Fri, Feb 09, 2018 - Page 1 News List

Hualien quake death toll reaches 10

NOT OVER:Rescue work at the Marshal Hotel and two buildings on Guosheng 6th Street has been completed, but work at the Yun Men Tsui Ti building was continuing

By Shelley Shan  /  Staff reporter

Meanwhile, the number of schools damaged in this week’s earthquakes yesterday rose to 158, with losses estimated at more than NT$80 million.

Of the 47 affected schools in Hualien County, Zhongzheng Elementary School suffered the most damage, estimated at NT$16 million, the Ministry of Education said.

Minister of Education Pan Wen-chung (潘文忠) yesterday inspected damaged schools in the county and said the ministry would send professionals to examine the structural damage to the buildings and allocate NT$30 million for repairs and reconstruction.

Hualien County’s electricity had been fully restored by 1pm yesterday, but at 6pm the water supply to 9,000 households was still cut off due to leaking pipes.

Eight telecom base stations had yet to be repaired.

Additional reporting by Ann Maxon

This story has been viewed 12885 times.

Comments will be moderated. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned.

TOP top