Baker Wu Pao-chun (吳寶春) yesterday dismissed President Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) instruction that the Ministry of Education relax regulations and make it possible for him to apply for executive master of business administration (EMBA) programs, urging the government not to make an exception just for him.
Wu, 42, won the title of Bakery Master in the bread category at the Bakery World Cup in Paris in 2010. Even though he is a successful bakery owner, he has been unable to enroll in EMBA programs at a university in Taiwan because he did not have a college degree or obtained a “class A technician” certificate, as required by regulations.
Regulations stipulate that applicants for masters programs have to hold a diploma from a college or vocational school, or should have “class A technician” certificates. Wu only has a junior-high school diploma and a “class B technician” certificate, because there is no “class A technician” certificate for bakers or pastry chefs.
Wu has therefore been preparing to apply for an EMBA program at the National University of Singapore, which recently held an interview with him in Taiwan.
National Chengchi University’s EMBA executive head Chi Yen-ping (季延平) has said that were it not for the regulations, the university would be glad to welcome Wu to its EMBA course, adding that Wu was definitely qualified to enroll.
Ma on Thursday said the nation should not allow the outflow of local talent, like Wu, and instructed the ministry to relax the regulations to allow Wu to be enrolled in a masters degree program at a local university.
After a meeting on Thursday evening, the ministry announced it would amend the Standards for Recognition of Equivalent Educational Level As Qualified for Entering University as soon as possible, adding that there were two particular areas the amendment would address.
The amendment will seek to relax restrictions for subjects that do not offer “class A technician” certificates, to allow applications from applicants who possess “class B technician” certificates and have five years working experience, and to regard individuals with outstanding performances in international competitions, or who had been contracted by universities as professional skills instructors, as having a suitable educational background to apply for masters studies.
Wu yesterday expressed his appreciation of Ma and the public’s concern about his situation.
“I hope the ministry is not making an exception to the rules just for me. If the new regulations apply to the general public and more people can have the opportunity to study, then I’d love to see such developments,” he said.
Minister of Education Chiang Wei-ling (蔣偉寧) said the problem Wu faces highlighted some issues in the nation’s higher education system, adding that the ministry would be looking into them and resolving them as soon as possible.
Premier Jiang Yi-huah (江宜樺) yesterday said the revisions were not tailor-made for any specific individual, but were aiming at making the education system more flexible to keep local talents in the country.
Additional reporting by Shi Hsiu-chuan and Chiu Shao-wen
HONG KONG SECURITY: The president blasted regulations requiring Taiwanese agents or political organizations to provide information on their Hong Kong-related activities President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) yesterday warned of countermeasures should controversial Chinese national security legislation imposed on Hong Kong undermine or harm Taiwanese interests. Article 43 of the legislation empowers the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region to serve written notices to Taiwanese political organizations or individual agents to furnish information on their Hong Kong-related activities, including their personal particulars, finances, assets, expenditure and capital in the territory. Failure to comply or providing false or incomplete information can result in a fine of HK$100,000 (US$12,903) or imprisonment of six months or two years respectively. Tsai said that Taiwan would keep a close watch on how
JUST QUESTIONS: Expelled reporter Ai Kezhu said that every member of Southeast Television had complied with the law and had not appeared on any talk shows Two Chinese reporters yesterday left Taiwan after the government revoked their accreditation and ordered them to leave amid a probe into allegations that several Chinese media outlets have set up studios and produced political talk shows in Taiwan. The two reporters — Ai Kezhu (艾珂竹) and Lu Qiang (盧薔) — worked for Fujian Province-based Southeast Television and arrived in Taiwan in December last year. The Mainland Affairs Council has launched an investigation after local media reported that Chinese broadcasters — including China Central Television, Southeast Television and FJTV — had set up studios in Taipei and produced political talk shows. Council Deputy Minister
PROBE LAUNCHED: An officer who served as a supervisor in the drill died in an apparent suicide after the accident, which was caused by unexpected waves Two marines who were on Friday injured in a military exercise in the waters off Kaohsiung passed away yesterday, Navy Command said. The marines — surnamed Tsai (蔡), 26, and a sergeant surnamed Chen (陳), 36 — were in a seven-member Marine Corps team that encountered rough seas during a simulated response to enemy forces landing on Taiwan. Their rubber craft overturned in waters off Taoziyuan (桃子園) beach in Zuoying District (左營), injuring four of the marines. They were rushed to hospital, where three of them — Tsai, Chen and a 34-year-old sergeant — were taken to an intensive care unit
‘SIGNAL TO ALLIES’: The US Navy’s exercises are not in response to those carried out by China, the commander of the strike group led by the USS ‘Ronald Reagan’ said Two US aircraft carriers were yesterday conducting exercises in the disputed South China Sea, the US Navy said as China also carried out military drills that have been criticized by the US Department of Defense and neighboring states. China and the US have accused each other of stoking tension in the waterway at a time of strained relations over everything from COVID-19 to trade to Hong Kong. The USS Nimitz and USS Ronald Reagan were carrying out operations and exercises in the South China Sea “to support a free and open Indo-Pacific,” the navy said in a statement. It did not say exactly