The Taiwan Blood Services Foundation yesterday urged people not to rush to donate blood to help those injured in Sunday’s train derailment in Yilan County, but donate regularly to maintain healthy blood stocks at all times.
The derailment of an eastbound Puyuma Express train near Sinma Train Station (新馬站) on Sunday afternoon killed 18 people and injured 190.
Blood donation stations nationwide were flooded yesterday with people wanting to donate blood to help the victims, and its Web site crashed due to the high volume of traffic from people seeking the locations of donation stations, the foundation said.
The national blood dispatch mechanism was activated in response to the accident, the foundation said.
The Taipei Blood Center’s Yilan Blood Donation Station immediately distributed blood to the hospitals where injured passengers were taken, and 441 units of blood were sent from Taipei to the Yilan station on Sunday evening, the foundation said.
The Taipei center sent a second batch of blood products yesterday, while the Hsinchu center sent 500 units of blood, the foundation said.
Foundation public relations director Li Lei (黎蕾) said the Yilan Blood Donation Station now has about five times its normal blood stock, so there is no need for people to rush to donate blood now.
However, people who meet donation requirements — those aged from 17 to 64, with a body weight of more than 45kg for women and 50kg for men — should consider making regular donations to help maintain a sufficient stock of blood to meet the transfusion needs at all times, Li said.
Various blood product donations have a short shelf life, so large quantities of blood donated at one time cannot be stockpiled for long-term use, she said.
For example, units of platelets expire in five days, while red blood cells last a maximum of 35 days, she said.
NINE NEW CASES: The CECC said two locally transmitted cases of COVID-19, and seven imported ones – five women and two men – brought the nation’s total to 348 People who refuse to wear a mask on public transportation after being asked to do so would face a NT$3,000 to NT$15,000 fine, effective immediately, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday after announcing nine additional COVID-19 cases. In a move to curtail the spread of the novel coronavirus, the Ministry of Transportation and Communications on Tuesday announced that people must wear masks on trains and intercity buses, while Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, on Tuesday said that people should wear them when they cannot maintain a social distance of 1.5m indoors. Chen yesterday
TRILLION PROPOSED: The premier said the goal was to keep ‘businesses solvent, the unemployment rate down, transportation and logistics going, and cash flowing’ The Executive Yuan yesterday announced an expanded economic stimulus package totaling NT$1.05 trillion (US$34.64 billion), including NT$81.6 billion in subsidies for employers to prevent a spike in unemployment. The increased budget comprises a special budget of NT$210 billion, up from the NT$60 billion already passed by the Legislative Yuan; NT$140 billion — up from NT$40 billion — to be appropriated from the general budget; and NT$700 billion in loans to industries affected by the COVID-19 pandemic, Directorate-General of Budget, Accounting and Statistics Minister Chu Tzer-ming (朱澤民) told a news conference at the Executive Yuan in Taipei. The NT$150 billion increase in the
The US National Security Council yesterday thanked Taiwan for its support amid the COVID-19 pandemic following President Tsai Ing-wen’s (蔡英文) announcement that Taiwan would donate 10 million masks to hard-hit countries. The donation includes 2 million masks to the US on top of the weekly 100,000 announced previously; 7 million to Europe; and 1 million to diplomatic allies, on top of 1 million Taiwan procured for allies from their neighboring countries, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said on Wednesday. After European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen expressed appreciation for the donations, the US body yesterday wrote its thanks on Twitter. “We
TARGETED TEXTS: The center’s head said that visitor numbers at scenic spots were greater than expected and people did not do a very good job of social distancing The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday sent two warning text messages to urge people to practice social distancing, especially by avoiding crowded scenic areas. The two messages were sent at 11:55am on the third day of the four-day Tomb Sweeping Day weekend, reminding people about social distancing and hand hygiene to help prevent COVID-19 infection. “When visiting crowded scenic spots during the Tomb Sweeping Day weekend, please keep a social distance of at least 1.5m indoors and 1m outdoors, wear a mask and wash your hands frequently. Please wear a mask and seek immediate medical attention if you are feeling ill