First, mammoth waves washed over their villages, leaving not a single hut standing. \nThen the survivors' ordeal began: days of thirst, hunger and kilometers of walking until -- just at the point of rescue -- a hungry pack of crocodiles tried to snap them up. \nThe refugees lived to tell the tale, thanks to some Indian seamen who shot at the menacing crocodiles as the fleeing refugees made their way to a rescue ship. \n"As we were returning, two or three crocodiles started coming toward us," Sister Charity, a 32-year-old nun, said on Thursday. \n"The navy officers had to fire their revolvers to ward off the crocodiles to protect us," she said. \nHarrowing \nSister Charity, who was rescued from Hut Bay island, was among survivors who told harrowing stories as they emerged from the isolated Andaman and Nicobar islands. \nCrocodiles are common across Southeast Asia and the South Pacific and are among the many dangers survivors are facing after Sunday's disaster. \nAfter a tsunami in Papua New Guinea several years ago, crocodiles feasted on corpses scattered along the beaches. \nIn this remote spot in India, rescuers followed the stench to find rotting corpses in jungles on the 30 or so of the territory's 500 islands that are inhabited, officials said. \nSurvivors brought to Port Blair, the territory's capital, said they had not eaten for two days and also had to fend off the crocodiles that were swept ashore by the huge waves. \nMohammad Yusef, a 60-year-old fisherman from Tea Top village on Car Nicobar island, said his village was wiped out. \n"There's not a single hut which is standing," he said. \nYusef said he and his extended family of 20 walked a dozen kilometers to reach a devastated but functioning airfield on the island where thousands of people were being evacuated by India's air force. \nHis family was brought to a Catholic church in Port Blair. \nDestroyed \nYusef said there were about 15 villages around Car Nicobar's shore and all were destroyed. \n"Everything is gone. Most of the people have gone up to the hills and are afraid to come down," he said. \nDespite their travails, some people vowed to return home and start again. \n"We are broken, but this is not the end of life," said George Aberdeen, a 25-year-old coconut farmer whose village on Car Nicobar was washed away by Sunday's tsunami. \n"We will rebuild our lives. It will be difficult -- but the whole family will do it together," he said. \nJust how many villages and families remain was unclear. \nThe International Red Cross said 30,000 people might be missing on the island chains, which are more than 1,120km southeast of India's mainland and have a population of 350,000. \nThe islands' administrator, Lieutenant Governor Ram Kapse, said about 400 bodies had been cremated or buried and 3,000 were missing. \nAuthorities prevented journalists and representatives of international aid groups such as Oxfam, Doctors Without Borders and CARE from visiting the islands to assess the damage and death toll. \nAt a makeshift refugee center at the Nirmala Convent School, papier-mache stars still hung from the Christmas Mass as hundreds of people sat under blue plastic tarps while women in white saris served bowls of rice and lentils. \nLangley Matenga, George Aberdeen's brother-in-law, told of how he and his family of 10 fled the waves that engulfed their village, Mallaca, where some 500 Hindu, Muslim and Christian families lived. \n"We were trying to run ahead of the water. When we turned around, all the houses were gone," said Matenga, an indigenous Nicobarese. \n"Within five minutes, everything was gone. It was Sunday morning and we were planning to go to church -- and suddenly there was no church." \nBut there were few tears or hysterics among the thousands of survivors being ferried by boat and helicopter to Port Blair. \n"The Nicobarese are very calm people. They have taken this with a tremendous sense of maturity," Deputy Inspector-General A.N. Basudev Rao said. \nThe 30,000 Nicobarese are the largest group among the tribal peoples that account for about one-tenth of the islands' population. \nSome of the smaller indigenous groups, numbering only a few hundred each and mostly dwindling, maintain little contact with outsiders. They disappear into the forest when strangers approach and authorities hope that is the case now as they search for survivors. \n"They might be hiding in forests and taking shelter in places where we haven't reached yet," Rao said. \nHelicopters flying from 10 ships flew over the islands looking for signs of life, or mounds of dead. \nRao said finding and disposing of bodies on the islands was a daunting task. \n"A huge number of trees have fallen. There is a lot of slush," he said. \nNearly all the jetties on the islands were smashed by the waves, so search parties are using small wooden and rubber boats to land on beaches. \n"The rescue parties are approaching inch by inch," Rao said. "There is also a lot of stench. From the stench, they are trying to follow the direction to the bodies." \nSix Indian air force AN-32 cargo planes made dozens of flights from Port Blair to the airbase on Car Nicobar, bringing back 80 to 90 villagers on each run. \nAbout 580 survivors from the island of Hud Bay arrived by ship before dawn on Thursday. \nThe waves were so fierce that most of those who got aboard were men, who had to swim from shore. \nThey said more than 800 people were dead or missing on the island. \n"We just managed to save our lives," said Dana Amma, 60. "All our houses, our cattle, everything is gone. We don't know what to do."
FORCED LABOR: Customs officials have seized a 11.8 tonne shipment of products made from human hair on suspicion they were produced by people facing human rights abuses Federal authorities in New York City on Wednesday seized a shipment of weaves and other beauty accessories suspected to be made out of human hair taken from people locked inside a Chinese internment camp. US Customs and Border Protection (CPB) officials said that 11.8 tonnes of hair products worth an estimated US$800,000 were in the shipment. “The production of these goods constitutes a very serious human rights violation, and the detention order is intended to send a clear and direct message to all entities seeking to do business with the United States that illicit and inhumane practices will not be tolerated in
IRRESPONSIBLE ATTITUDES? Some experts say the NHI system does not do enough to educate the public, or pay doctors to talk to patients, about healthy lifestyles While the life expectancy of Taiwanese newborns in 2018 reached 80.69 years, the number of years people spent in poor health hit a record high at 8.41 years, Ministry of Health and Welfare statistics showed on Saturday. Healthy life expectancy is calculated by a person’s life expectancy minus the time they spend in ill health, such as the loss of mobility, disabilities and chronic disease, based on medical records and calculations about the years they live with disabilities. The number of years that Taiwanese spend in poor health is increasing slowly, but steadily, rising by 0.46 years, or five-and-a-half months, between 2012
UPTICK IN NUMBERS: The Taipei deputy mayor said the city has services to assist new immigrants, but has established an office specifically to help those from Hong Kong The Taiwan-Hong Kong Services and Exchanges Office today officially opens, where it is to provide humanitarian assistance to Hong Kongers, after Beijing yesterday passed a controversial national security law for the territory. President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) expressed dismay over China’s passage of the law, saying that Beijing has broken its pledge to allow Hong Kong to maintain a high degree of autonomy for at least 50 years following its handover from the UK. “I feel extremely disappointed [about the law’s passage], which means China did not keep its promise to Hong Kong,” Tsai said in Taipei. Beijing’s “broken promise” also
‘BASELESS ACCUSATIONS’: Ker Chien-ming said it was not possible to drop Chen Chu’s nomination, while KMT lawmakers accused their DPP rivals of ‘homicidal behavior’ The Legislative Yuan is to vote on President Tsai Ing-wen’s (蔡英文) nominations for the Control Yuan on July 17 after Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) legislators regained access to the legislative chamber yesterday after it was occupied by Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) lawmakers for about 19 hours. The Legislative Yuan had been scheduled to meet yesterday morning to discuss its planned extraordinary session, but more than 20 KMT lawmakers on Sunday afternoon broke into the main chamber and occupied the legislative speaker’s podium to protest Tsai’s nomination of former Presidential Office secretary-general Chen Chu (陳菊) to be Control Yuan president. The KMT caucus