High-brow art house theaters and low-key college town cinemas became the unlikely stars of a Hollywood comeback by convincing the powerful Sony Pictures studio on Tuesday to let them screen The Interview, the film shunned by the multiplexes and corporate chains.
Film buyer Jan Klingelhofer found herself in down-to-the-wire dealings with a studio known for its careful planning.
“I think everybody has been doing a certain amount of this on the fly,” said Klingelhofer, who runs Pacific Film Resources in Oakland, California.
“This is completely atypical of Sony’s usual deliberate and precise manner of doing business,” she said. “They’ve really had to step up.”
Independent cinemas normally would not be considered the landing spot for a lowbrow satire starring Seth Rogen and James Franco, leading stars for stoner, gross-out comedy. The Interview, codirected by Rogen, depicts a fictional plot to assassinate North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and has incensed the reclusive nation now blamed for a devastating cyberattack on Sony Pictures.
The Hollywood studio said last week that it pulled The Interview after the biggest North American theater chains backed out citing security concerns.
Sony Corp’s reversal came after it faced criticism from the public and US President Barack Obama that the Hollywood studio had capitulated to hackers and self-censorship.
Russell Collins, who runs the State Theatre in Ann Arbor, Michigan, said he launched an online campaign among the industry’s independent theaters to screen The Interview to support free speech.
Sony Pictures said more than 200 US theaters are to screen the US$44 million film as of Christmas Day, less than 10 percent of the number of theaters in a typical nationwide release.
“We were happy to play a role to support the colleagues we work with at Sony and be sympathetic with their great difficulty to exhibit the film,” Collins said.
Klingelhofer, who negotiated the film for Collins, said the agreements with independent cinemas were put together so quickly there was no talk of minimum-length runs.
“They were much more open to a non-standardized arrangement than they would be normally,” she said, adding that any security arrangements at cinemas would be left to theater operators.
Klingelhofer surmised that issues could arise down the road between Sony and some art house theaters over ticket prices.
BRIBERY CASE: President Tsai Ing-wen accepted Su Jia-chyuan’s resignation as he said that he deeply regretted causing trouble for the president due to the investigation Presidential Office Secretary-General Su Jia-chyuan (蘇嘉全) yesterday resigned after his nephew, Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator Su Chen-ching (蘇震清), was implicated in a bribery case related to a dispute over the ownership of Pacific Sogo Department Store (太平洋崇光百貨). “I resigned from the post so that President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) would not be bothered by it anymore, and the prosecutors can investigate the case in a fair and just manner. I thank President Tsai once again for supporting me. May the country continue to prosper under her leadership,” Su Jia-chyuan said in a statement. The Presidential Office said that Tsai has accepted
ALEX AZAR: The first visit by a head of the Department of Health and Human Services would strictly observe the CECC’s special regulations, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said US Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) Alex Azar is to lead a delegation to Taiwan — the highest-level visit by a US Cabinet official since the two sides cut formal relations in 1979. The plan was announced yesterday morning by the US Department of Health and Human Services and confirmed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA). Beijing has expressed its concerns to Washington, Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Wang Wenbin (汪文斌) said later yesterday. Taiwan and the US only issued statements saying that the visit would happen “in the coming days.” MOFA said that due to security concerns, it would
‘CROSS-STRAIT CONSIDERATIONS’: Groups said that the Ministry of Education’s policies excluded Chinese and students should not be blocked over political issues The Taiwan International Student Movement yesterday said it would protest today outside the Ministry of Education in Taipei against a policy that excludes some Chinese students from returning to Taiwan amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Since June 17, the ministry has allowed foreign students from 19 “low risk” and “medium-low risk” countries and regions to enter Taiwan. On July 22, it announced that it was relaxing restrictions to include students from all countries and regions who are graduating this semester and on Wednesday it further expanded entry to students enrolled in degree programs. A letter sent by the ministry on Wednesday to universities did
The military last week sent “no small number” of Marine Corps officers to the Pratas Islands (Dongsha Island, 東沙群島) following reports of a Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) drill targeting the islands scheduled for this month. In an interview with Hong Kong’s Bauhinia Magazine published on Saturday last week, PLA National Defense University professor Li Daguang (李大光) confirmed that the Chinese army was planning to stage a simulated invasion of the Pratas Islands in the South China Sea this month. The islands comprise three atolls, with Pratas Island, at 1.74km2, being the largest. They lie southwest of Taiwan proper in the South