News cameras will be allowed inside the courtroom at Kobe Bryant's hearing on a sexual assault charge on Aug. 6, a judge ruled. \nA live audio feed will also be permitted, Eagle County Court Judge Fred Gannett said Friday. He placed no restrictions on what the cameras could record. \nGannett's order allows one pool TV camera and one pool still photographer in the courtroom. \nThe Los Angeles Lakers star guard was charged with felony sexual assault after a 19-year-old woman told authorities he attacked her at an Edwards resort June 30. Bryant said the sex was consensual. \nHe is free on US$25,000 bail. \nBryant may not be required to attend the hearing but is expected to, said Krista Flannigan, a spokeswoman for District Attorney Mark Hurlbert. She said officials will know in advance whether he will be there. \nThe hearing is to formally advise Bryant of the charge and the possible sentence he faces if convicted, and could include a discussion of whether to change his bail. \nChief Judge W. Terry Ruckriegle, who oversees the courthouse, has not ruled on a media request to station pool cameras in a hallway outside the courtroom and at the courthouse entrance. \nRepresentatives from the county, the town and the district attorney's office met Friday morning with Ruckriegle to discuss that request and other arrangements for the flood of reporters and television crews covering the hearing. \nAbout 25 television satellite trucks are expected to arrive the day before the hearing, about 10 more than were present when Hurlbert announced on July 18 he was filing charges. \nRuckriegle wants to limit the number of trucks in the court's small parking lot, said Christine Yuhas, administrator for the 5th Judicial District, which includes Eagle and three other mountain counties. \n"It's just a normal community and we do have normal business that we have to keep going," Yuhas said. \nOfficials are also considering how to accommodate all the reporters and members of the public who want to be in the courtroom for Bryant's first appearance since his July 4 arrest.
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Friday said that he had called in the “third umpire” as he announced that recreational cricket would be allowed to resume next weekend. In a radio interview earlier on Friday, Johnson angered thousands of club cricketers by saying that the amateur game was still not safe to play amid the COVID-19 pandemic because of issues surrounding communal teas and dressing rooms. “It’s the teas, it’s the changing rooms and so on and so forth. There are other factors involved that generate proximity which you might not get in a game of tennis,” he said. Johnson had already
Hong Kong media reported that police briefly detained a man in a Liverpool team jersey who shouted “long live Liverpool” during anti-government protests on Wednesday, over suspicion that he was inciting independence. In-Media reported that the man was across the street from police officers who were conducting stop-and-searches on a group of protesters, when he shouted: “Long live Liverpool.” Others reportedly cheered and joined in the chant, before officers detained him. The man told In-Media that police had accused him of inciting Hong Kong independence, which now is a punishable crime. He said that he has been a fan of the English soccer
Indian police are investigating an alleged betting scandal in which a sham cricket tournament was held in an Indian village and passed off as a Twenty20 contest played in Sri Lanka. Players portrayed as Sri Lankan cricketers played two matches on Monday last week that were broadcast with live commentary on YouTube, media reports said, along with ball-by-ball coverage on top Indian sports Web sites. The organizers hung Sri Lankan advertisements at the ground for added authenticity and put up tents to block the view from outside the remote rural venue, set in farmland next to a busy highway. Police said that they
Raptors guard Fred VanVleet is already in Florida with the rest of his Toronto teammates, and he knows the time to take a stand and counter the NBA plan to restart the season has passed, but his opinion on the matter has not changed. “It sucks,” VanVleet said on Monday in a videoconference of his choice to return to the court during the COVID-19 pandemic and Black Lives Matter campaign. “It’s terrible timing, but that’s been 2020 for us. We all know the right thing to do is to not play, to take a stand. Morally, yes, that makes sense, but