North Korea test-fired seven ballistic missiles yesterday, on US Independence Day celebrations, South Korean officials said, further fueling regional tensions amid its nuclear standoff.
Seoul’s foreign ministry said all seven of the weapons launched into the Sea of Japan were ballistic missiles, which North Korea is banned from firing under UN Security Council resolutions.
It was the first time in three years that the communist state had fired multiple ballistic missiles.
South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said the missiles had a range of between 400km and 500km, but declined to say what type they were.
Yonhap news agency said they were either Scuds, or Rodong-1 missiles whose range of 1,000km to 1,300km had been shortened.
North Korea on Thursday test-fired seven short-range missiles with a range of 120km into the Sea of Japan.
The latest launches were seen as more provocative since the missiles could potentially reach most of South Korea, and possibly parts of Japan.
“The military, on the basis of a strong joint defense alliance with the United States, is fully prepared to fend off any threats or provocations by the North,” the Joint Chiefs of Staff said in a statement.
The foreign ministry said the missiles were fired from a site at Kitdaeryong on North Korea’s southeast coast.
It said the “provocative act ... clearly violates” three UN Security Council resolutions, including the latest one from last month that toughened weapons-related sanctions on North Korea in response to its May 25 nuclear test.
“The government expresses deep regret over North Korea’s continued acts to escalate tensions in Northeast Asia in ignorance of the UN Security Council resolutions and urges North Korea to faithfully implement the resolutions,” it said in a statement.
“The Scuds fired today impose a greater security threat to us because of their longer ranges,” one government official was quoted as saying by Yonhap.
“Thursday’s missile tests were apparently made as part of a military drill, but today’s [Saturday] launches, which came on the eve of the US Independence Day, are believed to be for political purposes,” the officials said.
Japan has condemned the launches.
“It is a serious act of provocation against the security of neighboring countries, including our country,” Chief Cabinet Secretary Takeo Kawamura said.
Analysts said North Korea was flexing its military muscle amid the tough international sanctions imposed on Pyongyang over its nuclear weapons and missile programs.
Meanwhile, the Taiwanese government yesterday expressed concern and condemned any action that might undermine regional peace.
Ministry of Foreign Affairs Spokesman Henry Chen (陳銘政) said any move that jeopardizes regional peace should be restrained, adding that regional disputes should be resolved in a peaceful manner.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY CNA
Dignitaries from 47 countries yesterday congratulated President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) on the commencement of her second term and highlighted Taiwan’s achievements in democracy and its response to the COVID-19 pandemic, after US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo sent his congratulations a day earlier. As of noon yesterday, 263 high-ranking officials from 47 countries and global organizations had congratulated Tsai via statements, letters, social media posts or recorded footage, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said, while releasing a collection of footage sent by selected dignitaries. The governments of Taiwan’s 15 diplomatic allies sent their congratulations, as did the Czech Republic, France, Germany, Italy,
REASSURING NUMBERS: Taiwan’s test capacity ranks sixth or seventh among 91 nations, and is not low compared with other nations, Chen Shih-chung said The quarantine period for foreigners visiting Taiwan for business would vary based on the COVID-19 situation of the nation or territory that they are coming from, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday, as it reported the 13th consecutive day of no new cases. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, told reporters at the center’s daily briefing that modified rules covering foreign business visitors had been completed and were ready for him to sign. The complete details of the new rules would be released later this week, he said. Foreigners on long business trips would have
IN PROTEST: The US’ top diplomat said the WHA had been deprived of Taiwan’s scientific expertise, while Tsai said political factors should not be put above health US Secretary of State Michael Pompeo on Monday condemned Taiwan’s exclusion from the World Health Assembly (WHA), while President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) yesterday lodged a strong protest against the WHO for not inviting Taiwan. Twenty-two nations voiced support for Taiwan’s bid for participation on the first day of the assembly’s two-day virtual meeting, but despite the global community’s unprecedentedly strong support for Taiwan, it remained blocked from the assembly, with WHO member states on Monday agreeing to delay discussion on Taiwan until later this year. Pompeo, who on May 6 urged WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus to invite Taiwan to the WHA,
The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday announced no new cases of COVID-19, adding that a ban on mask exports would be lifted soon under three conditions. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that 401 people from among the nation’s 440 confirmed cases have been removed from isolation. Yesterday was the 12th consecutive day that no new cases of COVID-19 were reported in Taiwan, and the 37th day of no new domestic cases. “As our local communities have gradually become safe, we should not become careless,” Chen said. “We should continue to take personal protective measures