Sat, Sep 15, 2007 - Page 1 News List

`Huakang Wolf' to be paroled soon

By Jimmy Chuang  /  STAFF REPORTER

Minister of Justice Morley Shih walks in front of a huge banner saying ``No bribes'' in Taipei yesterday. He said yesterday that the serial rapist known as the ``Huakang Wolf'' would be paroled from prison later this month.


The Ministry of Justice yesterday decided to parole the serial rapist known as the "Huakang Wolf" (華岡之狼) in two weeks.

Ministry officials made the decision after a three-hour meeting.

"We have reviewed the case and evaluated it carefully. He was sentenced to 16 years and has served 12 years already. Our observations show that he regrets what he did. So we approved his latest parole request," Minister of Justice Morley Shih (施茂林) said.

The Huakang Wolf, surnamed Yang (楊), was convicted 12 years ago on seven counts of theft and 27 counts of rape. He had preyed on female college students in the Shihlin and Beitou districts of Taipei.

The Hualien native was sent to Taipei Prison on Nov. 19, 1996.

Shih said that after leaving jail, Yang, 37, would be required to wear an electronic tagging device which will relay his whereabouts to law enforcement officers at all times. He will have to report to his guardian regularly after he is released.

It will take approximately two weeks to process the paperwork for his release.

Yang became eligible for parole in 2001, but he has been rejected seven times.

Reverend Huang Ming-chen (黃明鎮), who served as a guardian for Yang, said that he believed that Yang had completely rehabilitated and was ready to return to society.

"I still remember how he went totally crazy and was very upset after his first parole application was rejected. But now he can control his emotions better," Huang said. "I think he is ready to return to society and make a contribution. We will encourage him."

Yang took the college entrance exam in 2001 and was granted admission to National Taiwan University's sociology department. His first parole application was turned down because of recidivism concerns. He received a one-year enrollment deferment from the university.

In 2002, although the prison's rehabilitation committee was positive about Yang's progress in its rehabilitation program, his second application was also rejected.

The university notified Yang that his extension would expire in September 2002 and he must enroll or forfeit his spot.

Yang paid the tuition fees for one year of study and filed a one-year leave-of-absence application in hopes that he would be released the following year.

His admission to the university expired in late 2003. However, he will be able to take the entrance exam again after his release.

This story has been viewed 2869 times.

Comments will be moderated. Keep comments relevant to the article. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned. Final decision will be at the discretion of the Taipei Times.

TOP top