US-Sino talks centering on suspicions China has broken a pledge to halt exports of nuclear-capable missiles and components were officially halted yesterday after just one day of seemingly unprofitable discussions. \n"The talks are over," said a US embassy spokesman in Beijing, adding that both sides had kept open the option of continuing the meeting yesterday but decided not to. \nUS and Chinese experts met Thursday in Beijing following recent US media reports a Chinese state firm had sent missile components to Pakistan, in apparent violation of an agreement clinched late last year. \nUS officials here and in Washington said that "additional work" was needed for Washington to be satisfied China would stick to the accord thrashed out in November of last year. \n"We have not yet been fully satisfied in our discussions about that," State Department spokesman Philip Reeker said late Thursday, adding the talks were "candid" -- a term often applied in diplomatic circles to difficult or combative discussions. \nPaul Harris, associate professor of politics at Hong Kong's Lingnan University, said it was difficult to see a quick solution being reached on the issue given the broader issues bedevilling relations such as US arms sales to Taiwan. \n"The US seems to think China has violated this agreement, but China in turn sees the matter from its own very particularist perspective. It might think that while the US accuses it of weapons proliferation, the US is itself proliferating weapons to Taiwan in violation of another tacit agreement." \nHe added, "These particular problems between the US and China are caught up in much broader issues, which makes them difficult to solve." \nRecent intelligence leaks on the issue have heaped domestic political pressure on President George W. Bush as he prepares to visit Shanghai and Beijing in October. \nBeijing rejected a report in the Washington Times this month that one of its state-owned firms sent 12 batches of missile components to Pakistan as "baseless." Pakistan also denied the report. \nThe US team, led by senior State Department diplomat Vann Van Diepen, was expected to return to Washington to assess how the issue can be moved forward before Bush's visit.
At the start of their first-ever virtual World Health Assembly (WHA), WHO member states agreed to delay a controversial discussion on granting Taiwan observer status until later in the year. The agreement came after WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus pledged to launch an independent probe to review the coronavirus pandemic response as soon as possible, and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) announced that China would provide US$2 billion over two years to fight the coronavirus pandemic and its economic fallout. Despite the US and other members stepping up pressure in recent days, the WHA unanimously agreed to postpone a decision on observer
Another automatic 30-day visa extension for foreigners who entered Taiwan on or before March 21 this year has been granted, Minister of Foreign Affairs Joseph Wu (吳釗燮) announced yesterday during the Central Epidemic Command Center’s (CECC) daily news briefing. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs had granted an initial automatic 30-day visa extension on March 21 for foreigners who entered Taiwan on or before that date with a visa waiver, visitor’s visa or landing visa — and another on April 17, as part of tightened border control measures to contain the COVID-19 pandemic. Many foreigners who arrived in Taiwan on holidays or for
PROTEST SENT: Despite a wave of international support Taiwan did not receive an invite, which means that it and all WHO members would lose out, the two ministers said Taiwan deeply regrets and is very dissatisfied that it was not invited to attend the annual World Health Assembly (WHA), which began a virtual meeting yesterday, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) and Minister of Foreign Affairs Joseph Wu (吳釗燮) said. During the Central Epidemic Command Center’s daily news conference, Chen, who heads the center, said that as of 2pm, Taiwan had not received an invitation to the meeting, which was to begin at 6pm Taiwan time. “We put in our efforts [to get invited] up until the last moment, but it seems that we are unlikely to be invited,
US lawmakers and officials are crafting proposals to push US companies to move operations or key suppliers out of China that include tax breaks, new rules and carefully structured subsidies. Interviews with a dozen current and former government officials, industry executives and members of Congress show widespread discussions underway — including the idea of a “reshoring fund” originally stocked with US$25 billion — to encourage US companies to drastically revamp their relationship with China. US President Donald Trump has long pledged to bring manufacturing back from overseas, but the spread of COVID-19 and related concerns about US medical and food supply chains