The Russian military has information about a planned ballistic missile launch by North Korea, a senior military source was quoted as saying by Interfax news agency yesterday.
“We have certain information on the type and characteristics of the rocket. However, there is no precise information on the timing of its launch,” the source in Russia’s General Staff told Interfax.
He added that Russia would be monitoring the launch. It was unclear whether he was referring to a short or long-range missile. Separately, the ITAR-TASS news agency quoted a source in the Russian foreign ministry as saying: “Judging by everything, a launch will take place. There are signs that preparations for this are underway.”
North Korea has launched a series of short-range missiles since carrying out a nuclear test on May 25. US and South Korean officials have said there are signs that it may also be preparing to test-fire a long-range missile.
Russia has a short border with North Korea and is part of the six-party negotiations aimed at convincing the country’s Communist regime to give up its nuclear program.
Meanwhile, South Korea has informed the US of up to 20 North Korean bank accounts suspected of being involved in counterfeiting, money laundering and other illegal transactions, a news report said yesterday.
The move came as Washington considered punishing the North with its own financial sanctions apart from proposed UN sanctions.
Separately, seven key nations neared agreement on a new UN resolution that would toughen sanctions against North Korea for defying the UN Security Council and conducting a second nuclear test on May 25.
South Korea gave the US the information on between 10 to 20 North Korean bank accounts in China and Switzerland at Washington’s request, South Korea’s Chosun Ilbo newspaper reported, citing an unidentified government official.
A South Korean Foreign Ministry official said he was seeking to confirm the report.
The subsidiary of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) in Kumamoto, Japan, turned a profit in the first quarter of this year, marking the first time the first fab of the unit has become profitable since mass production started at the end of 2024. According to the contract chipmaker’s financial statement released on Friday, Japan Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Inc (JASM), a joint venture running the fab in Kumamoto, posted NT$951 million (US$30.19 million) in profit in the January-to-March period, compared with a loss of NT$1.39 billion in the previous quarter, and a loss of NT$3.25 billion in the first quarter of
DRONE CENTRAL: Taiwan aims to become Asia’s democratic hub for drones, with most exports focused on high-quality military-grade models, an official said Taiwan’s drone industry is expected to expand significantly by 2030, producing 100,000 units per month and exporting half of them, the Ministry of Economic Affairs said yesterday. Current drone production capacity is about 15,000 units per month, but the industry can quickly scale up as demand increases, Industrial Development Administration Director-General Chiou Chyou-huey (邱求慧) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s drone output grew 2.5-fold last year to NT$12.9 billion (US$408.3 million) under a government program to develop the uncrewed vehicle sector, he said. The Executive Yuan in October last year approved plans to invest NT$44.2 billion into domestic production of uncrewed aerial
RESOLUTE BACKING: Two Republican senators are planning to introduce legislation that would impose immediate sanctions on China if it attempts to invade Taiwan US House of Representatives Speaker Mike Johnson on Sunday reaffirmed US congressional support for Taiwan, saying the US and “all freedom-loving people” have a stake in preventing China from seizing Taiwan by force. Johnson made the remarks in an interview with Fox News Sunday on US President Donald Trump’s summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) last week. In an interview that aired on Friday on Fox News, just as Trump wrapped up a high-stakes visit to China, he said he has yet to green-light a new US$14 billion arms package to Taiwan and that it “depends on China.” “It’s a very good
US President Donald Trump yesterday said he would speak to President William Lai (賴清德) as his administration considers whether to move ahead with a US$14 billion weapons sale to Taiwan — a potential arms deal that has drawn criticism from China. “Well, I’ll speak to him. I speak to everybody,” Trump told reporters yesterday when asked if he had any plans to call his counterpart, although he did not offer a time frame for when such a conversation could take place. Trump previously said he would speak to the person “that’s running Taiwan,” without specifying who he meant. “We have that situation very