Hon Hai Precision Industrial Co(鴻海精密), a leading Taiwanese electronics component maker, has signed a US$18 million contract to buy a cellphone manufacturing plant in Mexico from Motorola, the company said in a statement released late on Friday.
The deal will make Hon Hai Motorola's biggest handset original equipment manufacturing partner as Hon Hai is expected to land orders for 10 million handsets from Motorola by the end of this year, according to Chinese-language media citing unspecified analyst's yesterday.
"With the purchase deal, Hon Hai will get a stronger presence in the wireless communications sector ...," the company said in a statement on the Taiwan Stock Exchange Web site.
Hon Hai has also signed a long-term manufacturing contract with Motorola, the world's second-largest handset maker, the company said.
Hon Hai said the deal will be completed within 90 days, but declined to reveal details about the contract.
The purchase is Hon Hai's latest move to aggressively tap into the mobile phone market after acquiring Finland's mobile phone casing maker Eimo Oyj in May. Hon Hai currently holds 93.4 percent in the Finland concern.
In addition to Motorola, Hon Hai also assembles handsets for Nokia Oyj, the world's largest mobile phone vendor.
Hon Hai mainly produces electrical connectors and assembles personal computers for Dell and Hewlett-Packard, but is aggressively tapping into promising sectors such as mobile phone and flat-screen liquid crystal display manufacturing. The local company also produces PlayStation 2 game consoles for Sony.
Hon Hai shares ended unchanged at NT$158 each on the benchmark TAIEX on Friday.
Hon Hai said sales in September hit a historical high to NT$36.59 billion, a 60-percent jump from a year earlier. The accumulated sales during the first three quarters reached NT$220 billion.
Dignitaries from 47 countries yesterday congratulated President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) on the commencement of her second term and highlighted Taiwan’s achievements in democracy and its response to the COVID-19 pandemic, after US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo sent his congratulations a day earlier. As of noon yesterday, 263 high-ranking officials from 47 countries and global organizations had congratulated Tsai via statements, letters, social media posts or recorded footage, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said, while releasing a collection of footage sent by selected dignitaries. The governments of Taiwan’s 15 diplomatic allies sent their congratulations, as did the Czech Republic, France, Germany, Italy,
REASSURING NUMBERS: Taiwan’s test capacity ranks sixth or seventh among 91 nations, and is not low compared with other nations, Chen Shih-chung said The quarantine period for foreigners visiting Taiwan for business would vary based on the COVID-19 situation of the nation or territory that they are coming from, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday, as it reported the 13th consecutive day of no new cases. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, told reporters at the center’s daily briefing that modified rules covering foreign business visitors had been completed and were ready for him to sign. The complete details of the new rules would be released later this week, he said. Foreigners on long business trips would have
IN PROTEST: The US’ top diplomat said the WHA had been deprived of Taiwan’s scientific expertise, while Tsai said political factors should not be put above health US Secretary of State Michael Pompeo on Monday condemned Taiwan’s exclusion from the World Health Assembly (WHA), while President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) yesterday lodged a strong protest against the WHO for not inviting Taiwan. Twenty-two nations voiced support for Taiwan’s bid for participation on the first day of the assembly’s two-day virtual meeting, but despite the global community’s unprecedentedly strong support for Taiwan, it remained blocked from the assembly, with WHO member states on Monday agreeing to delay discussion on Taiwan until later this year. Pompeo, who on May 6 urged WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus to invite Taiwan to the WHA,
The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday announced no new cases of COVID-19, adding that a ban on mask exports would be lifted soon under three conditions. Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said that 401 people from among the nation’s 440 confirmed cases have been removed from isolation. Yesterday was the 12th consecutive day that no new cases of COVID-19 were reported in Taiwan, and the 37th day of no new domestic cases. “As our local communities have gradually become safe, we should not become careless,” Chen said. “We should continue to take personal protective measures