PARIS ATTACKS: No evacuations planned

By Stacy Hsu  /  Staff reporter

Mon, Nov 16, 2015 - Page 1

Premier Mao Chi-kuo (毛治國) yesterday said that the government does not have plans to evacuate Taiwanese living in Paris in the wake of a series of attacks in the city on Friday that killed at least 129 people.

“The Paris terror attacks are astonishing and should be denounced,” Mao said.

“The government’s top priority is to ensure the safety of Taiwanese in France,” he said.

“Fortunately, everyone has been reported safe so far,” he added.

Mao said the government does not plan to evacuate any Taiwanese residing in the affected areas, but it would closely observe any developments.

Mao made the remarks on the sidelines of a campaign event for Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) legislative candidate Lai Shyh-bao (賴士葆), hours after the Ministry of Foreign Affairs raised the travel warning for the greater Paris area to “yellow” late on Saturday.

The ministry issued a “gray” travel advisory for other areas of France.

A “yellow” travel warning is the second-highest of a four-tier warning system implemented by the ministry in 2009. It advises people to pay special attention to personal safety when traveling to affected areas or reconsider any travel plans to the areas.

A “gray” alert means travelers are reminded about potential danger in an area.

Taiwanese in France can contact the Bureau of Representation of Taipei for emergency assistance.

The Bureau of Consular Affairs has activated a message board on its Web site, www.boca.gov.tw, so Taiwanese in France and their families in Taiwan can contact one another.

Mao said that given the ministry’s travel warning adjustment, Taiwanese tourists are urged to stay vigilant, adding that the government would endeavor to improve the nation’s border security.

Additional reporting by Shelley Shan