The Executive Yuan yesterday decried the violence in China’s Xinjiang region and called on Chinese authorities to handle the situation with more tolerance.
Executive Yuan spokesman Su Jun-pin (蘇俊賓) quoted Premier Liu Chao-shiuan (劉兆玄) as telling yesterday’s weekly Cabinet meeting: “We regret the communal violence in the Urumqi area in the past few days and are concerned about the heavy casualties resulting from the incident.”
“Zhonghua minzu [中華民族, Chinese people] are people who stand firmly for all ethnicities coexisting in harmony. In accordance with the UN Covenant on Civil and Political Rights and the UN Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights, of which both Taiwan and the mainland are signatories, people have freedom of belief, religion, assembly and association,” Su quoted Liu as saying. “Those are basic rights and universal values.”
It was the first time Liu had commented on the unrest that started on Sunday.
Liu refused to answer media queries on the crackdown on protesters on Tuesday, saying that he did not have sufficient information on the situation.
He urged the Chinese military and other parties to keep calm and exercise restraint and demanded that Chinese authorities protect Taiwanese and their property in China, Su said.
Meanwhile, President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) has continued to stay silent on the issue.
Presidential Office Spokesman Wang Yu-chi (王郁琦) said the Mainland Affairs Council would address the situation instead of Ma.
The council issued a statement yesterday, calling on all parties to remain calm and communicate with each other in a peaceful and rational manner.
It also reminded Chinese authorities that social stability could be maintained only on the basis of upholding human rights.
The council expressed the hope that China would accelerate reforms in line with the two UN-sponsored human rights covenants.
“Only through reform and progress on all fronts, not just economic growth, can a harmonious society be achieved,” the council said.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY MO YAN-CHIH AND CNA
UNFIT TO LEAD? The WHO head blamed Taiwan for attacks on his person and said that the nation’s bid to join had an ‘ulterior political motive,’ a report said WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus should not allow politics to supersede professionalism, Presidential Office spokesman Xavier Chang (張惇涵) said yesterday after it was reported that Tedros had complained about Internet commentary that he was pro-China and unfit to continue in his position. The Chinese-language report by Up Media on Thursday cited a source familiar with Taiwanese foreign affairs as saying that Tedros blamed Taiwan for attacks on his person and that the nation’s bid to join the WHO had an “ulterior political motive.” While Chang said he could not be certain what Tedros had said, regardless of the comments, his allegations were
‘TAIWAN MODEL’: The government aims to determine whether using normal scheduled flights better meets its objectives than the charter flights used previously The Straits Exchange Foundation yesterday announced a third set of flights to evacuate 440 Taiwanese from China’s Hubei Province due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The flights, operated by China Airlines Ltd (中華航空) according to its normal schedule, are on Sunday and Monday next week. They are to depart Shanghai Pudong International Airport at 7:50pm and arrive at Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport at 9:50pm, the foundation said. China Airlines is to dispatch two Boeing 777. The aircraft has a capacity of 358 passengers, but each would only carry 220 to ensure a proper distance is maintained between those onboard, it said. Within hours of the foundation
Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro on Thursday stood defiant in the face of a US$15 million bounty issued by the US for him to face drug trafficking charges, calling US President Donald Trump a “racist cowboy,” and warning that he is ready to fight by whatever means necessary should the US and Colombia dare to invade. Maduro’s bellicose remarks came hours after the US announced sweeping indictments against him and several members of his inner circle, for allegedly converting Venezuela into a criminal enterprise at the service of drug traffickers and terrorist groups. One indictment by prosecutors in New York accused Maduro and
The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday reported 17 new cases of COVID-19, bring the nation’s total number of confirmed cases to 252. Of the new cases, 15 were imported and two were locally transmitted, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) said at the center’s daily news conference in Taipei. The 15 imported cases were seven women and eight men in their 20s to 60s who entered Taiwan between Monday last week and Monday this week, said Chen, who also heads the center. Prior to the onset of their illness, they had traveled to the US, the UK, New Zealand, Spain,