Okinawa's governor told Japan's central government yesterday that a plan to build a US heliport on the southern island as part of a realignment of the US military presence there was unacceptable.
The heliport plan was part of a deal struck over the weekend to close the Futenma Marine Corps Air Station on Okinawa and move its functions to another base on the island.
"[The heliport plan] completely disagrees with the prefecture's ideas. It is absolutely not acceptable to Okinawa," Governor Keiichi Inamine said after meeting with Defense Facilities Administration Agency chief Iwao Kitahara.
Japan and the US reached a broad agreement on strengthening military cooperation, reducing the number of US Marines in Okinawa and giving Tokyo greater responsibility for security in the Pacific.
Under the accord, 7,000 US Marines will leave Okinawa for the US Pacific territory of Guam, a move that is expected to take six years. Japan will work with the US government to examine how it can help facilitate the move to Guam.
There are currently 14,460 Marines in Japan, the largest Marine contingent based overseas. Nearly all are on Okinawa, where some residents have expressed a strong desire for a rapid reduction in US forces.
Inamine welcomed the cut in troop numbers, but balked at the plan to relocate some functions of the Futenma base.
He said many Okinawans want Futenma to be removed altogether because of safety and environmental concerns.
``We do not believe the latest relocation plan can effectively resolve the issue,'' Inamine said.
An official from the Defense Facilities Administration Agency quoted Kitahara as saying earlier yesterday that ``very difficult opinions and suggestions'' had been received.
``We'll continue our effort to show sincerity and gain understanding,'' the official said on condition of anonymity, in accordance with agency rules.
The central government has the final say on the proposed move.
NPP WARNING: The NPP’s chairman said that a security law proposed by Beijing means it has renounced its promise to maintain ‘one country, two systems’ in HK The Taiwan People’s Party (TPP) yesterday proposed changing the law to provide protection for those seeking political asylum. China at the opening of the National People’s Congress in Beijing on Thursday introduced a draft security law for Hong Kong to ban treason, subversion and sedition, with a review expected next week. TPP caucus whip Jang Chyi-lu (張其祿) said that the party is concerned about democracy advocates in Hong Kong and has taken action to support them. The party has proposed an amendment to Article 18 of the Act Governing Relations with Hong Kong and Macau (香港澳門關係條例), which stipulates that the government can offer
The number of people from Hong Kong applying for residency in Taiwan last year rose 41 percent from a year earlier to 5,858, National Immigration Agency statistics showed. The statistics also showed that 600 applications were filed by Hong Kong residents in the first quarter of this year — three times the number filed in the same period last year — with applicants apparently not deterred by the COVID-19 pandemic. Just one day after it was reported that the Chinese government plans to enact new national security laws in Hong Kong, inquiries regarding immigration to Taiwan grew 10-fold, a Hong Kong-based immigration
‘BEGINNING OF THE END’: Democracy advocate Joshua Wong urged Hong Kongers to stand up and fight, and let the Chinese government know that they will not cave Hong Kong protesters yesterday battled with riot police in busy downtown areas, showing their opposition toward China’s dramatic move to crack down on dissent in the biggest demonstration since the coronavirus swept through the territory in January. Police deployed a water cannon and fired tear gas in the Causeway Bay shopping area after hundreds of protesters had gathered to oppose new national security legislation from China. Police warned the crowd they were taking part in an illegal gathering, and later said in a statement that “rioters threw umbrellas, water bottles and other objects at them.” At least 120 people were arrested,
‘TAIWAN IS SAFE’: As there have been no new local cases for 42 days, people should feel free to travel around the nation — as long as they follow disease prevention rules No new cases of COVID-19 were reported yesterday and only 20 of the people hospitalized after testing positive are still being treated in hospitals, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) said yesterday in Pingtung County’s Kenting (墾丁) as he promoted a “new disease prevention lifestyle” for the nation. As yesterday was the 42nd consecutive day with no new domestic cases, and experts consider 28 consecutive days with no domestic case — the span of two incubation periods — a sign that a community is relatively safe, Taiwan is safe, said Chen, who heads the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC),