Taiwanese will be able to visit the Schengen area of Europe visa-free from the middle of next month after the EU formally signed a bill to that effect.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement late on Wednesday that European Parliament Speaker Jerzy Buzek and Belgian Secretary of State for EU Affairs Oliver Chastel signed the bill on Taiwan’s inclusion in the visa-waiver program in Strasbourg, France, earlier in the day.
The signing in the European Parliament was a formality that marked another step toward Taiwan’s goal of acquiring wider visa exemption privileges for its passport holders, the ministry said.
The bill must now be translated into 23 official EU languages for publication in the EU Official Journal and will formally take effect 20 days after its publication, the ministry said.
The waiver means that Republic of China passport holders will be able to enter 35 European countries visa-free and stay for up to 90 days within a six-month period.
The exemption will apply to 25 Schengen Area countries: 22 EU members and three non-EU states — Norway, Iceland and Switzerland — and three non-Schengen EU states — Romania, Bulgaria and Cyprus. It also includes the Vatican, Monaco, Andorra, Liechtenstein, San Marino, Greenland and the Faroe Islands.
EXACT DATE UNCLEAR
The exact date the visa-waiver bill takes effect will depend on when it is published in the Journal, the ministry said. Once it does, Taiwan will become the sixth Asian country to acquire EU visa-waiver privilege, it said.
The visa exemption drive took off in July when the European Commission submitted a bill to include Taiwan in the visa-waiver program.
The proposal then went through a 15-step process and cleared its last hurdle on Nov. 25 when the Council of the EU passed it unanimously without debate.
The EU move brings the number of countries and territories offering Taiwanese visa exemptions to 96, with 75 granting visa-waiver privileges and 21 others allowing travelers to obtain visas at their ports of entry.
At the start of their first-ever virtual World Health Assembly (WHA), WHO member states agreed to delay a controversial discussion on granting Taiwan observer status until later in the year. The agreement came after WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus pledged to launch an independent probe to review the coronavirus pandemic response as soon as possible, and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) announced that China would provide US$2 billion over two years to fight the coronavirus pandemic and its economic fallout. Despite the US and other members stepping up pressure in recent days, the WHA unanimously agreed to postpone a decision on observer
Another automatic 30-day visa extension for foreigners who entered Taiwan on or before March 21 this year has been granted, Minister of Foreign Affairs Joseph Wu (吳釗燮) announced yesterday during the Central Epidemic Command Center’s (CECC) daily news briefing. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs had granted an initial automatic 30-day visa extension on March 21 for foreigners who entered Taiwan on or before that date with a visa waiver, visitor’s visa or landing visa — and another on April 17, as part of tightened border control measures to contain the COVID-19 pandemic. Many foreigners who arrived in Taiwan on holidays or for
PROTEST SENT: Despite a wave of international support Taiwan did not receive an invite, which means that it and all WHO members would lose out, the two ministers said Taiwan deeply regrets and is very dissatisfied that it was not invited to attend the annual World Health Assembly (WHA), which began a virtual meeting yesterday, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) and Minister of Foreign Affairs Joseph Wu (吳釗燮) said. During the Central Epidemic Command Center’s daily news conference, Chen, who heads the center, said that as of 2pm, Taiwan had not received an invitation to the meeting, which was to begin at 6pm Taiwan time. “We put in our efforts [to get invited] up until the last moment, but it seems that we are unlikely to be invited,
US lawmakers and officials are crafting proposals to push US companies to move operations or key suppliers out of China that include tax breaks, new rules and carefully structured subsidies. Interviews with a dozen current and former government officials, industry executives and members of Congress show widespread discussions underway — including the idea of a “reshoring fund” originally stocked with US$25 billion — to encourage US companies to drastically revamp their relationship with China. US President Donald Trump has long pledged to bring manufacturing back from overseas, but the spread of COVID-19 and related concerns about US medical and food supply chains