A suicide bomber blew himself up near the US consulate in the western Saudi Arabian city of Jeddah in the early hours of US Independence Day yesterday, wounding two security officers.
The Saudi Ministry of the Interior said the two officers suffered minor injuries, while the US embassy in Riyadh said there were no casualties or injuries among US consulate staff.
The ministry did not specify whether the bomber intended to target the consulate, saying that an investigation was under way.
The incident came amid a wave of attacks claimed by the Islamic State (IS) group or blamed on the extremists, including a suicide bombing in Baghdad on Sunday that killed more at least 213 people and the recent attacks in Bangladesh and at Istanbul airport.
It happened before the end this week of the holy month of Ramadan, when Muslims fast from dawn until dusk.
The interior ministry said security personnel became suspicious of a man near the parking lot of a hospital which is opposite the US diplomatic mission.
When they moved in to investigate at about 2:15am, the man “blew himself up with a suicide belt inside the hospital parking lot,” the ministry said.
A picture carried by the Sabq online media outlet — which is close to the Saudi authorities — showed what appeared to be the remains of a man lying on the ground between a taxi and the open door of another car that was peppered with holes.
In a security notice posted on its Web site, the US embassy noted media reports of “a suspected suicide attack near the US consulate in Jeddah... which occurred in the early morning hours of July 4.”
“There are no casualties or injuries among US consulate staff. Media report two Saudi police officers were injured,” it said.
“The US embassy and consulate remain in contact with the Saudi authorities as they investigate the incident,” it added, urging Americans to “take extra precautions when traveling throughout the country.”
It was not immediately clear who might have been behind yesterday’s incident, but since late 2014 Saudi security officers and minority Shiites have been hit by deadly violence claimed by IS.
Branding Saudi Arabia’s rulers “apostate tyrants,” IS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi has called for attacks on the nation, which is taking part in the US-led coalition bombing the extremists in Syria and Iraq.
In May, the interior ministry said four suspected Muslim militants died — two by blowing themselves up — during a raid east of Jeddah.
Two of them were wanted for some of the deadliest recent attacks in the nation.
These included the suicide bombing which killed 15 people at a mosque inside a Saudi special forces compound in the southwestern city of Abha in August last year.
Another suspect killed in the May raid was sought in connection with deadly suicide blasts at two Shiite mosques in the east of the nation.
‘NOT AN INCH’: The president said after incursions by Chinese warplanes that there should be very smooth collaboration between the executive and military branches President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) yesterday said that Taiwan would not budge “an inch” on issues of sovereign territory and would stalwartly defend its democratic freedoms. Tsai made the remarks during an inspection of surface-to-air missiles at an air force base in Hualien. She was accompanied by National Security Council (NSC) Secretary-General Wellington Koo (顧立雄), Minister of National Defense Yen De-fa (嚴德發), Chief of the General Staff Huang Shu-kuang (黃曙光) and Republic of China Air Force Commander Hsiung Hou-chi (熊厚基). After attending a briefing, Tsai was given a demonstration of procedures for a missile launch. Tsai granted the base a one-time subsidy to boost troop
RIVERSIDE CAMP: As rescuers continued their search for a missing man, Taipower said that the floodgates at a hydro plant on the Lishi Creek opened due to a malfunction Three people have been confirmed dead and one was missing after being swept away by a flash flood while camping in Nantou County’s Renai Township (仁愛), police said yesterday. Six people from two families were camping near Lishi Creek (栗栖溪) when the riverbanks were suddenly flooded just after 4am, carrying away four of the campers — including two children — who were asleep in their tents, police said. A man who was among those swept away was able to climb ashore and call for help, police said, adding that another man had gone missing in the turmoil at the campsite.
ON THEIR OWN: The KMT has decided not to participate as a party at this year’s forum, and if any members do go, they would not be representing the party, Alicia Wang said The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) yesterday announced that it would not send a delegation “as a political party” to this year’s Straits Forum, after a Chinese TV program described the planned visit to the annual meeting as “suing for peace.” The 12th forum is scheduled to open in Xiamen, China, on Saturday. On Tuesday last week, the KMT announced that former legislative speaker Wang Jin-pyng (王金平) would lead the party’s delegation to the forum, with KMT Secretary-General Lee Chien-lung (李乾龍) as deputy head. However, on Thursday last week, China Central Television’s (CCTV) Yangshipin (央視頻) program, hosted by Li Hong (李紅), included a headline
‘NO EQUILIBRIUM’: Taiwan’s increased defense spending is a good step, but it needs to do more to have the ability to deter aggression from China, a senior US official said The US plans to sell as many as seven major weapons systems — including mines, cruise missiles and drones — to Taiwan, four people familiar with the discussions said. Pursuing seven sales at once is a rare departure from years of precedent in which US military sales to Taiwan were spaced out and carefully calibrated to minimize tensions with Beijing. However, US President Donald Trump’s administration has this year become more aggressive with China, and the sales would land as relations between Beijing and Washington are at their lowest point in decades over accusations of spying, lingering trade tensions, disputes about the