President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) yesterday visited the family of Chiang Kuo-ching (江國慶), who was wrongfully executed by the military 14 years ago for the rape and murder of a five-year-old girl, and promised to clear Chiang’s name in a speedy manner.
Ma apologized to Chiang and his family on Monday through Presidential Office spokesman Lo Chih-chiang (羅智強), as well as a posting on his Facebook page.
After visiting the family, Ma told reporters that Chiang’s mother and uncle said they cared more about clearing his name than receiving compensation.
“I have instructed the Ministry of National Defense and Ministry of Justice to fully assist the family so Chiang can be declared innocent and his family obtain compensation,” Ma said. “Minister of National Defense Kao Hua-chu (高華柱), who is also here today, will also do his best to help the family get its wish.”
Ma said his visit and apology demonstrated his administration’s willingness to help the family see its requests fulfilled.
“The public must realize that my visit today clearly indicates that Chiang is innocent,” Ma said. “This fact has been confirmed by the investigations of the Control Yuan and Taipei District Court.”
The family’s wish that Chiang’s conviction and death penalty be revoked has to proceed in accordance with the law, but he promised the process would not take five or 10 years, Ma said.
“A retrial is probably the least time-consuming, but we will do our best to shorten the process,” he said.
However, he declined to specify how long it would take, saying he would ask the justice ministry to provide an estimate.
He also dismissed speculation that Chiang could not be declared innocent until another suspect, Hsu Jung-chou (許榮洲), has been proven guilty.
Taipei prosecutors arrested Hsu, who has a record of sexual offenses, as a suspect in the case on Friday.
Ma said the new evidence discovered could be used against Hsu at a retrial and clearing Chiang’s name should be dealt with separately from proving Hsu guilty.
Chiang was executed on Aug. 13, 1997, but his family continued to fight to clear his name.
A Control Yuan report on its investigation said that in notes Chiang wrote in prison, he recounted being threatened with an electric baton, exposed to strong light and forced to undergo physical activity all night during his interrogations.
In letters Chiang sent to his family while in prison, he wrote that investigators told him “the chief [then-head of air force command Chen Chao-min (陳肇敏)] is coming to see you. When he arrives, remember to kneel before him and ask for help. The chief will save you.”
About 30 military officials involved in Chiang’s arrest, trial and execution are facing criminal and administrative investigations, including Chen.
While Chen also served as minister of national defense under Ma, the president said he was in no position to say whether Chen or other military personnel involved in Chiang’s case had been guilty of negligence or should be held legally responsible for his wrongful conviction and execution.
Chiang’s case has prompted Ma’s long-time friend C.V. Chen (陳長文), the president of Taiwan’s Red Cross Society, to urge the government to consider abolishing the death penalty.
Ma said his administration was willing to gradually try for abolition because the public remains polarized on the issue.
FORCED LABOR: Customs officials have seized a 11.8 tonne shipment of products made from human hair on suspicion they were produced by people facing human rights abuses Federal authorities in New York City on Wednesday seized a shipment of weaves and other beauty accessories suspected to be made out of human hair taken from people locked inside a Chinese internment camp. US Customs and Border Protection (CPB) officials said that 11.8 tonnes of hair products worth an estimated US$800,000 were in the shipment. “The production of these goods constitutes a very serious human rights violation, and the detention order is intended to send a clear and direct message to all entities seeking to do business with the United States that illicit and inhumane practices will not be tolerated in
JUST QUESTIONS: Expelled reporter Ai Kezhu said that every member of Southeast Television had complied with the law and had not appeared on any talk shows Two Chinese reporters yesterday left Taiwan after the government revoked their accreditation and ordered them to leave amid a probe into allegations that several Chinese media outlets have set up studios and produced political talk shows in Taiwan. The two reporters — Ai Kezhu (艾珂竹) and Lu Qiang (盧薔) — worked for Fujian Province-based Southeast Television and arrived in Taiwan in December last year. The Mainland Affairs Council has launched an investigation after local media reported that Chinese broadcasters — including China Central Television, Southeast Television and FJTV — had set up studios in Taipei and produced political talk shows. Council Deputy Minister
PROBE LAUNCHED: An officer who served as a supervisor in the drill died in an apparent suicide after the accident, which was caused by unexpected waves Two marines who were on Friday injured in a military exercise in the waters off Kaohsiung passed away yesterday, Navy Command said. The marines — surnamed Tsai (蔡), 26, and a sergeant surnamed Chen (陳), 36 — were in a seven-member Marine Corps team that encountered rough seas during a simulated response to enemy forces landing on Taiwan. Their rubber craft overturned in waters off Taoziyuan (桃子園) beach in Zuoying District (左營), injuring four of the marines. They were rushed to hospital, where three of them — Tsai, Chen and a 34-year-old sergeant — were taken to an intensive care unit
‘SIGNAL TO ALLIES’: The US Navy’s exercises are not in response to those carried out by China, the commander of the strike group led by the USS ‘Ronald Reagan’ said Two US aircraft carriers were yesterday conducting exercises in the disputed South China Sea, the US Navy said as China also carried out military drills that have been criticized by the US Department of Defense and neighboring states. China and the US have accused each other of stoking tension in the waterway at a time of strained relations over everything from COVID-19 to trade to Hong Kong. The USS Nimitz and USS Ronald Reagan were carrying out operations and exercises in the South China Sea “to support a free and open Indo-Pacific,” the navy said in a statement. It did not say exactly