Taipei City Deputy Mayor Ou Chin-der (歐晉德) apologized yesterday for the city's performance during recent flooding and called on city residents to prepare for Tropical Storm Bebinca, which is forecast to bring heavy rains today.
"As the chief commander of the rescue team, I apologize to the public for any negligence when Typhoon Xangsane struck," Ou said after a closed-door meeting to review the city's typhoon relief efforts.
Typhoon Xangsane, which battered the island last Wednesday and Thursday and claimed 62 lives, caused the worst flooding the city has seen in many years.
Although classes resumed yesterday and rescue work concluded late Sunday night, Ou said, there is still much room for improvement.
"We'd like to see district administrators, borough wardens and neighborhood chiefs get more involved in the emergency relief efforts in the future, and we will provide training courses to strengthen their response and relief abilities," he said.
In preparation for Tropical Storm Bebinca, Ou said, the city has been closely monitoring the water level of the Keelung River and Chingmei and Hsintien Creeks, which were the sources of major flooding in low-lying areas of the city's flood-prone districts of Wenshan, Neihu and Nankang when Typhoon Xangsane struck.
"Gutter cleaning squads have been working around the clock to dredge the gutters and sewers in the Wenshan, Neihu and Nankang districts. Squad members have so far removed a total of 1,745 tonnes of silt and plan to finish the job by tomorrow afternoon," he said.
In addition, many new methods will be applied in an attempt to better cope with the torrential rain expected today, Ou said.
"This time we plan to observe the water level in mountainous areas instead of in the city," he said.
Ou added that the city also plans to include Keelung City, Ilan County and Taoyuan County in the flood watch system this time.
"We hope the joint forecast contract which we signed with the Cabinet's National Science Council (
SCHEDULE: The delegation is due to meet with President Tsai Ing-wen this morning and witness the signing of an MOU on bilateral health cooperation in the afternoon US Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) Alex Azar yesterday arrived in Taipei aboard a US government plane at the head of a delegation that is the highest-level visit by a US official since Washington switched diplomatic recognition to China in 1979. Azar’s flight landed at Taipei International Airport (Songshan airport) at 4:48pm, nearly one hour earlier than scheduled, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said. The apron where it landed is reserved for military aircraft, the Songshan Air Force Base Command said. The members of Azar’s delegation included HHS Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response Robert Kadlec, HHS Chief of Staff Brian
CHINESE FIGHTERS: Beijing marked the US Cabinet member’s visit by briefly sending two warplanes across the median line of the Taiwan Strait yesterday morning President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) yesterday met with US Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar in the highest-level official meeting between the two nations since 1979. “It is a true honor to be here to convey a message of strong support and friendship from [US] President [Donald] Trump to Taiwan,” Azar said during the open portion of his courtesy call to the Presidential Office, which was streamed live online before Tsai and Azar held a closed-door meeting. “Taiwan’s response to COVID-19 has been among the most successful in the world, and that is a tribute to the open, transparent,
ALEX AZAR: The first visit by a head of the Department of Health and Human Services would strictly observe the CECC’s special regulations, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said US Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) Alex Azar is to lead a delegation to Taiwan — the highest-level visit by a US Cabinet official since the two sides cut formal relations in 1979. The plan was announced yesterday morning by the US Department of Health and Human Services and confirmed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA). Beijing has expressed its concerns to Washington, Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Wang Wenbin (汪文斌) said later yesterday. Taiwan and the US only issued statements saying that the visit would happen “in the coming days.” MOFA said that due to security concerns, it would
‘CROSS-STRAIT CONSIDERATIONS’: Groups said that the Ministry of Education’s policies excluded Chinese and students should not be blocked over political issues The Taiwan International Student Movement yesterday said it would protest today outside the Ministry of Education in Taipei against a policy that excludes some Chinese students from returning to Taiwan amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Since June 17, the ministry has allowed foreign students from 19 “low risk” and “medium-low risk” countries and regions to enter Taiwan. On July 22, it announced that it was relaxing restrictions to include students from all countries and regions who are graduating this semester and on Wednesday it further expanded entry to students enrolled in degree programs. A letter sent by the ministry on Wednesday to universities did