Vietnamese police yesterday detained scores of people as they broke up a protest against a Taiwanese company accused of being behind a toxic leak that has caused mass fish deaths off the central coast.
The protest in Hanoi — which follows a similar demonstration last weekend — was swiftly dispersed by authorities yesterday morning, a reporter witnessed, in a communist country where all shows of dissent are tightly controlled.
Several hundred demonstrators had gathered in the heart of the capital outraged at the poisoning of waters near Ha Tinh Province that has left tonnes of fish and clams dead and devastated the local fishing industry, accusing Formosa Plastics (台塑) of overseeing a toxic leak at its US$10.6 billion coastal steel plant.
“Never has the Vietnamese sea been this badly polluted,” army veteran Nguyen Manh Trung, 68, told reporters.
However, “the police are now more and more professional in breaking up protests,” he added of the scores of people taken away in unmarked cars.
Vietnamese Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung has vowed to get tough on those responsible for the leak, but an official inquiry has yet to apportion blame.
However, state-run media pointed the finger at a 1.5km wastewater pipeline from Formosa’s steel plant into the ocean.
The company has a bad record of environmental scandals around the globe. However, it has not formally been linked to the mass fish poisoning.
As the scandal unfolded last month, a Formosa communications official was sacked after he said Vietnam needs “to choose whether to catch fish and shrimp or to build a state-of-the-art steel mill.”
“You cannot have both,” the official said.
The company later apologized for the comments and has launched its own inquiry, but public anger is snowballing.
Vietnam’s central provinces are heavily dependent on seafood, including farmed shrimp, catfish and wild-caught tuna.
Last year the country generated US$6.6 billion from seafood exports.
TARGETED TEXTS: The center’s head said that visitor numbers at scenic spots were greater than expected and people did not do a very good job of social distancing The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday sent two warning text messages to urge people to practice social distancing, especially by avoiding crowded scenic areas. The two messages were sent at 11:55am on the third day of the four-day Tomb Sweeping Day weekend, reminding people about social distancing and hand hygiene to help prevent COVID-19 infection. “When visiting crowded scenic spots during the Tomb Sweeping Day weekend, please keep a social distance of at least 1.5m indoors and 1m outdoors, wear a mask and wash your hands frequently. Please wear a mask and seek immediate medical attention if you are feeling ill
There is no need to lock down Taipei, but the International Workers’ Day long weekend from May 1 to 3 should be postponed, a public health researcher said yesterday. Although the spread of COVID-19 in Taiwan has not reached an extent that would necessitate the closure of any area, large crowds that gathered over the Tomb Sweeping Day holiday, which ends today, showed reduced vigilance among some people, National Taiwan University College of Public Health dean Chan Chang-chuan (詹長權) said. This reduced vigilance increases the risk of the virus spreading, Chan said, adding that the government should push back national holidays to
As more schools shift to distance learning due to the COVID-19 pandemic, lawmakers in Taipei yesterday urged the Ministry of Education to pay attention to the security risks associated with using the remote conferencing service Zoom. Following reports about privacy and security issues with Zoom, including that it sends data to China, groups such as NASA, the New York City government and the UK’s Ministry of Defence have reportedly banned its use. Zoom founder and chief executive officer Eric Yuan (袁征), a Chinese-American, has apologized, saying that the company would freeze the development of new features and shift its resources to
Seven new cases of COVID-19, including one domestic case, were reported yesterday by the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC), which added “diarrhea of unknown cause” to the criteria for reporting suspected cases. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said the domestic case — the nation’s 352nd — is a man in his 40s who lives alone, did not travel abroad recently and began showing symptoms on Monday. “The man sought treatment for a fever at a clinic on March 30, went to the same clinic again on April 1 for loss of taste and smell, and