Thu, Feb 13, 2014 - Page 1 News List

North and South Korea hold rare high-level talks

AFP, SEOUL

Head of the North Korean delegation, Won Tong-yon, left, shakes hands with his South Korean counterpart Kim You-hun upon his arrival at the Peace House in the village of Panmunjom in the demilitarised zone of Korea yesterday.

Photo: Reuters

North and South Korean officials held their highest level talks for years yesterday, seeking to thrash out common ground for improving ties despite a row over looming South Korea-US military drills.

The discussions in the border truce village of Panmunjom had no fixed agenda, but aimed to cover a range of “major” issues, including a planned reunion for family members divided by the Korean War, which is due to start on Thursday next week.

A short dialogue in the morning was followed by three hours of discussions in the afternoon, after which the two chief delegates began a one-on-one session at 7:15pm.

The South’s delegation was led by National Security Council official Kim You-hun, who said Seoul’s focus was on ensuring that the reunion went ahead as scheduled.

The North’s delegation, led by Won Tong-yon — deputy head of a ruling party organization that handles inter-Korean ties — was expected to make another push for South Korea to cancel its annual military drills with the US, which are scheduled to begin on Feb. 24.

Before the talks began, Kim promised to keep “an open attitude to explore the chance of opening a new chapter on the Korean Peninsula.”

He did not mention whether North Korea’s nuclear program would be discussed.

It was the first such high-level meeting between the two sides since 2007 and it came a day before US Secretary of State John Kerry’s arrival in Seoul for a brief visit focused on North Korea.

The North wants to resume talks with Seoul and Washington on nuclear matters, but both have insisted that Pyongyang must first make a tangible commitment to abandoning nuclear weapons.

The Panmunjom meet was requested by Pyongyang and made front-page headlines in the South, but it barely merited a mention in the North’s state media, with KINA news agency putting out a one-line dispatch yesterday.

Kim Yong-hun, a North Korean expert at Donging University in Seoul, said Pyongyang was keen to make a public display of its diplomatic credentials.

“It wants to demonstrate a willingness to improve ties with the South in order to obtain concessions from Seoul and others,” said Kim, who warned it was premature to expect any major breakthrough.

The North is also likely to push for a resumption of regular South Korea tours to its Mount Umgang resort.

The South suspended the tours after a tourist was shot and killed by North Korean soldiers in 2008, and Pyongyang is keen to see the return of what was a lucrative source of hard currency.

The success of the upcoming family reunion event wil be key to Seoul considering starting up the tours again.

“If the first step goes well, it can move to the next level, expanding the scope of inter-Korean cooperation at a faster speed,” South Korean Unification Minister Royo Kohl-jae said on Tuesday.

There are fears the North might cancel the reunion event in protest at South Korea and the US pushing ahead with their joint military exercises.

Pyongyang views the drills as rehearsals for invasion and has repeatedly demanded Seoul call them off, at one point warning of an “unimaginable holocaust” if they went ahead.

Last year’s exercises fueled an unusually sharp and protracted surge in tensions, with Pyongyang threatening a pre-emptive nuclear strike and nuclear-capable US stealth bombers making dummy runs over the Korean Peninsula.

This story has been viewed 9416 times.
TOP top