Taiwan and China have hammered out a broad agreement on cross-strait Lunar New Year flights, officials from both countries announced yesterday.
Taiwanese residents with the proper documents to enter and exit from both sides of the Taiwan Strait are eligible to travel via charter flights from Jan. 20 through Feb. 13, government officials said.
Compared to previous cross-strait charter flight agreements, the scheme for next year is much broader, with governments on both sides agreeing to relax the restrictions on passengers and increase the number of flights and destinations in China, Mainland Affairs Council Vice Chairman Johnnason Liu (
China's Taiwan Affairs Office, the council's counterpart in Beijing, also held a press conference making the deal public.
Originally, Lunar New Year charter flights, which first took place in 2003, were aimed at facilitating the reunion of Taiwanese businesspeople and their families in China with friends and relatives in Taiwan during the holiday period.
However, in this year's deal, the two governments decided to cancel limitations on who could travel across the Strait.
"Residents in Taiwan can use the charter-flight services, including Taiwanese people who want to travel to China and Chinese spouses living in Taiwan, as long as they have the correct documents to enter and exit the two countries," Liu said.
Liu said that the change is in response to people's demands.
Regarding the destination airports, besides Shanghai, Beijing, and Guangzhou, which were used last year, Liu said that Xiamen, where many Taiwanese businesses are located, will be another destination allowed this year.
The number of flights will increase from 48 last year to 72 during the 25-day period, with six Taiwanese and six Chinese airlines participating in the service.
Despite expanding the scope of destinations and the type of passengers who can use the charter flights, the routes and the destinations in Taiwan will remain the same as this year.
The charters are scheduled to run through the existing routes between CKS International Airport and Kaohsiung International Airport, via Hong Kong and to four destinations in China.
"We had suggested new routes -- via Jeju Island and Okinawa -- in a bid to shorten the route via Hong Kong during the negotiations, but the suggestion was not approved by the other side," Liu said.
Liu refused to reveal any details about the negotiation process, insisting that both sides have a tacit understanding that only the results of the negotiations are disclosed.
SAFETY RISK: The government is working to categorize countries based on their COVID-19 cases and prevention efforts, which would determine quarantine periods The government plans to rank countries based on their COVID-19 risks to determine how to treat tourists and other travelers from those nations once Taiwan reopens its borders, but it is still working out the categories, a top health official told lawmakers yesterday. “We would divide countries around the world into several categories. One category would comprise those countries with very few confirmed COVID-19 cases, such as New Zealand and Palau. Travelers from the countries in this category would only need to practice self-health management,” Centers for Disease Control Deputy Director-General Chuang Jen-hsiang (莊人祥) told a Legislative Yuan seminar hosted by
CASH BOOST: Foreign spouses with residency permits are also eligible for the coupons, which can be bought at post offices or linked to digital payment options Stimulus coupons for Taiwanese and foreign spouses with residency permits can be ordered starting on July 1 and can be used from July 15 to Dec. 31, the Executive Yuan said yesterday. Aimed at boosting domestic spending, the coupons worth NT$3,000 (US$100.04) are to cost NT$1,000. “For our consumers, this is a very good deal as they get three times as much value for their money,” Premier Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) told a news conference in Taipei. While the coupons are to have a wide range of uses, including at department stores, restaurants, book stores, night markets, beauty and hair salons, hotels, and to
SECURITY CONCERNS: The Telecom Technology Center ran black-box tests for the Executive Yuan on devices and software from Chinese, US and South Korean firms Network devices from several Chinese manufacturers are insecure and allow personal information to be leaked, testing commissioned by the Executive Yuan has shown. A variety of devices and software, including apps, from Chinese, US and South Korean manufacturers that are used by government agencies at the central and local level were subjected to black-box testing — in which the functionality of an application is examined without knowing about its internal structure, an information-security official said yesterday on condition of anonymity. The Telecom Technology Center conducted the tests, which simulated cyberattacks, to determine their resilience to the attacks, the official said. The center
RELATIONSHIP ‘TERMINATED’: US Speaker Nancy Pelosi said that the president’s action was ‘an act of extraordinary senselessness,’ a tone Chinese media echoed US President Donald Trump on Friday announced that Washington would withdraw funding from the WHO, end Hong Kong’s special trade status and suspend visas of Chinese graduate students suspected of conducting research on behalf of their government. Trump said in a White House announcement that Chinese officials “ignored” their reporting obligations to the WHO and pressured the organization to mislead the public about the outbreak. “We have detailed the reforms that it must make and engaged with them directly, but they have refused to act,” he said. “Because they have failed to make the requested and greatly needed reforms, we will be