The Supreme Court yesterday rejected an appeal by Chang Guann Co Ltd (強冠企業) executives against convictions for their role in the 2014 food scandal that saw the company sell recycled waste oils as edible lard to the food industry.
Company chairman Yeh Wen-hsiang (葉文祥) and deputy general manager Tai Chi-chuan (戴啟川) do not have legal grounds for an appeal, the Supreme Court said, dismissing their legal challenge against a High Court decision made in August last year.
The Supreme Court decision is final and Yeh and Tai are to serve the sentences handed down by High Court, the Supreme Court said.
Photo: Chang Chung-yi, Taipei Times
Yeh was found guilty of 285 charges, ranging from aggravated fraud to violations of the Act Governing Food Safety and Sanitation (食品安全衛生管理法).
He has been sentenced to 22 years in prison, with five years commutable to a fine.
Tai has been sentenced to 18 years in prison, with four years commutable to a fine.
The High Court last year fined Chang Guann NT$120 million (US$3.99 million at the current exchange rate) and confiscated NT$81.5 million of the company’s funds in accordance with the Criminal Code (刑法) which was amended a month prior to the judgement.
However, the Supreme Court remanded convictions against oil manufacturing subcontractor Kuo Lieh-cheng (郭烈成) — also known as Kuo Ying-chih (郭盈智) — and a truck driver surnamed Shih (施), to the High Court, saying their convictions were “incomplete and contradictory.”
The oil scandal became public knowledge in 2014, when a farmer in Pingtung County’s Jhutian Township (竹田) reported Kuo’s unlicensed factory to police.
Investigators accused Kuo of manufacturing oil to be sold for human consumption from animal-feed oil and leather-care products, which were collected by Shih and sold to Yeh and Tai.
Yeh and Tai knowingly procured the recycled oil at between NT$26 and NT$30 per kilogram and processed it into various lard products that they sold to 285 food industry producers at between NT$40 and NT$55 per kilogram, prosecutors said.
Chang Guann derived more than NT$40 million in profits from the production, prosecutors said.
The case was first tried at the Pingtung District Court, which found the defendants guilty in July 2015.
Yeh and Tai were each sentenced to 20 years in prison, with five years commutable to a fine.
Kuo was sentenced to 12 years in prison and Shih to eight.
The defendants filed appeals and the case was tried at the High Court’s Kaohsiung branch.
In August last year, the court handed down heavier sentences to Yeh and Tai, and increased the fine on Chang Guann.
The high court sentenced Kuo to 23 years and six months in prison and Shih to two years and six months, which were overturned by the Supreme Court’s decision yesterday.
They are to be retried at the High Court’s Kaohsiung branch.
TWEET CONFIRMED: The US’ Morgan Ortagus backed up Taiwan, saying China only admitted that human-to-human transmission was possible as late as Jan. 20 Taiwan warned the WHO and China about possible human-to-human transmission of the new coronavirus at the end of last year, but the global health body did not make it public, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said yesterday. Department of International Organizations Director-General Bob Chen (陳龍錦) made the remark at a news briefing in Taipei, when asked about statements made by US Department of State spokeswoman Morgan Ortagus. “Dec. 31— that’s the same day Taiwan first tried to warn WHO of human-human transmission. Chinese authorities meanwhile silenced doctors and refused to admit human-human transmission until Jan. 20, with catastrophic consequences,” Ortagus wrote on
ON THE LOOKOUT: A Lockheed EP-3 reconnaissance plane was yesterday seen flying southwest of Kaohsiung, according to Twitter account ‘Aircraft Spots’ A Twitter account that tracks military aircraft movements has indicated an increase in US military activity near Taiwan, coinciding with an increase in Chinese military activity in the area. Planes from the US Seventh Fleet have been sighted frequently above the South China Sea in the past several days, and a US Navy EP-3 reconnaissance plane was seen flying close to Taiwanese airspace southwest of Kaohsiung yesterday, according to posts by the Twitter account Aircraft Spots. The EP-3 was seen circling above the same area, Aircraft Spots said, adding that other planes from the fleet were seen in the past few days
A Taipei resident who had breached his home quarantine order was found on Tuesday night in an Internet cafe and fined NT$1 million (US$32,976), Taipei Deputy Mayor Vivian Huang (黃珊珊) said yesterday, as the Taipei City Government announced a short-term COVID-19 relief plan. Huang on Tuesday afternoon publicized the name of the man, Chen Tse (陳冊), who on Saturday last week returned from Beijing and was ordered to undergo 14-day home quarantine. However, city monitoring officials were unable to contact him by mobile phone or at his home. Chen was found by police at an Internet cafe on Nanyang Street, Huang said
ACCLIMATION: Chen Shih-chung said that only ‘soft’ policies have been carried out so far, but ‘hard’ measures would be implemented if the coronavirus situation worsens The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday recommended that indoor events of more than 100 people and outdoor events with more than 500 people should be canceled, as 19 new imported cases of COVID-19 were announced, bringing the total number in Taiwan to 235. “The center recommends that from now, indoor events of more than 100 people and outdoor events with more than 500 people should be suspended to reduce the risk of COVID-19 community transmission,” said Deputy Minister of the Interior Chen Tsung-yen (陳宗彥), deputy head of the center. Event organizers should refer to six indicators listed in the response guidelines