Coalition jets patrolled the no-fly zone over Libya yesterday, but launched no new strikes after scattering and isolating Libyan strongman Muammar Qaddafi’s forces with a weekend of punishing air attacks, Pentagon officials said.
US military authorities were moving to hand control of the operation to its allies in the coalition, though no precise timetable for such a handoff had been specified.
A cruise missile attack blasted Qaddafi’s residential compound late on Sunday, hitting a military command and control center, two US officials said. It was the final strike launched over a weekend of ferocious air missions to destroy Libyan air defense and set up the no-fly zone approved by the UN to protect civilians, they said on condition of anonymity because they were not yet authorized to speak on the record about the latest developments.
A mix of coalition aircraft was enforcing the new zone and officials said they saw no indications that Qaddafi had tried to fly any of his planes. They were unaware of whether there had been strikes on any Qaddafi ground forces yesterday.
Qaddafi is not a target of the campaign, a senior military official said on Sunday, but he could not guarantee the Libyan leader’s safety.
Congressional Republicans, meanwhile, said they wanted the administration of US President Barack Obama to answer questions about what the US mission is in Libya, how it will be accomplished and how long the US will be involved.
Navy Vice Admiral William Gortney, staff director for the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said at a Pentagon news conference there was no evidence civilians in Libya have been harmed in the air assault, codenamed Odyssey Dawn. Gortney also said no allied planes had been lost and all pilots had returned safely from missions that used stealth B-2 bombers, jet fighters, more than 120 Tomahawk cruise missiles and other high-tech weapons.
“We judge these strikes to have been very effective in significantly degrading the regime’s air defense capability,” Gortney said. “We believe his forces are under significant stress and suffering from both -isolation and a good deal of confusion.”
Gortney did not rule out the possibility of further attacks aimed at preventing Qaddafi from attacking civilians in Libya and enforcing the no-fly zone.
US Secretary of Defense Robert Gates said the US expected to turn control of the mission over to a coalition — probably headed either by the French and British or by NATO — “in a matter of days.”
Late on Sunday, however, NATO’s top decision-making body failed to agree on a plan to enforce the no-fly zone over Libya, although it did approve a military plan to implement a UN arms embargo.
On Saturday night, three Air Force B-2s, launched from Whiteman Air Force Base in Missouri, dropped precision munitions on an airfield near the city of Misurata, destroying hardened military aircraft shelters, while avoiding commercial structures nearby. A military official said the B-2s flew 25 hours in a round-trip from Whiteman and dropped 45 bombs.
A total of 15 Air Force and Marine Corps aircraft, along with jets from France and Great Britain, hit a heavy infantry unit advancing on Benghazi.
“To protect the Libyan people, we took them under attack,” -Gortney said.
Gortney said the coalition had control of the air space between Benghazi and Tripoli, Libya’s capital.
“The no-fly zone is effectively in place,” he said. “Anything that does fly that we detect, we will engage.”
Inside Qaddafi’s huge Tripoli compound, an administration building was hit and badly damaged late on Sunday. A photographer at the scene said half of the round, three-story building was knocked down, smoke was rising from it and pieces of a cruise missile were scattered around the scene.
Qaddafi and his residence are not on a list of targets to be hit by coalition aircraft, Gortney said.
However, Qaddafi won’t be safe “if he happens to be at a place, if he is inspecting a surface-to-air missile site and we don’t have any idea that he’s there or not,” Gortney said.
Admiral Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said the goals of the operation were to protect civilians from further violence by pro-Qaddafi forces, while enabling the flow of humanitarian relief supplies. However, it was unclear how long the military effort would continue or on what scale.
SCHEDULE: The delegation is due to meet with President Tsai Ing-wen this morning and witness the signing of an MOU on bilateral health cooperation in the afternoon US Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) Alex Azar yesterday arrived in Taipei aboard a US government plane at the head of a delegation that is the highest-level visit by a US official since Washington switched diplomatic recognition to China in 1979. Azar’s flight landed at Taipei International Airport (Songshan airport) at 4:48pm, nearly one hour earlier than scheduled, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said. The apron where it landed is reserved for military aircraft, the Songshan Air Force Base Command said. The members of Azar’s delegation included HHS Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response Robert Kadlec, HHS Chief of Staff Brian
ALEX AZAR: The first visit by a head of the Department of Health and Human Services would strictly observe the CECC’s special regulations, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said US Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) Alex Azar is to lead a delegation to Taiwan — the highest-level visit by a US Cabinet official since the two sides cut formal relations in 1979. The plan was announced yesterday morning by the US Department of Health and Human Services and confirmed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA). Beijing has expressed its concerns to Washington, Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Wang Wenbin (汪文斌) said later yesterday. Taiwan and the US only issued statements saying that the visit would happen “in the coming days.” MOFA said that due to security concerns, it would
‘CROSS-STRAIT CONSIDERATIONS’: Groups said that the Ministry of Education’s policies excluded Chinese and students should not be blocked over political issues The Taiwan International Student Movement yesterday said it would protest today outside the Ministry of Education in Taipei against a policy that excludes some Chinese students from returning to Taiwan amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Since June 17, the ministry has allowed foreign students from 19 “low risk” and “medium-low risk” countries and regions to enter Taiwan. On July 22, it announced that it was relaxing restrictions to include students from all countries and regions who are graduating this semester and on Wednesday it further expanded entry to students enrolled in degree programs. A letter sent by the ministry on Wednesday to universities did
The military last week sent “no small number” of Marine Corps officers to the Pratas Islands (Dongsha Island, 東沙群島) following reports of a Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) drill targeting the islands scheduled for this month. In an interview with Hong Kong’s Bauhinia Magazine published on Saturday last week, PLA National Defense University professor Li Daguang (李大光) confirmed that the Chinese army was planning to stage a simulated invasion of the Pratas Islands in the South China Sea this month. The islands comprise three atolls, with Pratas Island, at 1.74km2, being the largest. They lie southwest of Taiwan proper in the South