Mon, Dec 31, 2012 - Page 1 News List

Rape victim cremated, was to marry

WORDS OF SYMPATHY:UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon sent his condolences to the parents and family of an Indian woman who died following a gang rape


Police detain a demonstrator in New Delhi yesterday during a protest following the death of a gang-rape victim.

Photo: Reuters

The victim of a gang-rape and murder that triggered an outpouring of grief and revulsion across India was cremated at a private ceremony yesterday as it emerged she was planning to marry in February.

The unidentified 23-year-old, the focus of nationwide protests since she was attacked on a bus in New Delhi two weeks ago, was cremated at a ceremony kept secret by authorities only hours after her body was repatriated from Singapore.

The funeral pyre was lit after traumatized relatives and friends said their final prayers at a ceremony in southwestern Delhi, according to mourners who revealed she had been due to wed her boyfriend who was injured in the same attack.

“They had made all the wedding preparations and had planned a wedding party in Delhi” for February, said Meena Rai, who was a close friend and neighbor. “I really loved this girl. She was the brightest of all.”

Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Sonia Gandhi, the leader of the main ruling Congress party, were at Delhi airport to console her parents as they arrived home on a chartered plane with their daughter’s body at about 4am.

After initial treatment in a Delhi hospital following the attack, she was flown to Singapore on Wednesday night, where doctors were unable to prevent a multiple organ failure. She was pronounced dead in the early hours of Saturday.

Her killing has prompted government promises of better protection for women, and deep soul-searching in a nation where horrifying gang-rapes are commonplace and sexual harassment is routinely dismissed as “Eve-teasing.”

Several thousand people massed again yesterday in the center of the Indian capital — some to express sympathy for the victim who had been out to watch a film with her boyfriend, others to voice anger at the government.

Stringent security measures that have seen government offices and other public areas sealed off in New Delhi to prevent protests have been seized on by critics as further evidence of an out-of-touch government bungling its response.

“We cannot understand the high-handedness of the police. This is our city, we should be free to move around and protest peacefully,” 21-year-old protester Mahima Anand said.

“She was not just one woman, she epitomizes every Indian woman who has been wronged in some way or the other,” she added from the Jantar Mantar area of Delhi, where protesters have been allowed to gather.

About a dozen protesters tried to break the barricades that riot police erected around the area, while a handful also threw stones and were immediately detained.

Waves of protests erupted across India after the attack on Dec. 16, when the woman was repeatedly raped and sexually assaulted with an iron bar, leaving her with terrible intestinal injuries.

Thousands took part in late-night candlelit vigils on Saturday after 80-year-old Singh, criticized for reacting slowly to the crime, led appeals for calm to prevent a repeat of the sometimes violent protests.

UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon also sent his condolences to the victim’s parents and family yesterday.

“Violence against women must never be accepted, never excused, never tolerated,” Ban’s spokesperson said.

As police said the six accused of murdering the unnamed woman could face the death penalty, there was widespread determination that the killing should serve as a tipping point for how the nation deals with violence against women.

This story has been viewed 12888 times.

Comments will be moderated. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned.

TOP top