So-net Taiwan, an internet service provider formed in a joint venture between Japan's Sony and KG Telecommunications Co, assured customers yesterday that its services were secure following reports that Chinese hackers had stolen as many as 1,000 customers' credit card numbers and used them to make fraudulent purchases worth NT$5 million (US$152,000).
The Chinese-language United Daily News reported yesterday that hackers in China exploited weaknesses in the Internet service provider's system to net scores of sensitive numbers and other information.
The hackers used Trojan horse viruses to install key stroke recording software on computers and also created fake So-net Web pages to trick customers into inputting sensitive personal financial information such as credit card numbers, the report said.
Criminal Investigation Bureau officials said yesterday that the breaches could lead to mass identity theft, while So-net scrambled to beef up its security.
The Chinatrust Commercial Bank, which handles transactions on behalf of So-net, panned the Internet service provider for its allegedly lax online security, saying the company should assume financial responsibility for the approximately 1,800 credit card numbers that were lifted off So-net's system.
Hackers also gained access to scores of names, identity numbers and contact information belonging to So-net customers, increasing the chances of further identity theft, the report added.
As a major local Internet service provider, So-net Taiwan operates many online shopping forums and games in addition to providing Internet protocol addresses to customers.
The company yesterday said its services were secure and met local online security standards, but admitted to an identity theft case involving its customers last year.
Although the number of affected customers in that case was small, the company said it was unable to comment further because investigations were ongoing, the report said.
So-net said services would not be affected by its ongoing efforts to increase security.
Passengers on domestic flights would not be allowed to board if their temperature is more than 37.5°C or if they refuse to have their temperatures taken, Uni Air (立榮航空) and Mandarin Airlines (華信航空) said yesterday. The two airlines made the announcement after their parent companies — EVA Airways (長榮航空) and China Airlines (CAL, 中華航空) respectively — announced similar pre-boarding requirements on Saturday, along with a requirement that passengers wear masks during their flights, except when they have meals or drinks. Uni Air and Mandarin Airlines said domestic passengers would be required to wear masks from the time they start using self-help
CASE COUNT RISES: One of the new domestic cases is a nurse at a long-term care center, but so far tests on all the residents and other staff have been negative Flight transits through all Taiwanese airports would be banned for two weeks, starting tomorrow, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday as it announced 16 new confirmed cases of COVID-19, bringing the nation’s total to 169. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), head of the center, said all flight transits would be banned through April 7. In light of the rapidly increasing number of imported COVID-19 cases, there was a need to further reduce cross-border travel and the risk of disease transmission, the center said. The Civil Aeronautics Administration has informed airlines about the new measures, and anyone who has
A public health expert yesterday warned that too many people are meeting in small groups in coffee shops and restaurants without keeping a proper distance from one another, as he urged the government to loosen the criteria for testing young Taiwanese returning from abroad for COVID-19. People need to keep a social distance of at least 2m, National Taiwan University (NTU) College of Public Health dean Chan Chang-chuan (詹長權) said as the college presented its seventh weekly report on COVID-19 at a morning news conference. More than 300,000 confirmed cases of the virus have been reported in more than three-quarters of all
TWEET CONFIRMED: The US’ Morgan Ortagus backed up Taiwan, saying China only admitted that human-to-human transmission was possible as late as Jan. 20 Taiwan warned the WHO and China about possible human-to-human transmission of the new coronavirus at the end of last year, but the global health body did not make it public, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said yesterday. Department of International Organizations Director-General Bob Chen (陳龍錦) made the remark at a news briefing in Taipei, when asked about statements made by US Department of State spokeswoman Morgan Ortagus. “Dec. 31— that’s the same day Taiwan first tried to warn WHO of human-human transmission. Chinese authorities meanwhile silenced doctors and refused to admit human-human transmission until Jan. 20, with catastrophic consequences,” Ortagus wrote on