Chinese social networking Web sites that provide Twitter-like services have suddenly reverted to testing mode and access has been spotty amid reports of a government clampdown.
Although Twitter has been banned for more than a year in China, Chinese Internet companies have been quick to fill the void, providing microblogging services that allow users to post frequent updates and follow other posters.
Yesterday, NetEase.com Inc’s microblog was inaccessible. A notice said the site had been down since 7pm on Tuesday and was under maintenance. Sohu.com Inc’s microblog was also shut down for more than a day earlier in the week and all Chinese “twitters” now display the notice “in testing mode.”
Company sources said the developments were the result of tightened government controls over the new services.
“Nobody will publicly announce the reason, but it is as obvious as a fly on a bald head,” one source said, declining to be named because of the sensitivity of the matter.
The Shanghai-based Oriental Morning Post cited unnamed “industry sources” as saying that the Web sites were under pressure from Chinese censors.
Meanwhile, the developer of a controversial Internet filter software in China has denied it has closed because of a lack of funding, but it confirmed it was having financial difficulties, state media said yesterday.
The general manager of Beijing Dazheng Human Language Technology Academy — one of two companies behind Green Dam Youth Escort — said the company’s office had not closed nor had 30 employees been dismissed, the China Daily reported.
Chen Xiaomeng, however, said the company had been forced to move its office to a new location in Beijing because of financial problems.
“We are going to publish clarifications,” Chen was quoted as saying.
Last year, China ordered all computer makers to bundle the Green Dam software with any new personal computer sold in the country from July 1 last year.
In related news, a leading Chinese Internet regulator has vowed to reduce anonymity in China’s portion of cyberspace, calling for requirements that people use their real names when buying a mobile phone or go online, New York-based Human Rights in China said.
In an address to the National People’s Congress in April, Wang Chen (王晨), director of the State Council Information Office, called for perfecting the censorship system the government uses to manage the fast-evolving Internet.
Chen’s comments were reported only briefly when they were made in April. Human Rights in China said the government quickly removed a full transcript posted on the legislature’s Web site.
However, the group said it found an unexpurgated text and the discrepancies show that Beijing is wary that its tightening of controls might prove unpopular.
Wang said holes that needed to be plugged included ways people could post comments or access information anonymously, according to the transcript published this week in China Rights Forum.
“We will make the Internet real name system a reality as soon as possible, implement a nationwide cellphone real name system, and gradually apply the real name registration system to online interactive processes,” the journal quoted Wang as saying.
NINE NEW CASES: The CECC said two locally transmitted cases of COVID-19, and seven imported ones – five women and two men – brought the nation’s total to 348 People who refuse to wear a mask on public transportation after being asked to do so would face a NT$3,000 to NT$15,000 fine, effective immediately, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday after announcing nine additional COVID-19 cases. In a move to curtail the spread of the novel coronavirus, the Ministry of Transportation and Communications on Tuesday announced that people must wear masks on trains and intercity buses, while Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, on Tuesday said that people should wear them when they cannot maintain a social distance of 1.5m indoors. Chen yesterday
TRILLION PROPOSED: The premier said the goal was to keep ‘businesses solvent, the unemployment rate down, transportation and logistics going, and cash flowing’ The Executive Yuan yesterday announced an expanded economic stimulus package totaling NT$1.05 trillion (US$34.64 billion), including NT$81.6 billion in subsidies for employers to prevent a spike in unemployment. The increased budget comprises a special budget of NT$210 billion, up from the NT$60 billion already passed by the Legislative Yuan; NT$140 billion — up from NT$40 billion — to be appropriated from the general budget; and NT$700 billion in loans to industries affected by the COVID-19 pandemic, Directorate-General of Budget, Accounting and Statistics Minister Chu Tzer-ming (朱澤民) told a news conference at the Executive Yuan in Taipei. The NT$150 billion increase in the
TARGETED TEXTS: The center’s head said that visitor numbers at scenic spots were greater than expected and people did not do a very good job of social distancing The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday sent two warning text messages to urge people to practice social distancing, especially by avoiding crowded scenic areas. The two messages were sent at 11:55am on the third day of the four-day Tomb Sweeping Day weekend, reminding people about social distancing and hand hygiene to help prevent COVID-19 infection. “When visiting crowded scenic spots during the Tomb Sweeping Day weekend, please keep a social distance of at least 1.5m indoors and 1m outdoors, wear a mask and wash your hands frequently. Please wear a mask and seek immediate medical attention if you are feeling ill
The US National Security Council yesterday thanked Taiwan for its support amid the COVID-19 pandemic following President Tsai Ing-wen’s (蔡英文) announcement that Taiwan would donate 10 million masks to hard-hit countries. The donation includes 2 million masks to the US on top of the weekly 100,000 announced previously; 7 million to Europe; and 1 million to diplomatic allies, on top of 1 million Taiwan procured for allies from their neighboring countries, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said on Wednesday. After European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen expressed appreciation for the donations, the US body yesterday wrote its thanks on Twitter. “We