A fire that tore through a nursing home in New Taipei City yesterday killed six people and injured 28.
TV footage showed elderly people being evacuated from the facility, some in clothes blackened by smoke.
Three bodies were found in the Le Huo Nursing Center (樂活老人長照) in a 10-story building in New Taipei City’s Sindian District (新店), while rescuers rushed 31 to hospital.
“Three bodies were found in a room where the deadly fire likely started,” a New Taipei City Fire Department official said.
“As they were all charred, they could not be immediately identified,” she said.
A further three people — aged 79, 87 and 95 years old — were later pronounced dead, while 17 were found to be suffering from serious injuries, the fire department said.
Photo: Chiang Shiang, Taipei Times
All of the identified dead were women, it said.
The fire broke out about 7am and was extinguished in about 30 minutes, but the evacuation process was made more difficult because most of the elderly residents were bedridden or wheelchair-bound, the department added.
Authorities were investigating the cause of the blaze.
They were also looking into claims that insufficient staffing at the home had further complicated the rescue effort.
“The facility passed inspections, but we are investigating if its response [to the fire] and the staffing on the day met regulations,” New Taipei City Deputy Mayor Hou You-yi (侯友宜) told reporters.
The facility has seven staff members, authorities said.
Local media reported that there were only two or three workers looking after about 40 residents at the time of the fire.
It was not immediately clear how many residents were present when the blaze broke out and how many managed to escape.
The owner of the nursing home, Ching Pao-ling (井寶琳), was taken by police for questioning.
FORCED LABOR: Customs officials have seized a 11.8 tonne shipment of products made from human hair on suspicion they were produced by people facing human rights abuses Federal authorities in New York City on Wednesday seized a shipment of weaves and other beauty accessories suspected to be made out of human hair taken from people locked inside a Chinese internment camp. US Customs and Border Protection (CPB) officials said that 11.8 tonnes of hair products worth an estimated US$800,000 were in the shipment. “The production of these goods constitutes a very serious human rights violation, and the detention order is intended to send a clear and direct message to all entities seeking to do business with the United States that illicit and inhumane practices will not be tolerated in
JUST QUESTIONS: Expelled reporter Ai Kezhu said that every member of Southeast Television had complied with the law and had not appeared on any talk shows Two Chinese reporters yesterday left Taiwan after the government revoked their accreditation and ordered them to leave amid a probe into allegations that several Chinese media outlets have set up studios and produced political talk shows in Taiwan. The two reporters — Ai Kezhu (艾珂竹) and Lu Qiang (盧薔) — worked for Fujian Province-based Southeast Television and arrived in Taiwan in December last year. The Mainland Affairs Council has launched an investigation after local media reported that Chinese broadcasters — including China Central Television, Southeast Television and FJTV — had set up studios in Taipei and produced political talk shows. Council Deputy Minister
UPTICK IN NUMBERS: The Taipei deputy mayor said the city has services to assist new immigrants, but has established an office specifically to help those from Hong Kong The Taiwan-Hong Kong Services and Exchanges Office today officially opens, where it is to provide humanitarian assistance to Hong Kongers, after Beijing yesterday passed a controversial national security law for the territory. President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) expressed dismay over China’s passage of the law, saying that Beijing has broken its pledge to allow Hong Kong to maintain a high degree of autonomy for at least 50 years following its handover from the UK. “I feel extremely disappointed [about the law’s passage], which means China did not keep its promise to Hong Kong,” Tsai said in Taipei. Beijing’s “broken promise” also
‘BASELESS ACCUSATIONS’: Ker Chien-ming said it was not possible to drop Chen Chu’s nomination, while KMT lawmakers accused their DPP rivals of ‘homicidal behavior’ The Legislative Yuan is to vote on President Tsai Ing-wen’s (蔡英文) nominations for the Control Yuan on July 17 after Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) legislators regained access to the legislative chamber yesterday after it was occupied by Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) lawmakers for about 19 hours. The Legislative Yuan had been scheduled to meet yesterday morning to discuss its planned extraordinary session, but more than 20 KMT lawmakers on Sunday afternoon broke into the main chamber and occupied the legislative speaker’s podium to protest Tsai’s nomination of former Presidential Office secretary-general Chen Chu (陳菊) to be Control Yuan president. The KMT caucus