South Korean rescuers, including elite navy SEAL divers, worked frantically under floodlights yesterday in an attempt to find nearly 300 people missing after a ferry sank with 459 on board, mostly high-school students bound for a holiday island.
South Korean Vice Minister of Security and Public Administration Lee Gyeong-og said 164 people had been rescued, leaving 291 “unaccounted for.”
There were four confirmed deaths, including a female crew member and a student. There are fears the confirmed death toll could rise sharply. The 6,825 tonne Sewol listed violently, capsized and finally sank — all within two hours of sending a distress signal at 9am.
“I’m afraid there’s little chance for those trapped inside still to be alive,” senior rescue team official Cho Yang-bok told YTN television as teams of divers struggled to access the submerged ferry.
Television footage showed terrified passengers wearing life jackets clambering into inflatable boats as water lapped over the rails of the vessel as it sank 20km off the southern island of Byungpoong.
Some could be seen sliding down the steeply inclined side of the ferry and into the water, as rescuers, including the crew of what appeared to be a small fishing boat, pulled them to safety.
As night fell, the South Korean Coast Guard said the rescue operation was continuing using floodlights and underwater flares.
Of the 429 passengers on board the ferry bound for the popular southern resort island of Jeju, more than 300 were students traveling with 14 teachers from a high school in Ansan, south of Seoul.
Among those confirmed as rescued, 78 were students.
“I feel so pained to see students on a school trip ... face such a tragic accident. I want you to pour all your energy into this mission,” South Korean President Park Geun-hye said on a visit to the main disaster agency situation room in Seoul.
The cause of the accident was not immediately clear, although rescued passengers reported the ferry coming to a sudden, shuddering halt — indicating that it might have run aground.
The weather was described as fine, with moderate winds and sea swell.
One local official, who took a boat to the site and arrived an hour after the distress signal was sent, said he was “very concerned” about those still missing.
“The ship was already almost totally submerged when I got there. A lot of people must have been trapped,” the official, who declined to be identified, said by telephone.
FORCED LABOR: Customs officials have seized a 11.8 tonne shipment of products made from human hair on suspicion they were produced by people facing human rights abuses Federal authorities in New York City on Wednesday seized a shipment of weaves and other beauty accessories suspected to be made out of human hair taken from people locked inside a Chinese internment camp. US Customs and Border Protection (CPB) officials said that 11.8 tonnes of hair products worth an estimated US$800,000 were in the shipment. “The production of these goods constitutes a very serious human rights violation, and the detention order is intended to send a clear and direct message to all entities seeking to do business with the United States that illicit and inhumane practices will not be tolerated in
HONG KONG SECURITY: The president blasted regulations requiring Taiwanese agents or political organizations to provide information on their Hong Kong-related activities President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) yesterday warned of countermeasures should controversial Chinese national security legislation imposed on Hong Kong undermine or harm Taiwanese interests. Article 43 of the legislation empowers the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region to serve written notices to Taiwanese political organizations or individual agents to furnish information on their Hong Kong-related activities, including their personal particulars, finances, assets, expenditure and capital in the territory. Failure to comply or providing false or incomplete information can result in a fine of HK$100,000 (US$12,903) or imprisonment of six months or two years respectively. Tsai said that Taiwan would keep a close watch on how
JUST QUESTIONS: Expelled reporter Ai Kezhu said that every member of Southeast Television had complied with the law and had not appeared on any talk shows Two Chinese reporters yesterday left Taiwan after the government revoked their accreditation and ordered them to leave amid a probe into allegations that several Chinese media outlets have set up studios and produced political talk shows in Taiwan. The two reporters — Ai Kezhu (艾珂竹) and Lu Qiang (盧薔) — worked for Fujian Province-based Southeast Television and arrived in Taiwan in December last year. The Mainland Affairs Council has launched an investigation after local media reported that Chinese broadcasters — including China Central Television, Southeast Television and FJTV — had set up studios in Taipei and produced political talk shows. Council Deputy Minister
PROBE LAUNCHED: An officer who served as a supervisor in the drill died in an apparent suicide after the accident, which was caused by unexpected waves Two marines who were on Friday injured in a military exercise in the waters off Kaohsiung passed away yesterday, Navy Command said. The marines — surnamed Tsai (蔡), 26, and a sergeant surnamed Chen (陳), 36 — were in a seven-member Marine Corps team that encountered rough seas during a simulated response to enemy forces landing on Taiwan. Their rubber craft overturned in waters off Taoziyuan (桃子園) beach in Zuoying District (左營), injuring four of the marines. They were rushed to hospital, where three of them — Tsai, Chen and a 34-year-old sergeant — were taken to an intensive care unit