A 17-year-old boy was charged with four counts of first-degree murder and seven counts of attempted murder in a mass shooting at a school and home in a remote First Nations community in western Canada, officials said.
Police said the male suspect cannot be named under Canada’s Youth Criminal Justice Act.
Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) Superintendent Grant Saint-Germaine said nine people were shot at the school, including a female teacher’s aide who died at the scene, and a male teacher who died in a hospital.
He said that seven people wounded in Friday’s shooting at the school were hospitalized.
Two brothers, 17-year-old Dayne Fountaine and 13-year-old Drayden, were shot and killed in a home before the shooter headed to the La Loche Community School, police said.
Police responded to a call of shots fired at the school shortly after the lunch hour.
RCMP Commanding Officer Brenda Butterworth-Carr said that, when officers arrived at the school, they saw the front door had been shot open.
They entered the school, spotted the suspect and gave chase before apprehending him, she said.
He is due in court next week.
Police on Saturday said that they were not aware of a motive and declined to say what type of gun was used.
The school is in the remote Dene Aboriginal community of La Loche in Saskatchewan Province. La Loche is a community of less than 3,000 people.
“This is a significant event for Canada,” Saint-Germaine said. “It is a huge impact on the community of La Loche. It is a part of changing times. We are seeing more violence.”
Residents lit candles and placed flowers at a makeshift memorial outside the school.
Shootings at schools or on university campuses are rare in Canada. The nation’s bloodiest mass shooting occurred on Dec. 6, 1989, at Montreal’s Ecole Polytechnique, when Marc Lepine entered a college classroom at the engineering school, separated the men from the women, told the men to leave and opened fire, killing 14 women before killing himself.
The educational assistant killed at the Saskatchewan school was identified as 21-year-old Marie Janvier.
Deegan Park, her boyfriend of three years, said he would have given up the rest of his life just to spend another year with her.
“I grew up not a good guy, but she turned me right,” Park said. “She was that much of a great person to turn me right from all the wrongdoings I used to do... She was a fantastic person.”
“I loved her, I really did,” said Park, who added that he remembered her smile and how she would blush when she was happy.
Kevin Janvier said his daughter was an only child, adding: “I am just so sad.”
Ashton Lemaigre, a teacher at the school and friend of Marie Janvier, said she worked as a teacher’s aide in his classroom. He said she was kind and patient with children and planned to get her teaching degree.
“The kids loved having her around,” Lemaigre said. “They would just come running to her. She was just a friend to everybody.”
A second person killed was identified as 35-year-old Adam Wood, a new teacher at the school.
BRIBERY CASE: President Tsai Ing-wen accepted Su Jia-chyuan’s resignation as he said that he deeply regretted causing trouble for the president due to the investigation Presidential Office Secretary-General Su Jia-chyuan (蘇嘉全) yesterday resigned after his nephew, Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator Su Chen-ching (蘇震清), was implicated in a bribery case related to a dispute over the ownership of Pacific Sogo Department Store (太平洋崇光百貨). “I resigned from the post so that President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) would not be bothered by it anymore, and the prosecutors can investigate the case in a fair and just manner. I thank President Tsai once again for supporting me. May the country continue to prosper under her leadership,” Su Jia-chyuan said in a statement. The Presidential Office said that Tsai has accepted
ALEX AZAR: The first visit by a head of the Department of Health and Human Services would strictly observe the CECC’s special regulations, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said US Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) Alex Azar is to lead a delegation to Taiwan — the highest-level visit by a US Cabinet official since the two sides cut formal relations in 1979. The plan was announced yesterday morning by the US Department of Health and Human Services and confirmed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA). Beijing has expressed its concerns to Washington, Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Wang Wenbin (汪文斌) said later yesterday. Taiwan and the US only issued statements saying that the visit would happen “in the coming days.” MOFA said that due to security concerns, it would
‘CROSS-STRAIT CONSIDERATIONS’: Groups said that the Ministry of Education’s policies excluded Chinese and students should not be blocked over political issues The Taiwan International Student Movement yesterday said it would protest today outside the Ministry of Education in Taipei against a policy that excludes some Chinese students from returning to Taiwan amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Since June 17, the ministry has allowed foreign students from 19 “low risk” and “medium-low risk” countries and regions to enter Taiwan. On July 22, it announced that it was relaxing restrictions to include students from all countries and regions who are graduating this semester and on Wednesday it further expanded entry to students enrolled in degree programs. A letter sent by the ministry on Wednesday to universities did
The military last week sent “no small number” of Marine Corps officers to the Pratas Islands (Dongsha Island, 東沙群島) following reports of a Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) drill targeting the islands scheduled for this month. In an interview with Hong Kong’s Bauhinia Magazine published on Saturday last week, PLA National Defense University professor Li Daguang (李大光) confirmed that the Chinese army was planning to stage a simulated invasion of the Pratas Islands in the South China Sea this month. The islands comprise three atolls, with Pratas Island, at 1.74km2, being the largest. They lie southwest of Taiwan proper in the South