The Japanese government has not yet responded to a request to clearly indicate whether it would support Taiwan’s efforts to join a Japan-led international economic bloc, Minister of Foreign Affairs Joseph Wu (吳釗燮) said yesterday.
Wu told a meeting of the Legislative Yuan’s Foreign Affairs and National Defense Committee that the controversy over Taiwan’s efforts to join the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership arose after a majority of voters last month backed a referendum to maintain a ban on food imports from areas in Japan.
Japanese Minister of Foreign Affairs Taro Kono expressed disappointment at the results and said that Tokyo would consider filing a complaint with the WTO over the ban, which has been in place since the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant disaster in March 2011.
Photo: Chu Pei-hsiung, Taipei Times
Kono said that a decision to maintain the ban might hamper Taipei’s efforts to gain membership in the trade pact, which is to take effect on Dec. 30.
Asked by legislators whether Kono’s comments meant that Taiwan has little chance of joining the second wave of applications next year, Wu said that the ministry was still trying to confirm the Japanese government’s stance on the issue.
The nation has obtained information through other channels that indicated the ban would not affect its chances of joining the trade pact, but Kono has not openly stated this, Wu said.
The ministry has asked the Japanese government to clearly state its position on the issue and is awaiting a response, which is expected in a day or two, Wu said.
NINE NEW CASES: The CECC said two locally transmitted cases of COVID-19, and seven imported ones – five women and two men – brought the nation’s total to 348 People who refuse to wear a mask on public transportation after being asked to do so would face a NT$3,000 to NT$15,000 fine, effective immediately, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday after announcing nine additional COVID-19 cases. In a move to curtail the spread of the novel coronavirus, the Ministry of Transportation and Communications on Tuesday announced that people must wear masks on trains and intercity buses, while Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, on Tuesday said that people should wear them when they cannot maintain a social distance of 1.5m indoors. Chen yesterday
The US National Security Council yesterday thanked Taiwan for its support amid the COVID-19 pandemic following President Tsai Ing-wen’s (蔡英文) announcement that Taiwan would donate 10 million masks to hard-hit countries. The donation includes 2 million masks to the US on top of the weekly 100,000 announced previously; 7 million to Europe; and 1 million to diplomatic allies, on top of 1 million Taiwan procured for allies from their neighboring countries, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said on Wednesday. After European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen expressed appreciation for the donations, the US body yesterday wrote its thanks on Twitter. “We
TARGETED TEXTS: The center’s head said that visitor numbers at scenic spots were greater than expected and people did not do a very good job of social distancing The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday sent two warning text messages to urge people to practice social distancing, especially by avoiding crowded scenic areas. The two messages were sent at 11:55am on the third day of the four-day Tomb Sweeping Day weekend, reminding people about social distancing and hand hygiene to help prevent COVID-19 infection. “When visiting crowded scenic spots during the Tomb Sweeping Day weekend, please keep a social distance of at least 1.5m indoors and 1m outdoors, wear a mask and wash your hands frequently. Please wear a mask and seek immediate medical attention if you are feeling ill
STIMULUS FUNDS: Companies that report weak sales can apply for the financial aid, while subsidies for a one-time injection of working capital would also be available The Ministry of Economic Affairs yesterday said that it would subsidize up to 40 percent of workers’ salaries for businesses that have been hard hit by the COVID-19 pandemic. Funded by a NT$39.6 billion (US$1.31 billion) budget — part of a newly expanded NT$1.05 trillion economic stimulus package approved by the Executive Yuan on Thursday — the ministry plans to assist companies with employee wages to help prevent job cuts. Companies facing an annual drop in sales of at least 50 percent for two consecutive months can apply for the financial aid, which would cover up to 40 percent of their employees’