A ban on Russian grain exports ordered by Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin came into force yesterday, with the government battling to keep down prices of basic foodstuffs amid a record drought.
According to a government decree signed by Putin on Aug. 5, the ban will extend from yesterday up until Dec. 31, although the powerful prime minister has indicated it may even be extended beyond that date if the harvest is bad.
Russia, the world’s No. 3 wheat exporter last year, has already warned that its grain harvest this year will be between only 60 million tonnes and 65 million tonnes, compared with 97 million tonnes last year.
The drought amid the worst ever heatwave in Russia’s history has ruined one quarter of the country’s crops, Russian President Dmitry Medvedev said.
The export ban is aimed at keeping the Russian domestic market well supplied with grain to prevent sharp rises in prices. Russia’s leaders, acutely nervous of social unrest, will be keen to avoid any discontent over food prices.
“We must not allow an increase in domestic prices and must preserve the headcount of our cattle,” Putin said bluntly as he announced the ban.
Last year, Russia exported 21.4 million tonnes of grain and had even embarked on a major new campaign to boost its international market share, an ambition that now must be set aside for some time.
Russia requires 78 million tonnes of grain domestically and can cover the shortfall with 9.5 million tonnes from a state fund and 21 million tonnes left over from last year’s harvest, the government has said.
Medvedev acknowledged last week that both market participants and ordinary people were worried about “how this extraordinarily hard summer would affect the prices of the most basic foodstuffs.”
He vowed the authorities would not allow grain prices to rise and would keep a close eye on costs for food products, such as flour, bread, meat and milk.
The export ban from such a key global player stung world wheat markets, sending prices to two-year highs and sparking worries of a crisis in global food supplies.
The subsidiary of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) in Kumamoto, Japan, turned a profit in the first quarter of this year, marking the first time the first fab of the unit has become profitable since mass production started at the end of 2024. According to the contract chipmaker’s financial statement released on Friday, Japan Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Inc (JASM), a joint venture running the fab in Kumamoto, posted NT$951 million (US$30.19 million) in profit in the January-to-March period, compared with a loss of NT$1.39 billion in the previous quarter, and a loss of NT$3.25 billion in the first quarter of
DRONE CENTRAL: Taiwan aims to become Asia’s democratic hub for drones, with most exports focused on high-quality military-grade models, an official said Taiwan’s drone industry is expected to expand significantly by 2030, producing 100,000 units per month and exporting half of them, the Ministry of Economic Affairs said yesterday. Current drone production capacity is about 15,000 units per month, but the industry can quickly scale up as demand increases, Industrial Development Administration Director-General Chiou Chyou-huey (邱求慧) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s drone output grew 2.5-fold last year to NT$12.9 billion (US$408.3 million) under a government program to develop the uncrewed vehicle sector, he said. The Executive Yuan in October last year approved plans to invest NT$44.2 billion into domestic production of uncrewed aerial
RESOLUTE BACKING: Two Republican senators are planning to introduce legislation that would impose immediate sanctions on China if it attempts to invade Taiwan US House of Representatives Speaker Mike Johnson on Sunday reaffirmed US congressional support for Taiwan, saying the US and “all freedom-loving people” have a stake in preventing China from seizing Taiwan by force. Johnson made the remarks in an interview with Fox News Sunday on US President Donald Trump’s summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) last week. In an interview that aired on Friday on Fox News, just as Trump wrapped up a high-stakes visit to China, he said he has yet to green-light a new US$14 billion arms package to Taiwan and that it “depends on China.” “It’s a very good
US President Donald Trump yesterday said he would speak to President William Lai (賴清德) as his administration considers whether to move ahead with a US$14 billion weapons sale to Taiwan — a potential arms deal that has drawn criticism from China. “Well, I’ll speak to him. I speak to everybody,” Trump told reporters yesterday when asked if he had any plans to call his counterpart, although he did not offer a time frame for when such a conversation could take place. Trump previously said he would speak to the person “that’s running Taiwan,” without specifying who he meant. “We have that situation very