Michelle Wie felt she had nothing to prove, then went ahead and did it anyway. \nWie, the 13-year-old sensation widely felt to be the future of women's golf, showed she can play with the men in Thursday's first round of the Bay Mills Open Players Championship, the final event of the Canadian Tour season. \nThe long-hitting Wie, whose drives were frequently over 300 yards at Wild Bluff Golf Course, had a birdie and three bogeys in a round of 2-over 74. That put her seven shots behind Michael Harris, the leader when play was delayed for the second time by a thunderstorm sweeping across the Upper Peninsula. \nOnly 24 of 150 players had finished when play resumed in the early evening and many had yet to even tee off. That meant some would have to finish their first round early yesterday. \nExcept for a few close friends, however, hardly anyone cared about Harris -- a former University of Michigan star seeking his first win as a professional -- and the others in the field. Wie was who the fans came to see. And she lived up to her billing. \n"I wasn't nervous at all," said Wie, whom Tom Lehman once dubbed "Big Wiesy" because her swing reminds so many people of Ernie Els. "I was too sleepy to be nervous on the first hole. Besides, I've been playing with guys for quite a while now." \nNot in a setting like this. \nWie is the third female to compete in a professional men's golf event this summer. Annika Sorenstam and Suzy Whaley failed to make the cut in their PGA Tour attempts earlier this season. There is a chance that Wie will, as the cut in this event last year was 5 over. \n"I didn't play great," Wie said. "I made two stupid bogeys, and I had two birdie putts I should have made. I think I could have been under par today." \nHeavy wind was a factor when she teed off at 8:10am, with two other amateurs: Mike Mezei of Lethbridge, Alberta, and Michigan Amateur champion Colby Beckstrom. \nWie's approach to the third hole rolled off the back of the green, the ball resting against the collar of the second cut. Her 4-foot putt to save par lipped out. She bogeyed No. 8 when her tee shot on the par-3 took a crazy bounce into the right rough and her chip sailed 25 feet past the pin. \nBut she almost eagled the 545-yard 9th when her 70-foot putt from the first cut of greenside rough rolled 4 feet left of the cup. That birdie enabled Wie to make the turn at 1-over 37. \nThe horn sounded for the first thunderstorm as Wie was lining up a 12-foot birdie putt at No. 10. When play resumed, 1 hour and 55 minutes later, she missed that putt and settled for a par. \n"Before the rain delay, I thought I putted well," said Wie, who earlier this summer became the youngest player to win a USGA title for adults at the US Women's Amateur Public Links. "Afterward, nothing would go in." \nHer mother, Bo, gave Wie a banana and she settled into a steady string of pars the rest of the way, including a nice save after hitting her second shot into some weeds on the bank of a creek crossing the 17th fairway. For the record, she beat both playing partners by a stroke.
A sudden shortage of locks in Australian rugby union has opened the door for Matt Philip to reclaim his Wallabies jersey, but the Melbourne Rebels player says that the uncertainties wrought by the COVID-19 pandemic have left him with a difficult choice. The Australian yesterday named Philip among 16 Rebels players either set to leave the Super Rugby club or seriously considering it, underscoring the challenge Rugby Australia faces to retain talent. Linked with a move to Section Paloise Bearn Pyrenees, commonly referred to as Pau, in France’s Top 14, Philip said that he had yet to settle his playing future, and
The Rakuten Monkeys remained atop the CPBL table, despite a 5-7 loss to the Uni-President Lions in Taoyuan yesterday, while the CTBC Brothers fell to the Fubon Guardians at the Taichung Intercontinental Stadium. The visiting Guardians blasted three home runs in their 7-3 triumph, helping Dominican pitcher Henry Sosa pocket his second win of the season. Improving his record to 2-2, Sosa sailed through seven innings, allowing six hits while striking out five. He gave up one earned run in the opening frame, with two Brothers relievers mopping up the final two innings. Fubon’s marquee stars, designated hitter Hu Chin-lung and first baseman
When Chinese Super League club Tianjin Tianhai surprisingly thrashed Rafael Benitez’s Dalian Yifang 5-1 to stay in the league in November last year, disgruntled fans were quick to allege corruption — the legacy of a murky past that exploded into scandal 10 years ago. Benitez, who led Liverpool to the 2005 UEFA Champions League title, was perplexed by one of the heaviest defeats of his coaching career, saying: “This is a game that I don’t quite understand.” Despite fan complaints to the Chinese Football Association (CFA), no case was brought and there is no evidence of wrongdoing. However, the haste with which some
Georgian tennis star Nikoloz Basilashvili, ranked 27th in the world, was on Sunday charged with physically assaulting his ex-wife, prosecutors said. A court in Tbilisi charged Basilashvili with perpetrating “violence against a family member committed in the presence of a minor,” before releasing him on US$30,000 bail, prosecutor Natia Guruli said. He faces up to three years in prison if found guilty. Basilashvili’s ex-wife, Neka Dorokashvili, on Sunday told Mtavari TV that Basilashvili “physically assaulted” her on Friday in the presence of their five-year-old son. Basilashvili denied the charges, his lawyer Irma Chkadua said. The 28-year-old won his second ATP Tour title at the China