North Korea confirmed yesterday it would return to six-nation nuclear disarmament talks after a year-long boycott, as the chief US envoy stressed that the world needed to see progress.
The announcement that Pyong-yang had agreed to return to the negotiating table came late on Tuesday in Beijing, less than a month after the reclusive communist state stunned the world with its first atom bomb test.
Officials in Seoul said the talks on ending the North's nuclear programs would likely resume after a series of bilateral meetings among the key players on the sidelines of an APEC summit in Vietnam later this month.
World leaders welcomed North Korea's decision to rejoin the talks, which it had boycotted since November last year over the US imposition of financial sanctions, but the breakthrough was also greeted with some skepticism.
"The DPRK [North Korea] decided to return to the six-party talks on the premise that the issue of lifting financial sanctions will be discussed and settled between the DPRK and the US within the framework of the six-party talks," the North Korean foreign ministry said.
Christopher Hill, the lead US representative to the talks, said on Tuesday in Beijing that he had told North Korean envoy Kim Kye-gwan that Washington was willing to consider the matter.
"They made very clear that these were not conditions but they wanted to hear that we would address the issue of the financial measures in the context of the talks," Hill said after talks with Kim and Chinese envoy Wu Dawei (
But he added: "As someone who has been involved in this, I have not broken out the cigars and the champagne quite yet."
The six-way talks -- which began in 2003 -- bring together North and South Korea, China, Japan, Russia and the US.
North Korea agreed in September last year to scrap its nuclear programs in exchange for energy and security guarantees.
But it walked out of the negotiations two months later in protest at unilateral US sanctions aimed at blocking its access to the international banking system.
Before heading home to the US yesterday, Hill said further stalling from Pyongyang would not be acceptable.
"This next session has to be very carefully planned because we must achieve progress in these sessions," Hill told reporters at Beijing's international airport.
"We'll see if we can make some progress ... [but it] will be very difficult and we have a long way to go," he said.
Pyongyang angered the international community in July when it test-fired seven missiles, a move that prompted weapons-related UN sanctions.
Last month's underground nuclear test earned the North further global scorn and led the UN Security Council to slap another round of financial, trade and military sanctions on Pyongyang.
US President George W. Bush led international praise of the diplomatic breakthrough, saying he was "very pleased."
South Korea and Japan also welcomed the news, but Japanese Foreign Minister Taro Aso cautioned that the decision could not be embraced "with open arms" and that sanctions would remain in place.
In Seoul, Vice Foreign Minister Yu Myung-hwan said the talks were "most likely to take place following high-level coordination" on the sidelines of the APEC summit on Nov. 18-19 in Hanoi.
But he added that Pyongyang still faced tough punishment for its nuclear activities.
"If the talks bear fruit, the United Nations Security Council would adopt a new resolution to ease the sanctions, but the mere fact that North Korea decided to return to the talks will not result in eased sanctions," Yu said.
South Korean President Roh Moo-hyun, under fire at home for his "sunshine" policy of engagement with the North, signalled he would pursue the policy by appointing close allies to handle foreign affairs and relations with Pyongyang.
Presidential security adviser Song Min-soon was named foreign minister, while Lee Jae-joung will head the unification ministry.
also see story:
Tokyo says will maintain sanctions on North Korea
SCHEDULE: The delegation is due to meet with President Tsai Ing-wen this morning and witness the signing of an MOU on bilateral health cooperation in the afternoon US Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) Alex Azar yesterday arrived in Taipei aboard a US government plane at the head of a delegation that is the highest-level visit by a US official since Washington switched diplomatic recognition to China in 1979. Azar’s flight landed at Taipei International Airport (Songshan airport) at 4:48pm, nearly one hour earlier than scheduled, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said. The apron where it landed is reserved for military aircraft, the Songshan Air Force Base Command said. The members of Azar’s delegation included HHS Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response Robert Kadlec, HHS Chief of Staff Brian
ALEX AZAR: The first visit by a head of the Department of Health and Human Services would strictly observe the CECC’s special regulations, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said US Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) Alex Azar is to lead a delegation to Taiwan — the highest-level visit by a US Cabinet official since the two sides cut formal relations in 1979. The plan was announced yesterday morning by the US Department of Health and Human Services and confirmed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA). Beijing has expressed its concerns to Washington, Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Wang Wenbin (汪文斌) said later yesterday. Taiwan and the US only issued statements saying that the visit would happen “in the coming days.” MOFA said that due to security concerns, it would
‘CROSS-STRAIT CONSIDERATIONS’: Groups said that the Ministry of Education’s policies excluded Chinese and students should not be blocked over political issues The Taiwan International Student Movement yesterday said it would protest today outside the Ministry of Education in Taipei against a policy that excludes some Chinese students from returning to Taiwan amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Since June 17, the ministry has allowed foreign students from 19 “low risk” and “medium-low risk” countries and regions to enter Taiwan. On July 22, it announced that it was relaxing restrictions to include students from all countries and regions who are graduating this semester and on Wednesday it further expanded entry to students enrolled in degree programs. A letter sent by the ministry on Wednesday to universities did
The military last week sent “no small number” of Marine Corps officers to the Pratas Islands (Dongsha Island, 東沙群島) following reports of a Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) drill targeting the islands scheduled for this month. In an interview with Hong Kong’s Bauhinia Magazine published on Saturday last week, PLA National Defense University professor Li Daguang (李大光) confirmed that the Chinese army was planning to stage a simulated invasion of the Pratas Islands in the South China Sea this month. The islands comprise three atolls, with Pratas Island, at 1.74km2, being the largest. They lie southwest of Taiwan proper in the South