Taiwan’s representative offices overseas are operating smoothly, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said yesterday, after Papua New Guinea (PNG) asked the Taiwan office there to change its name due to Chinese pressure.
Speaking at a routine news conference in Taipei, ministry spokesman Andrew Lee (李憲章) said that the Trade Mission of the Republic of China (on Taiwan) in Papua New Guinea had been asked to change its name, as well as remove its nameplate and diplomatic license plates on vehicles.
The request came from the PNG government as a result of pressure from Beijing, and the ministry has lodged a protest with PNG’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade and its representative office in Taiwan, Lee said.
“We are still fighting for our rights,” Lee said, adding that negotiations were ongoing.
“It is deeply regrettable that at a time when our nation is recovering from the aftermath of the Hualien earthquake, Beijing chose to blatantly publicize its suppression of Taiwan, hurting the feelings of Taiwanese and provoking negative reactions,” he said.
Lee was referring to comments made on Sunday by Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Geng Shuang (耿爽) in response to reporters’ questions over allegations that the Taiwan trade office had been asked to rename itself the “Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Papua New Guinea.”
Geng’s response was published on the ministry’s official WeChat account, in which he said the Chinese government “acknowledges and highly appreciates” the PNG government’s adherence to the “one China” principle in handling Taiwan-related issues.
“It is just further proof that upholding the ‘one China’ principle is the consensus of the international community and corresponds with the trend of the times,” Geng said.
Asked whether the name change was requested due to the term “Republic of China (on Taiwan)” and if it is to be replaced with “Taipei,” Lee declined to comment, saying the potential name adjustment pertained to ongoing negotiations between the two sides.
KEEP AWAY: People should wear a mask in places where they cannot follow social distancing rules, the CECC said, adding that it would publish detailed guidelines today The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday announced 16 new cases of COVID-19, including two domestic cases, as it urged people to practice social distancing in public spaces by keeping a distance of at least 1m when outdoors and 1.5m indoors. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that seven of the new cases tested positive upon their arrival at the airport, four were under home quarantine, one was under home isolation and two were under self-health management, while the two domestic cases sought treatment on their own. The domestic cases are a man in his
Taiwan will negotiate with the WHO about its participation without Beijing’s help and intervention as more countries, including Australia and Japan, are partnering with Taiwan to curb the COVID-19 pandemic, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said yesterday. US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo in a telephonic roundtable with reporters on Monday also supported Taiwan’s role in the WHO, saying the US Department of State would do its best to assist Taiwan’s “appropriate role” in the world’s highest health policy setting body, Voice of America reported. In a Japan Business Press report published on Sunday, Chinese Ambassador to Japan Kong Xuanyou (孔鉉佑) said
Japan’s ruling party yesterday proposed the nation’s biggest-ever stimulus package of ￥60 trillion (US$554 billion) as the COVID-19 pandemic locks the economy in a recession. The sum includes ￥20 trillion in fiscal measures with private initiatives and other elements likely making up the rest, the proposal by the Liberal Democratic Party showed. More than ￥10 trillion, or the equivalent of a 5 percentage point cut in the sales tax rate, would be handed out to the public in a combination of cash, subsidies and coupons, the plan showed. The proposal puts an initial figure on a stimulus package that Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo
Malaysian authorities have advised women to wear makeup, not to nag their husbands and speak with a cartoon character’s soothing voice during the virus lockdown, sparking a flood of mockery online. Like many countries, Malaysia has ordered all citizens to stay at home to stem the spread of COVID-19, which, as of yesterday, had killed at least 39,070 people globally. In a series of online posters with the hashtag #WomenPreventCOVID19, the Malaysian Ministry of Women and Family Development issued advice on how to avoid domestic conflicts during the partial lockdown, which began on March 18. One of the campaign posters depicted