

Tracy McGrady scored 17 points, Vince Carter had 15, Jermaine O'Neal 14 and Kenyon Martin 13 on Thursday as the Americans used an early 18-0 run to take control in a 111-73 victory in the FIBA-Americans Olympic qualifying tournament. In earlier games, Argentina defeated Uruguay 91-60, Brazil beat the US Virgin Islands 100-74 and Canada downed Puerto Rico 89-79. It was the first time since the 2001 Goodwill Games that a team of American professionals surpassed 110 points.

Basketball

Slain player's dad to sue

The father of a slain Baylor basketball player plans to sue the university, saying officials conspired to cover up information about his son's death and concealed illegal activities in the athletic department, his lawyers said. Patrick Dennehy was found dead in a field July 25. He had been shot twice in the head. Former teammate and roommate Carlton Dotson is charged in his murder. The lawsuit, expected to be filed Friday in Harris County District Court, seeks at least US$50,000 in damages. It also accuses officials of creating an "unsafe atmosphere" in the department, The Dallas Morning News reported in its online edition Thursday night, citing a draft of the lawsuit being filed by Patrick Dennehy Sr.

Soccer

Makelele rejoins training

France midfielder Claude Makelele ended his training boycott at Real Madrid on Thursday when he joined his team mates for an evening session at the club's Ciudad Deportiva. The 30-year-old international began training together with defenders Roberto Carlos and Francisco Pavon in a separate session directed by coach Carlos Queiroz and then teamed up with the rest of the squad for a small-sided game. It was the first time Makelele had attended training since returning from the club's Asian tour at the start of last week. The midfielder's agent Marc Roger said last week that the player was in no condition to train with the Spanish champions because he was being affected by a contractual dispute.

Cricket

Warne bows out of training

Disgraced Australian Test cricketer Shane Warne said yesterday he will take no further part in any official training until the end of his 12-month drug ban in February. The controversial 33-year-old leg-spinner told a press conference here that the arguments about what he can do in cricket during his ban had gone on for too long. Cricket Australia (CA) has been told by the government-funded Australian Sports Commission (ASC) that it was unacceptable for Warne to train while serving his 12-month ban for taking a banned diuretic, detected in a doping test prior to the World Cup in South Africa. "I think it's ridiculous that six months after the event to now to say I can't train [it] just seems there are too many agendas with too many people," Warne said reading from a statement.

Agencies

This story has been viewed 2895 times.

Comments will be moderated. Keep comments relevant to the article. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned. Final decision will be at the discretion of the Taipei Times.

TOP top