Six in intensive care after blast

STUDENTS INJURED::Many of the 25 injured in Thursday’s Songshan train carriage blast were school students, two of whom remain in intensive care

By Lee I-chia and Sean Lin  /  Staff reporters

Sat, Jul 09, 2016 - Page 1

Twenty-five people injured in an explosion on a train traveling to Songshan Railway Station on Thursday night were taken to six different hospitals in the city for emergency treatment, the Taipei Department of Health said yesterday.

As of press time last night, 10 had been discharged.

Of the 25 injured, six were taken to Taipei City Hospital’s Zhongxiao Branch, five to Taipei Medical University Hospital (TMUH), four to the Tri-Services General Hospital in Neihu District (內湖), two to Cathay General Hospital, three to Chang Gung Memorial Hospital and five to Tri-Services General Hospital in Songshan District (松山).

Six people were taken to intensive care units — one at Taipei City Hospital’s Zhongxiao Branch, two at Tri-Services General Hospital in Neihu District and three at TMUH.

TMUH yesterday morning said that three patients who were seriously injured were still being treated in the intensive care unit, including a 55-year-old man who had been intubated after inhalation injuries and second to third-degree burns over 13 percent of his body. The man was later identified by police as a likely suspect in the case.

A 39-year-old man with second-degree burns covering his hands and knees, totaling between 10 and 15 percent of his body, and a 37-year-old woman with hearing damage and second-degree burns on her legs, totaling about 15 percent of her body, remained in intensive care, TMUH deputy superintendent Huang Tsung-jen (黃聰仁) said.

A 14-year-old boy with burns covering 30 percent of his body was in intensive care at Taipei City Hospital’s Zhongxiao Branch. The patient was conscious with stable vital signs, hospital chief medical officer Hong Shih-chi (洪士奇) said.

Tri-Services General Hospital in Neihu District said its patients in intensive care were a 24-year-old man with second-degree burns covering 20 percent of his body, who had also been intubated because of inhalation injuries, and a 17-year-old boy with second-to-third-degree burns on his limbs that covered 18 percent of his body.

Chang Gung Memorial Hospital said its three patients were all discharged.

Taipei Mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲) visited Taipei City Hospital’s Zhongxiao Branch to check on those injured in the blast, which occurred around 10pm on Thursday night.

Ko said the city’s emergency medical care capacity is sufficient to take care of the needs of the injured passengers, adding that the Taipei Department of Social Welfare has deployed workers to all hospitals and that they would be available to all injured passengers and their families.

He said the city government would increase its patrols on the Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) System in the coming days.

The Taipei Police Department said it had added 94 officers to its usual MRT staffing levels at stations and in commuter carriages.

Officers were divided into three brigades and deployed at 12 major MRT stations, including Taipei City Hall, Zhongxiao Fuxing, Zhongshan, Ximen, Gongguan and Taipei Main Station, the department said.

It said it had also asked the New Taipei City Police Department to reinforce its patrols at MRT stations.

The Ministry of Education said that eight students and one school employee were among those injured.

Two students are from Taipei Municipal Chenggong Senior High School, two from Taipei Municipal Xingya Junior High School, one from New Taipei City Municipal Xiufeng High School, one from National Keelung Girls’ Senior High School, one from the Taipei College of Maritime Technology and one from New Taipei City’s Jinshan Elementary School Affiliated Kindergarten, as well as an employee at New Taipei City’s Yu Chang Technical and Vocational Senior High School, the ministry said.