Thu, Dec 16, 2010 - Page 1 News List

Boat full of refugees sinks in Australian waters, 27 perish


At least 27 refugees, including children, died yesterday after their wooden boat shattered in violent seas off Australia before horrified witnesses, with fears as many as 50 could have perished.

Customs officials confirmed that 42 people survived the accident, but added that “tragically, initial reports are that 27 bodies have also been recovered,” as the search continued into the night.

Medics have warned there could be as many as 50 deaths among the group, thought to be from Iraq and Iran.

Christmas Island residents watched aghast from the cliffs as the tragedy unfolded below, helpless to assist those dashed against the rocks and debris as bodies floated in the churning sea and rescuers tried to save the living.

“There were children in the water. There was one very small child in a life jacket floating face down for a very long time ... clearly dead,” local shop owner Simon Prince said. “It’s something I’m not going to forget very quickly.”

Woken by the screams of victims, Prince said locals gathered life jackets and rushed to the sheer limestone cliffs to offer help, but strong winds blew the flotation devices back onshore.

The group drifted for about an hour after losing engine power and only one man managed an “incredible leap” to safety before waves smashed the vessel apart on the rocks, Prince said.

Witnesses said the boat was crowded with passengers, mostly families.

“Once it hit the rocks it shattered into pieces,” local councillor Kamar Ismail said. “I heard people screaming for help, we just said to them ‘We can’t, we can’t do much,’ we could throw them life jackets, that’s all.”

Prince said people were “crushed against jagged limestone” as navy rescuers battled towering swells to reach them in inflatable dinghies, while locals made a human chain and tried to cast ropes and life preservers down.

“The tragedy continued for some time and we witnessed people actually drowning,” said another witness Phillip Stewart.

Local electrician Michael Foster said most of the group were right next to the rocks and “you could hear the women screaming, it was trying times for people trying to help them.”

The Flying Doctors dispatched a medical jet to pick up three critically wounded people — two men with head wounds and a woman with abdominal injuries.

“We understand, and it’s not confirmed, that there are about 50 dead and 33 walking wounded,” Flying Doctors’ spokeswoman Lesleigh Green said.

Comments will be moderated. Keep comments relevant to the article. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned. Final decision will be at the discretion of the Taipei Times.

TOP top