A suicide bomber blew himself up outside a US private security firm's office in southern Afghanistan yesterday, killing two Americans and five Afghans, officials and the company said.
The early morning blast at the US Protection and Investigation (USPI) compound in the troubled southern city of Kandahar was the deadliest in a recent string of similar attacks blamed on the ousted Taliban regime.
"USPI announces a suicide bomber attacked their Kandahar operation early [yesterday]. Two Americans and three Afghans were killed and many other persons were injured," a statement issued by the company said, adding all the dead worked for the firm.
The injured included both civilians and USPI employees, the company statement said, without providing details.
A USPI regional chief was one of those who died in the attack, according to a USPI employee at the scene, Mohammad Afzal, but the firm's office in the capital Kabul refused to comment further.
Two Afghan interpreters linked to the firm were also killed, bringing the death toll to five Afghans and two foreigners, Interior Ministry spokesman Zemarai Bashari said. He earlier said three foreigners had died.
A doctor at the Mirwais Hospital in Kandahar, speaking on condition of anonymity, also confirmed that it had received the bodies of five Afghans.
Police said the bomber approached on foot and detonated explosives strapped to his body outside the heavily guarded office, blowing him to pieces. No one has claimed responsibility for the attack.
Texas-based USPI is one of the biggest security firms working in Afghanistan, where it has operated since 2002. It employs 45 expatriates and hundreds of Afghans, some of whom are former members of private militias.
The attack was the ninth suicide bombing in Afghanistan since Nov. 25. Most of these have been in Kandahar, including one that killed two Canadian soldiers on Nov. 27.
Two more Canadian troops and four Afghans were wounded in a suicide car bombing in Kandahar on Tuesday.
TWO CASES: The five allegedly conspired with conglomerates, threatening the nation’s governance and subverting the rules of ethical conduct, a deputy chief prosecutor said Taipei prosecutors yesterday charged three legislators and one former lawmaker with contravening the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例) in a case linked to former Pacific Distribution Investment Co (太平洋流通) chairman Lee Heng-lung’s (李恆隆) battle with the Far Eastern Group (遠東集團) over ownership of the Pacific SOGO Department Store (太平洋崇光百貨) chain, while independent Legislator Chao Cheng-yu (趙正宇) was indicted in a separate case involving two funeral services companies and a plot of land in a national park. Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) legislators Chen Chao-ming (陳超明) and Sufin Siluko (廖國棟), Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator Su Chen-ching (蘇震清) and former New Power Party legislator
Swedish Member of Parliament Hampus Hagman is pushing for changing the name of the nation’s trade office in Taipei to signal improved relations with “Asia’s perhaps foremost democracy.” Hagman on Wednesday last week proposed renaming the Swedish Trade and Invest Council to “Sweden’s Office in Taipei,” following similar changes by other nations. The Swedish Trade and Invest Council, part of Business Sweden, is owned by the Swedish government and Swedish industry. Taiwan and Sweden share important values such as respect for democracy, human rights, the rule of law and freedom of speech, Hagman said in the motion, adding that the two nations
PENGHU INSPECTION: Taiwan cannot let its enemies strut around in its airspace, Tsai said, one day after a Chinese spokesman denied a median line exists in the Taiwan Strait Following China’s assertion on Monday that there is no “median line” in the Taiwan Strait, President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) yesterday pledged to defend the nation’s airspace during a visit to an air force base in Penghu, saying that Taiwan cannot allow others to flex their military muscle in its territorial airspace. Tsai praised the “heroic performance” of the pilots of the Indigenous Defense Fighters who have been intercepting Chinese People’s Liberation Army Air Force planes in recent days. “I have a lot of confidence in you. As soldiers of the Republic of China [ROC], how could we let enemies strut
EFFICIENCY: The rules for Philippine arrivals were revised after 17.6% of arrivals with symptoms tested positive, compared with 0.7% of those with no symptoms Starting today, Chinese spouses who hold a reunion permit can apply to enter Taiwan and travelers without symptoms from the Philippines do not need to be tested for COVID-19 upon arrival, but are to be tested after a 14-day quarantine, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that from today, Chinese who are married to a Taiwanese citizen and hold a reunion permit can apply to the National Immigration Agency for entry into Taiwan. Chinese who are married to a foreign national and hold an accompanied reunion permit