China said yesterday it would seek more clarity before investing in an EU bailout fund, as the head of the scheme held talks in Beijing to try to win the help of the world’s second-largest economy.
Expectations for a strong commitment from Beijing over Europe’s debt crisis had been high ahead of European Financial Stability Facility (EFSF) chief executive Klaus Regling’s visit, with the Financial Times quoting a source saying China could inject more than US$100 billion, but publicly Beijing has been noncommittal and Chinese state media said Europe must take responsibility for the crisis and not rely on “good Samaritans” to save the continent from its fiscal woes.
Regling said Europe was trying to come up with new mechanisms for investment in the EFSF in a bid to restore market confidence in the debt-laden region, but Chinese Vice Finance Minister Zhu Guangyao (朱光耀) said his country would wait for more details before committing to invest in the fund.
“We need to wait for the technicalities to be clear and also to carry out serious studies before we can decide on investment,” Zhu told reporters.
There have been calls from Europe for China and other developing economies to invest in the bailout fund, with intense speculation that Beijing would agree to deploy some of its huge foreign-exchange reserves. However, bailing out European countries would be a hard sell for the leaders of a country where soaring property prices and food costs are hurting millions of poor households, and many exporters are struggling.
Hours after Thursday’s deal was struck, French President Nicolas Sarkozy telephoned Chinese President Hu Jintao (胡錦濤), later giving a TV interview in which he defended the idea of asking China to bail out Europe.
“If the Chinese, who have 60 percent of global reserves, decide to invest in the euro instead of the [US] dollar, why refuse?” the French president said.
Regling, in China a day after Europe reached a last-ditch agreement to tackle the region’s worst crisis in decades, said there was no prospect of reaching a deal during his talks with the central bank and finance ministry, but he said the EFSF was looking at new ways to secure additional investment, after EU leaders announced measures that included quadrupling the firepower of the fund to 1 trillion euros (US$1.4 trillion) from 440 billion euros.
Regling said he would discuss with China and other investors how to structure an investment vehicle and explore the possibility of linking it to the IMF.
China, which has US$3.2 trillion in foreign-exchange reserves, was “interested in finding attractive, solid, safe investment opportunities,” he told a media briefing, but some analysts played down the prospect of China making a substantial investment.
“China’s economy is slowing and they may well want a war chest to support their own economy,” said Julian Jessop, chief global economist at London research house Capital Economics.
The EFSF was set up in May last year and it was designed to provide financial assistance to European economies at risk of default, such as Greece, Ireland and Portugal.
Regling will next travel to Japan, which yesterday offered vague promises that it would help Europe, but left itself a week to decide what it might do to expand its already hefty contribution.
‘WEAK POSITIVE’: The man arrived in Taiwan in May and was quarantined for two weeks, Chen Shih-chung said, adding that he might be infected a long time ago The government is considering tightening mask-wearing rules again in light of a potential domestic COVID-19 infection, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) said yesterday. The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) confirmed seven new COVID-19 cases, six of which are imported. The other case involves a Belgian engineer who entered Taiwan on May 3 and remained in quarantine until May 17, said Chen, who heads the CECC. Although the source of infection has yet to be identified, the case could end the nation’s record of not having any domestic cases in the previous 110 days. The Belgian, in his 20s, is a technician
BRIBERY CASE: President Tsai Ing-wen accepted Su Jia-chyuan’s resignation as he said that he deeply regretted causing trouble for the president due to the investigation Presidential Office Secretary-General Su Jia-chyuan (蘇嘉全) yesterday resigned after his nephew, Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator Su Chen-ching (蘇震清), was implicated in a bribery case related to a dispute over the ownership of Pacific Sogo Department Store (太平洋崇光百貨). “I resigned from the post so that President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) would not be bothered by it anymore, and the prosecutors can investigate the case in a fair and just manner. I thank President Tsai once again for supporting me. May the country continue to prosper under her leadership,” Su Jia-chyuan said in a statement. The Presidential Office said that Tsai has accepted
‘INCREASINGLY FAVORED’: Taiwan’s ‘transparent laws and efficient courts’ as well as its financial institutions give it a major advantage to become a financial hub, Tsai said Taiwan would liberalize banking and investment rules to establish itself as a regional financial hub, President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) told the Taiwan Capital Market Forum in Taipei yesterday. Recent world events could be an opening for Taiwan to become an international center for business investments and financial management, Tsai said at the forum, which was organized by the Chinese-language Liberty Times (the sister publication of the Taipei Times). “We’re facing unknowns in the world right now, including the continuing impact of US-China trade tensions and the reorganization of the global supply chain after COVID-19,” Tsai said. “These bring new challenges and opportunities.” Tsai
ALEX AZAR: The first visit by a head of the Department of Health and Human Services would strictly observe the CECC’s special regulations, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said US Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) Alex Azar is to lead a delegation to Taiwan — the highest-level visit by a US Cabinet official since the two sides cut formal relations in 1979. The plan was announced yesterday morning by the US Department of Health and Human Services and confirmed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA). Beijing has expressed its concerns to Washington, Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Wang Wenbin (汪文斌) said later yesterday. Taiwan and the US only issued statements saying that the visit would happen “in the coming days.” MOFA said that due to security concerns, it would