More than a quarter-million people flooded into the heart of Cairo yesterday, filling the city’s main square in by far the largest demonstration in a week of unceasing demands for Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak to leave after nearly 30 years in power.
Mubarak should step down by Friday, Mohamed ElBaradei, who is emerging as a leader of anti-regime protests, told al-Arabiya satellite channel yesterday.
“What I have heard [from protesters] is that they want this to end, if not today, then by Friday maximum,” ElBaradei said. “I hope President Mubarak goes before this and leaves the country after 30 years of rule ... I don’t think he wants to see more blood.”
Asked about Egyptian Vice President Omar Suleiman’s offer for dialogue with the opposition, ElBaradei said he supports “a national comprehensive dialogue” but not before “the departure of President Mubarak.”
He also called for a safe exit for Mubarak, adding: “We’re going to turn the page, we can pardon the past.”
As he spoke, protesters continued to stream into Tahrir Square (Liberation Square), among them people defying a government transportation shutdown. The peaceful crowd was jammed in shoulder to shoulder — schoolteachers, farmers, unemployed university graduates, women in conservative headscarves and women in high heels, men in suits and working-class men in scuffed shoes.
Hundreds of thousands of protesters also marched in Alexandria, with more protests reported in Suez, the southern province of Assiut, the city of Mansoura north of Cairo, and Luxor.
The military promised on state TV on Monday night that it would not fire on protesters, a sign that army support for Mubarak may be unraveling.
“This is the end for him. It’s time,” said Musab Galal, a 23-year-old unemployed university graduate who came by minibus with his friends from city of Menoufiya.
The protesters were more organized than on previous days. Volunteers wearing tags reading “the People’s Security” circulated through the crowds, saying they were watching for government infiltrators who might try to instigate violence.
Authorities shut down all roads and public transportation to Cairo, security officials said. Train services nationwide were suspended for a second day and all bus services between cities were halted. All roads in and out of the flashpoint cities of Alexandria, Suez, Mansoura and Fayoum were also closed.
The official death toll from days of protest stood at 97, with thousands injured, but in Geneva, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay said up to 300 people may have been killed and she called for calm during yesterday’s protests.
“Casualties have been mounting on a daily basis, with unconfirmed reports suggesting as many as 300 people may have been killed so far, more than 3,000 injured and hundreds arrested,” Pillay said yesterday in a statement.
Her spokesman Rupert Colville said the unconfirmed toll came from NGOs.
Meanwhile, King Abdullah II of Jordan yesterday sacked the government after weeks of protests, but his choice to head the government failed to satisfy the powerful Islamist opposition’s demands for reform.
The king named Maruf Bakhit to replace Prime Minister Samir Rifai, with orders to carry out “true political reforms,” the palace said.
‘HERO OF THE ERA’: President Tsai Ing-wen expressed deep sadness at Lee’s passing, and told the government to assist his family with all their needs Former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) passed away at 7:24pm yesterday at Taipei Veterans General Hospital. He was 97 years old. The hospital stated the cause of death as septic shock and multiple organ failure. Lee had been hospitalized there since February, when he choked on a mouthful of milk at home. He was later diagnosed with pulmonary infiltrates and aspiration pneumonia. The hospital said that Lee had been treated with antibiotics, but that his health had not improved, as his advanced age and diabetes had inhibited his immune system and led to recurring infections. During his hospitalization, Lee underwent daily kidney dialysis, which removed
‘WEAK POSITIVE’: The man arrived in Taiwan in May and was quarantined for two weeks, Chen Shih-chung said, adding that he might be infected a long time ago The government is considering tightening mask-wearing rules again in light of a potential domestic COVID-19 infection, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) said yesterday. The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) confirmed seven new COVID-19 cases, six of which are imported. The other case involves a Belgian engineer who entered Taiwan on May 3 and remained in quarantine until May 17, said Chen, who heads the CECC. Although the source of infection has yet to be identified, the case could end the nation’s record of not having any domestic cases in the previous 110 days. The Belgian, in his 20s, is a technician
RECEIVING TREATMENT: President Tsai Ing-wen, Vice President William Lai and Premier Su Tseng-chang visited former president Lee Teng-hui yesterday morning Taipei Veterans General Hospital yesterday rebutted speculation that former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) had died a day earlier, saying that he was weak, but receiving treatment. The hospital said the 97-year-old Lee was not in good condition and needed ongoing care, adding that if there are any changes in his condition, it would make those public. The comments came after rumors emerged online on Tuesday that Lee had died after being hospitalized since early February. Soon after the unsubstantiated rumors emerged, reporters started flocking to the hospital seeking confirmation. Lee was admitted to Taipei Veterans General Hospital on Feb. 8 after choking while drinking
THAI CASE UPDATE: Twenty-nine close contacts of the worker have been tested with two types of tests, including 18 dorm mates, with 28 negative results so far Five imported cases of COVID-19, four from the Philippines and one from Hong Kong, were reported yesterday, bringing the total confirmed cases in Taiwan to 467, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday. The four returning from the Philippines were on the same flight, and the local health department has identified 15 people who had direct contact with them — including 10 passengers in the two rows in front or behind them, who have been put under 14-day home isolation, and five crew members, who will practice 14-day self-health management, said Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Deputy Director-General Chuang Jen-hsiang