A column of Russian tanks and armored personnel carriers (APCs) seen leaving the Georgian city of Gori yesterday was not heading to the capital, Russian and Georgian officials said.
“A convoy of Russian tanks left Gori, but is not heading to Tbilisi,” Georgian Deputy Interior Minister Eka Zguladze said in televised remarks.
Interfax quoted a top Russian general, Anatoly Nogovitsyn, as saying: “Neither Russian subdivisions nor armored vehicles are moving to Tbilisi. They have not been given such a task.”
However, Georgia’s foreign ministry said in a statement yesterday that Russian tanks blocked the main Georgian highway connecting the rebel region of South Ossetia with the rest of the country.
Meanwhile, Russia’s military yesterday said it had shot down a Georgian reconnaissance drone over the main South Ossetian city of Tskhinvali, which Russia said indicated Georgia was not honoring a ceasefire, Interfax reported.
Interfax and RIA Novosti also quoted an unnamed Russian military spokesman as saying Russian forces in Gori were removing military vehicles and munitions that had been left unattended at Georgian army facilities.
“With the goal of demilitarizing the zone adjacent to the conflict, and likewise with the goal of guaranteeing the safety of the civilian population, Russian peacekeepers are removing these vehicles and munitions,” a military spokesman was quoted as saying by Interfax and RIA Novosti.
A journalist saw a column of about 60 Russian tanks, APCs and other vehicles on the main road that leads from Gori to Tbilisi.
The road has a number of turnings that allow traffic to turn in directions other than Tbilisi.
The armored column was seen about 10km outside Gori, pointed in the direction of the capital.
Russian soldiers leaned from the windows of the trucks shouting “Tbilisi! Tbilisi!” and waving Russian flags.
An EU peace plan for Georgia and Russia struggled to take hold yesterday, as the concept of having both sides retreat to their original positions ran into the stark reality of Russian dominance on the battlefield.
By yesterday morning, Georgia reported Russian tanks moving into its key central city of Gori outside the breakaway province of South Ossetia at the epicenter of fighting. It also lost its last stronghold in another separatist province, Abkhazia.
Georgian troops had completely pulled out of a small section of Abkhazia that they controlled — a development that reduces further significant fighting in Abkhazia’s Kodori Gorge but leaves the entire area in the hands of the Russian-backed separatists.
In central Georgia, about 50 Russian tanks entered Gori yesterday morning, Alexander Lomaia, the head of Georgia’s national security council, said.
The six-point EU plan, which obliges the parties to halt fighting, was to be reviewed by EU foreign ministers in Brussels yesterday.
Also See: US cancels exercise with Russia
and
The subsidiary of Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC, 台積電) in Kumamoto, Japan, turned a profit in the first quarter of this year, marking the first time the first fab of the unit has become profitable since mass production started at the end of 2024. According to the contract chipmaker’s financial statement released on Friday, Japan Advanced Semiconductor Manufacturing Inc (JASM), a joint venture running the fab in Kumamoto, posted NT$951 million (US$30.19 million) in profit in the January-to-March period, compared with a loss of NT$1.39 billion in the previous quarter, and a loss of NT$3.25 billion in the first quarter of
DRONE CENTRAL: Taiwan aims to become Asia’s democratic hub for drones, with most exports focused on high-quality military-grade models, an official said Taiwan’s drone industry is expected to expand significantly by 2030, producing 100,000 units per month and exporting half of them, the Ministry of Economic Affairs said yesterday. Current drone production capacity is about 15,000 units per month, but the industry can quickly scale up as demand increases, Industrial Development Administration Director-General Chiou Chyou-huey (邱求慧) told a news conference in Taipei. Taiwan’s drone output grew 2.5-fold last year to NT$12.9 billion (US$408.3 million) under a government program to develop the uncrewed vehicle sector, he said. The Executive Yuan in October last year approved plans to invest NT$44.2 billion into domestic production of uncrewed aerial
RESOLUTE BACKING: Two Republican senators are planning to introduce legislation that would impose immediate sanctions on China if it attempts to invade Taiwan US House of Representatives Speaker Mike Johnson on Sunday reaffirmed US congressional support for Taiwan, saying the US and “all freedom-loving people” have a stake in preventing China from seizing Taiwan by force. Johnson made the remarks in an interview with Fox News Sunday on US President Donald Trump’s summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) last week. In an interview that aired on Friday on Fox News, just as Trump wrapped up a high-stakes visit to China, he said he has yet to green-light a new US$14 billion arms package to Taiwan and that it “depends on China.” “It’s a very good
US President Donald Trump yesterday said he would speak to President William Lai (賴清德) as his administration considers whether to move ahead with a US$14 billion weapons sale to Taiwan — a potential arms deal that has drawn criticism from China. “Well, I’ll speak to him. I speak to everybody,” Trump told reporters yesterday when asked if he had any plans to call his counterpart, although he did not offer a time frame for when such a conversation could take place. Trump previously said he would speak to the person “that’s running Taiwan,” without specifying who he meant. “We have that situation very