The banks of the Ganges in northern India witnessed an eruption of devotional rituals yesterday, the holiest day of the world's largest religious festival, as an estimated 20 million Hindu pilgrims bathed in its waters. \nEven for a pilgrimage that breathes superlatives, yesterday's mass bathing was on a staggering scale. \nKumbh Mela police chief Alok Sharma said the event had passed off peacefully as of 12am but the crush of humanity took a toll, leaving at least two elderly men from a monastic sect dead. \n"Both were in their 80s and had been queuing up for hours for a dip in the Ganges when they died of cold," said Dayanand Baba of the Juna Naga (unclothed) sect. \nHindu devotees surged ahead, brushing aside the suffocating overcrowding and journalists at the site saw men and women with fractures and serious bruises being treated by mobile medical teams. \nAllahabad city's chief administrator Sadakant said such incidents were bound to happen despite the months of "pain-staking" planning for organizing the fest. \nThe bathing ritual was led in a dramatic fashion by the Nagas, the most revered of sadhu (Hindu sage) sects, marching in colorful processions from about 5:15am yesterday. \nThe first to bathe at 5:45am were 1,000 Nagas from the "Maha Nirvani" sect, who threw off their marigold garlands and charged naked and shouting into the waters at the sacred "Sangam" -- the confluence of the Ganges, the Yamuna and the mythical Saraswati rivers. \nThe group included both the dreadlocked older Nagas and shaven-headed initiates, who were taking their first plunge after their initiation into the sect. \nIn sharp contrast to the pomp and drama surrounding the bathing of the Nagas was the picture of the millions of ordinary Hindus, who make up the vast majority at the 12-yearly Maha Kumbh fair, taking a dip in the Ganges. \nHundreds of boats were seen ferrying devotees to the "Sangam," which has a capacity to allow 20,000 pilgrims to bathe at a time. \nKumbh Mela administrator Jeevesh Nandan said at first estimates 15 million Hindu devotees had taken the soul-salvaging dip since 7pm on Tuesday. \nBottlenecks at either end of the pontoons bridging different sections of the bathing areas saw thousands, including elderly women and young children, pressed into a rib-breaking mass. \nThe 13 "akharas" or regiments of the Nagas were followed by colorful processions led by other groups of sadhus, seated on chariots decorated with marigolds and pulled by tractors. \nThousands carrying swords, tridents and saffron flags marched in front of the chariots all the way down to the river. \nMore than 30 million people were expected to bathe before the auspicious hours ended at 5:15pm yesterday. \nRajat Singh, who travelled from the desert state of Rajasthan, said he felt immense peace after bathing. \n"I feel as if all my problems are washed away after bathing in the Ganges. Last year, our village suffered a terrible drought and I came here to ask for a good monsoon and harvest and I feel my prayers have been answered," Singh said. \nMore than 10,000 policemen, dog squads and bomb disposal teams were deployed to prevent untoward happenings. \nYesterday was the second of the festival's four "royal" bathing days when the elixir of immortality -- dropped during a mythical struggle between gods and demons -- is believed to be present in the waters.
HONG KONG SECURITY: The president blasted regulations requiring Taiwanese agents or political organizations to provide information on their Hong Kong-related activities President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) yesterday warned of countermeasures should controversial Chinese national security legislation imposed on Hong Kong undermine or harm Taiwanese interests. Article 43 of the legislation empowers the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region to serve written notices to Taiwanese political organizations or individual agents to furnish information on their Hong Kong-related activities, including their personal particulars, finances, assets, expenditure and capital in the territory. Failure to comply or providing false or incomplete information can result in a fine of HK$100,000 (US$12,903) or imprisonment of six months or two years respectively. Tsai said that Taiwan would keep a close watch on how
PROBE LAUNCHED: An officer who served as a supervisor in the drill died in an apparent suicide after the accident, which was caused by unexpected waves Two marines who were on Friday injured in a military exercise in the waters off Kaohsiung passed away yesterday, Navy Command said. The marines — surnamed Tsai (蔡), 26, and a sergeant surnamed Chen (陳), 36 — were in a seven-member Marine Corps team that encountered rough seas during a simulated response to enemy forces landing on Taiwan. Their rubber craft overturned in waters off Taoziyuan (桃子園) beach in Zuoying District (左營), injuring four of the marines. They were rushed to hospital, where three of them — Tsai, Chen and a 34-year-old sergeant — were taken to an intensive care unit
MORAL COURAGE: The Ministry of Foreign Affairs urged the global community to face China’s intention to subdue Taiwan and reject such irrational requests The Ministry of Foreign Affairs yesterday strongly condemned the Chinese government for meddling with US officials’ interactions with Taiwan after FBI Director Christopher Wray revealed China’s efforts to discourage US officials from visiting Taiwan. The greatest long-term threat to the US’ information security and intellectual property, as well as its economic vitality, is China’s counterintelligence and economic espionage operations, Wray told a video event at the Hudson Institute in Washington. Beijing is engaged in a highly sophisticated and maligning foreign influence campaign, with methods that include bribery, blackmail and covert deals, he said. Giving an example, Wray said that when a US official
CAUTION: Taiwan had zero cases of death from food poisoning for six years until last year, when two people died after eating wildlife, an FDA official said The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) yesterday urged the public not to eat wildlife or unidentified wild plants, as they could be fatal, with nearly 7,000 people affected by food poisoning last year, including two deaths due to wildlife consumption. The number of food poisoning incidents increased by nearly 50 percent last year, from 398 cases involving 4,616 people in the previous year to 503 cases involving 6,944 people, FDA data showed. That figure was the second-highest in history, the FDA said, adding that the highest number was recorded in 1997, with 7,235 people. Among the 503 cases, 87 were food poisoning clusters