Thousands of Egyptian Islamists protested across the country yesterday, sparking clashes that killed at least six people after police were authorized to use live fire.
Gunfire was heard at the sites of at least two demonstrations in the capital, witnesses said.
Security sources said five protesters loyal to ousted Egyptian president Mohamed Morsi were shot dead in clashes with security forces in the Suez Canal city of Ismailia.
Violence was also reported elsewhere, with state media saying a policeman was killed in an armed attack on a Cairo checkpoint.
Security sources said clashes had broken out between Morsi loyalists and security forces in Tanta, north of the capital.
Marches were also reported in the Mediterranean city of Alexandria, in Beni Sueif and Fayoum, south of Cairo and in the Red Sea resort town of Hurghada.
“Down with military rule,” demonstrators chanted as they waved photos of Morsi and Egyptian flags.
Earlier, the army had deployed around Cairo, where streets were deserted ahead of what Morsi supporters dubbed a “Friday of anger.”
Soldiers manned roadblocks on major thoroughfares, closing off some of them with armored personnel carriers.
The demonstrations come after 578 people were killed on Wednesday in clashes in Cairo as police cleared two Morsi protest camps and elsewhere in the country, in Egypt’s bloodiest day in decades.
The Egyptian Ministry of the Interior gave orders on Thursday for police to use live fire if government buildings come under attack.
Residents of some areas formed their own roadblocks, checking identity papers and searching cars.
The international community expressed grave concern, with the president of the UN Security Council pleading for “maximum restraint” after an emergency meeting on Wednesday’s violence.
The EU said yesterday that top officials would hold an emergency meeting on the situation in Egypt, where the army-installed government has imposed a state of emergency and nighttime curfews.
Sporadic violence continued throughout the country in the form of attacks on security personnel, with 13 killed in the Sinai Peninsula in 24 hours.
Gehad al-Haddad, a Muslim Brotherhood spokesman, announced yesterday’s marches on his Twitter account.
“Anti-coup rallies ... will depart from all mosques of Cairo and head towards Ramsis Square after [noon] prayer in ‘Friday of Anger,’” he wrote.
On Thursday, Tamarod, the protest group that organized opposition to Morsi’s rule, also urged Egyptians to take to the streets.
It said they should rally “to reject domestic terrorism and foreign interference.”
The international community expressed concern, with the EU announcing top representatives from all 28 member states would meet on Monday.
On Thursday, the UN Security Council held an emergency meeting on Egypt, calling for an end to the violence and “national reconciliation.”
US President Barack Obama said Washington was canceling a joint US-Egyptian military exercise.
However, despite scrapping the Bright Star exercise, which has been scheduled every two years since 1981, he stopped short of suspending Washington’s annual US$1.3 billion in aid.
Passengers on domestic flights would not be allowed to board if their temperature is more than 37.5°C or if they refuse to have their temperatures taken, Uni Air (立榮航空) and Mandarin Airlines (華信航空) said yesterday. The two airlines made the announcement after their parent companies — EVA Airways (長榮航空) and China Airlines (CAL, 中華航空) respectively — announced similar pre-boarding requirements on Saturday, along with a requirement that passengers wear masks during their flights, except when they have meals or drinks. Uni Air and Mandarin Airlines said domestic passengers would be required to wear masks from the time they start using self-help
CASE COUNT RISES: One of the new domestic cases is a nurse at a long-term care center, but so far tests on all the residents and other staff have been negative Flight transits through all Taiwanese airports would be banned for two weeks, starting tomorrow, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday as it announced 16 new confirmed cases of COVID-19, bringing the nation’s total to 169. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), head of the center, said all flight transits would be banned through April 7. In light of the rapidly increasing number of imported COVID-19 cases, there was a need to further reduce cross-border travel and the risk of disease transmission, the center said. The Civil Aeronautics Administration has informed airlines about the new measures, and anyone who has
A public health expert yesterday warned that too many people are meeting in small groups in coffee shops and restaurants without keeping a proper distance from one another, as he urged the government to loosen the criteria for testing young Taiwanese returning from abroad for COVID-19. People need to keep a social distance of at least 2m, National Taiwan University (NTU) College of Public Health dean Chan Chang-chuan (詹長權) said as the college presented its seventh weekly report on COVID-19 at a morning news conference. More than 300,000 confirmed cases of the virus have been reported in more than three-quarters of all
TWEET CONFIRMED: The US’ Morgan Ortagus backed up Taiwan, saying China only admitted that human-to-human transmission was possible as late as Jan. 20 Taiwan warned the WHO and China about possible human-to-human transmission of the new coronavirus at the end of last year, but the global health body did not make it public, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said yesterday. Department of International Organizations Director-General Bob Chen (陳龍錦) made the remark at a news briefing in Taipei, when asked about statements made by US Department of State spokeswoman Morgan Ortagus. “Dec. 31— that’s the same day Taiwan first tried to warn WHO of human-human transmission. Chinese authorities meanwhile silenced doctors and refused to admit human-human transmission until Jan. 20, with catastrophic consequences,” Ortagus wrote on