The government is keeping track of possible entry into the country by individuals suspected of involvement in international terrorism and is planning to set up biometric identification systems to strengthen security at its borders, National Immigration Agency Director-General Hsieh Li-kung (謝立功) said yesterday.
Hsieh made the remarks while fielding questions from Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Chen Ou-po (陳歐珀) at a meeting of the Foreign Affairs and National Defense Committee at the legislature in Taipei.
The agency has access to a list of suspected terrorists and maintains regular contacts with its counterparts in other countries, Hsieh said.
Hsieh said that a biometric identification system for foreigners would be installed at Kaohsiung International Airport in December in a pilot project for a plan to have the facility set up in all airports in the country. The agency has asked for NT$180 million (US$6 million) for the project, he said.
Since March 2011, the e-Gate system, which utilizes biometric identification technology to identify people through fingerprints and facial features, has been operating in several major airports. The system applies only to Republic of China passports holders and those holding permanent residence permits.
Separately, National Security Bureau Deputy Director-General Wang Teh-lin (王德麟) said the Presidential Office is capable of intercepting any letter containing toxic substances that is addressed to President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九).
Wang made the remarks following reports that letters addressed to US President Barack Obama and other US officials have recently tested positive for the poison ricin.
Wang said the Presidential Office has a unit charged with handling such matters.
“All correspondence to the Presidential Office has to pass security tests in accordance with the regulations,” Wang said in response to media queries before attending a meeting of the Judiciary and Organic Laws and Statutes Committee meeting at the legislature discussing strengthening anti-terrorism measures.
The bureau added that the government, in the wake of the Boston Marathon bombing on Monday, would step up its counterterrorism measures for the 2017 Universiade in Taipei.
Saying that international sports events and activities are easy targets for terrorists, Wang added the bureau would work closely with the Cabinet and the Taipei City Government to tighten security for the Universiade and ensure that the event proceeds safely and peacefully.
So far, the bureau has not detected any recruitment activities in Taiwan involving foreign extremist organizations, nor are there cases in which Taiwanese have received terrorist training.
However, there have been several terror hoaxes, including a 2011 e-mail threat, claiming to be from the US white supremacist group Aryan Nations, to carry out a chemical attack on Taipei 101, Wang said.
The failed explosive devices placed on a high-speed train and outside a legislator’s office on Friday last week are not considered attempts at terrorism, given that the suspects did not have any contact with or received training from any extremist organization, he said.
Deputy Minister of Transportation and Communications Chen Chwen-jinq (陳純敬), in response to criticism that the evacuation of the train on Friday was too slow, said the ministry would review evacuation measures for the nation’s railway systems and submit a report on the matter within a month.
Minister of Justice Tseng Yung-fu (曾勇夫) added that his ministry would draft a counterterrorism law within three months.
HONG KONG SECURITY: The president blasted regulations requiring Taiwanese agents or political organizations to provide information on their Hong Kong-related activities President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) yesterday warned of countermeasures should controversial Chinese national security legislation imposed on Hong Kong undermine or harm Taiwanese interests. Article 43 of the legislation empowers the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region to serve written notices to Taiwanese political organizations or individual agents to furnish information on their Hong Kong-related activities, including their personal particulars, finances, assets, expenditure and capital in the territory. Failure to comply or providing false or incomplete information can result in a fine of HK$100,000 (US$12,903) or imprisonment of six months or two years respectively. Tsai said that Taiwan would keep a close watch on how
PROBE LAUNCHED: An officer who served as a supervisor in the drill died in an apparent suicide after the accident, which was caused by unexpected waves Two marines who were on Friday injured in a military exercise in the waters off Kaohsiung passed away yesterday, Navy Command said. The marines — surnamed Tsai (蔡), 26, and a sergeant surnamed Chen (陳), 36 — were in a seven-member Marine Corps team that encountered rough seas during a simulated response to enemy forces landing on Taiwan. Their rubber craft overturned in waters off Taoziyuan (桃子園) beach in Zuoying District (左營), injuring four of the marines. They were rushed to hospital, where three of them — Tsai, Chen and a 34-year-old sergeant — were taken to an intensive care unit
MORAL COURAGE: The Ministry of Foreign Affairs urged the global community to face China’s intention to subdue Taiwan and reject such irrational requests The Ministry of Foreign Affairs yesterday strongly condemned the Chinese government for meddling with US officials’ interactions with Taiwan after FBI Director Christopher Wray revealed China’s efforts to discourage US officials from visiting Taiwan. The greatest long-term threat to the US’ information security and intellectual property, as well as its economic vitality, is China’s counterintelligence and economic espionage operations, Wray told a video event at the Hudson Institute in Washington. Beijing is engaged in a highly sophisticated and maligning foreign influence campaign, with methods that include bribery, blackmail and covert deals, he said. Giving an example, Wray said that when a US official
CAUTION: Taiwan had zero cases of death from food poisoning for six years until last year, when two people died after eating wildlife, an FDA official said The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) yesterday urged the public not to eat wildlife or unidentified wild plants, as they could be fatal, with nearly 7,000 people affected by food poisoning last year, including two deaths due to wildlife consumption. The number of food poisoning incidents increased by nearly 50 percent last year, from 398 cases involving 4,616 people in the previous year to 503 cases involving 6,944 people, FDA data showed. That figure was the second-highest in history, the FDA said, adding that the highest number was recorded in 1997, with 7,235 people. Among the 503 cases, 87 were food poisoning clusters