Libyan leader Muammar Qaddafi’s regime has lost vast swathes of the country’s east to an insurrection, it emerged yesterday as pressure mounted on the strongman to step down amid growing evidence of a “bloodbath.”
As condemnation of the crackdown grew and foreigners fled the country, Qaddafi appeared to be increasingly isolated after reports that hundreds of civilians had been killed by his forces.
Opponents of Qaddafi appeared firmly in control of Libya’s coastal east, from the Egyptian border through to the cities of Tobruk and Benghazi, with government soldiers switching sides to join the uprising.
Soldiers in the east were declaring their support for the uprising, residents said, but the regime asserted it was still in control via a text message sent on the national mobile telephone network.
The streets of the capital, Tripoli, were mainly empty, barring a few Qaddafi backers, despite his nationally televised call a day before for a show of popular support.
Only Green Square — a Qaddafi stronghold since the revolt against rule began last Tuesday — pulsed with activity as pro-regime supporters began arriving.
Urging a prompt end to the “horrible bloodbath,” Italian Foreign Minister Franco Frattini said the eastern province of “Cyrenaica is no longer under the control of the Libyan government and there are outbreaks of violence across the country.”
Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi on Tuesday urged Qaddafi to end the suppression by his forces of the uprising.
News of the call came after Qaddafi delivered a rambling speech on television, declaring he would die a martyr in Libya and threatening to purge opponents “house by house” and “inch by inch.”
Proclaiming the support of the people, Qaddafi ordered the army and police to crush the revolt.
“The Libyan people are with me,” he said.
“Capture the rats,” he said of anti-regime demonstrators.
NPP WARNING: The NPP’s chairman said that a security law proposed by Beijing means it has renounced its promise to maintain ‘one country, two systems’ in HK The Taiwan People’s Party (TPP) yesterday proposed changing the law to provide protection for those seeking political asylum. China at the opening of the National People’s Congress in Beijing on Thursday introduced a draft security law for Hong Kong to ban treason, subversion and sedition, with a review expected next week. TPP caucus whip Jang Chyi-lu (張其祿) said that the party is concerned about democracy advocates in Hong Kong and has taken action to support them. The party has proposed an amendment to Article 18 of the Act Governing Relations with Hong Kong and Macau (香港澳門關係條例), which stipulates that the government can offer
The number of people from Hong Kong applying for residency in Taiwan last year rose 41 percent from a year earlier to 5,858, National Immigration Agency statistics showed. The statistics also showed that 600 applications were filed by Hong Kong residents in the first quarter of this year — three times the number filed in the same period last year — with applicants apparently not deterred by the COVID-19 pandemic. Just one day after it was reported that the Chinese government plans to enact new national security laws in Hong Kong, inquiries regarding immigration to Taiwan grew 10-fold, a Hong Kong-based immigration
‘BEGINNING OF THE END’: Democracy advocate Joshua Wong urged Hong Kongers to stand up and fight, and let the Chinese government know that they will not cave Hong Kong protesters yesterday battled with riot police in busy downtown areas, showing their opposition toward China’s dramatic move to crack down on dissent in the biggest demonstration since the coronavirus swept through the territory in January. Police deployed a water cannon and fired tear gas in the Causeway Bay shopping area after hundreds of protesters had gathered to oppose new national security legislation from China. Police warned the crowd they were taking part in an illegal gathering, and later said in a statement that “rioters threw umbrellas, water bottles and other objects at them.” At least 120 people were arrested,
‘TAIWAN IS SAFE’: As there have been no new local cases for 42 days, people should feel free to travel around the nation — as long as they follow disease prevention rules No new cases of COVID-19 were reported yesterday and only 20 of the people hospitalized after testing positive are still being treated in hospitals, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) said yesterday in Pingtung County’s Kenting (墾丁) as he promoted a “new disease prevention lifestyle” for the nation. As yesterday was the 42nd consecutive day with no new domestic cases, and experts consider 28 consecutive days with no domestic case — the span of two incubation periods — a sign that a community is relatively safe, Taiwan is safe, said Chen, who heads the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC),