Sun, Apr 07, 2013 - Page 1 News List

Pope urges action in dealing with child abuse cases

POPE’S PLEA:With the Vatican receiving about 600 claims against abusive priests every year, the pope has called for ‘stepped-up measures to protect minors’

AFP, VATICAN CITY

Pope Francis, left, shakes hands with Monsignor Gerhard Ludwig Mueller prior to a private audience at the Vatican on Friday.

Pope Francis on Friday gave his first pronouncement on the Catholic Church’s pervasive pedophile priest scandal, urging Vatican disciplinarians to act “with determination” against the scourge.

Meeting with Monsignor Gerhard Ludwig Mueller, the head of the Vatican department that disciplines predator priests, the pope asked him to “act with determination in cases of sexual abuse,” the Vatican said in a statement.

It was the first official word on the issue from the pope, who was elected on March 13 to succeed former pope Benedict XVI, whose papacy was marred by relentless pedophilia scandals, with tens of thousands of victims over several decades.

The statement said the policy followed “the line established” by Benedict XVI, who was the first pope to apologize to victims and called for zero tolerance against sexual abuse by priests.

The Argentine pope asked for “stepped-up measures to protect minors and help those who were subjected to such violence in the past.”

Also in line with his predecessor, Francis reminded the heads of national Catholic churches around the world that they had committed to formulating and implementing directives for addressing the problem — including turning abusers over to local law enforcement.

Mueller’s Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith published in May 2011 a document ordering bishops to turn in members of the clergy suspected of pedophilia and to prevent them from working in settings involving minors.

It gave the bishops’ conferences (national churches) one year to come up with guidelines on combating the crimes and cooperating with police.

As of September last year, three-quarters of the national churches had complied, according to Monsignor Charles Scicluna, the Vatican “prosecutor” in sex abuse cases.

The scourge of abusive priests burst into the spotlight more than a decade ago with a cascade of scandals rocking the church worldwide, from Ireland to the US, from Australia to Benedict’s native Germany.

The Vatican says it continues to receive about 600 claims against abusive priests every year, many of them dating back to the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s.

Sexual abuse by priests has often been coupled with cover-ups by their superiors, typically by transferring them to other parishes.

In Latin America, Francis’ home region, the most notorious scandal concerned the Mexican founder of the conservative Legionnaires of Christ congregation, Marcial Maciel, who was accused of sexually abusing children before he died in 2008.

The Survivors’ Network for those Abused by Priests (SNAP), a vocal support group for victims, reacted immediately to Friday’s statement, demanding that the pope match words with actions.

“We can’t confuse words with actions,” SNAP said.

“Kids won’t be helped by a ‘continuation’ of the tiny symbolic gestures taken by Pope Benedict,” it said. “Kids will be helped by decisive changes. Thus far, Pope Francis hasn’t even discussed, much less adopted, even a single reform.”

This story has been viewed 1367 times.
TOP top