The National Security Bureau (NSB) yesterday confirmed that a former security guard of Vice President Wu Den-yih (吳敦義) had taken money from various event organizers while accompanying Wu on public events, but insisted that he had acted alone.
The Chinese-language weekly Next Magazine yesterday reported that Lin Shou-yi (林守義) was asking various groups or organizers for meal fees when accompanying Wu at public activities.
It said that most groups or event organizers would prepare meals or snacks for security guards, but Lin later began to ask for a “meal fee” from the groups and distributed the money to other guards on the spot.
Lin usually received between NT$15,000 and NT$20,000 as a “meal fee,” and the other guards would each get about NT$200 to NT$300, the article said, adding that Lin had been taking money at these activities from the time Wu served as premier.
When the bureau got a whiff of what Lin was up to, it launched an internal probe, which confirmed that Lin had asked for and received money at some of the events.
However, the bureau dismissed allegations that other security guards under the Hoping Guards’ Office, which is responsible for Wu’s public security, had also taken money.
Lin was removed from his post on May 28 over the incident and transferred back to Special Police Six Headquarters under the National Police Agency.
Hoping Guards’ Office chief Sheng Neng-ze (沈能策) and other guards have denied taking part in Lin’s demands or of taking money, the bureau said.
Wu is on a 12-day visit to the Latin American and Caribbean regions that began on Monday last week.