Happiness Part 2 (浮浪貢開花 Part 2) is a light and carefree play by Golden Bough Theater (金枝演社) that tells the story of a young bohemian man searching for happiness and the interesting places where it is found.
- Red Theater (紅樓劇場), 10 Chengdu Rd, Taipei (台北市成都路10號)
- Today and tomorrow and Sunday at 7:30pm and tomorrow and Sunday at 2:30pm
- Tickets are NT$600 and are available through NTCH ticketing or online at www.artstickets.com.tw
Mother and Daughter, Puppet and Person: You Are My Mother (母與女．人與偶 - 妳是我媽媽) by Taiyuan Puppet Theater Company (台原偶戲團), is a fantasy glove puppet theater performance that explores the relationship between a middle-aged mother and her 15-year-old daughter.
- Nadou Theater (納豆劇場), 79 Xining N Rd, Taipei (台北市西寧北路79號)
- Today at 7:30pm and tomorrow at 3pm
- Tickets are NT$350 and are available through NTCH ticketing or online at www.artstickets.com.tw
Le Petit Prince is a musical composed by Richard Cocciante and is based on the book of the same name by French author Antoine de Saint-Exupery. The show sports a top-notch cast led by Laurent Ban of Les Miserables fame, and leads the audience through an otherworldly journey through the floating planets inhabited by a whimsical crew of characters. The elaborate production features a lavish stage designed by Hans Schavernoch and costumes designed by Jean-Charles de Castelbajac.
- National Theater (國家戲劇院), 21-1 Zhongshan S Rd, Taipei (台北市中山南路21-1號)
- Today and tomorrow at 7:30pm and tomorrow and Sunday at 2:30pm
- Tickets are NT$1,000 to NT$6,000 and are available through NTCH ticket outlets or at www.artsticket.com.tw
Communicating Doors (開錯門中門) is performed by Godot Theater (果陀劇場) and is based on the play by Alan Ayckbourn. The screwball comedy takes place in a five-star hotel where an elderly man is about to confess the murders of his two former wives to his lover. But when his business partner catches wind of the plan, he attempts to foil the confession.
- Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall, 505 Renai Rd Sec 4, Taipei (台北市仁愛路四段505號)
- Today and tomorrow at 7:30pm and Sunday at 2:30pm
- Tickets are NT$400 to NT$2,000 and are available through ERA ticketing
Kaohsiung City Symphony Orchestra - Caucasus Sketches (高雄市交響樂團 - 高加索素描俄國經典篇). Under the direction of conductor Hsiao Bang-hsiang (蕭邦享), the KCSO will present of a program of works by Russian composers, including Glinka's Ruslan and Ludmila Overture, Shostakovich's String Quartet No.8, Op.110, Ippolitov-Ivanov's Caucasian Sketches, Op.10, and Borodin's Eine Steepenskizze "In the Steppes of Central Asia."
- At the Kaohsiung City Music Hall (高雄市音樂館), 99 Hehsi Rd, Kaohsiung (高雄市河西路99號)
- All tickets cost NT$150 and are available through ERA ticketing
- Tonight at 7:30pm
Liang Chien-wen Violin Recital (梁倩文小提琴獨奏會). Taiwanese violinist Liang studied in Universitat fur Musik und darstellende Kunst Wien with Gunter Pichler, who is the first violinist of the Alban Berg Quartet. She continued further violin studies under Uwe-Martin Haiberg at Universtaet der Kuenste Berlin last June. The program of works will include Debussy's Claire de Lune, Reverie, Ballade for violin and piano, Richard Strauss' Sonata for Violin and Piano in E-flat Major, Op.18, Brahms' Sonata for Violin and Piano in d minor, Op.108, and Kreisler's Praeludium und Allegro.
- At the National Recital Hall, Taipei
- All tickets are sold out
- Tonight at 7:30pm
2007 Listing to Paris - Kaohsiung County International Music Festival (2007聆聽巴黎 - 高雄縣國際音樂節系列音樂會). As part of the 2007 Koahsiung County International Music Festival concert series, the concert tonight will feature France-based Taiwanese pianist Li Fang-yi (李芳宜), violinist Plays Guillaume, flutist Patrick Desremerux, violist Joel Soultanian, and cellist Etienne Cardoze. The program will include Fuare's Second Nocturne in B Major, Op.33, No.2 and First Piano Quartet, Op.15, Saint-Saens' Danse macabre, Op.40, Debussy's Three Preludes, Bilitis, and Dutilleux's Choral et Variations (from sonata for piano).
- At the Chih-Shan Hall, National Chiang Kai-shek Cultural Center, Kaohsiung City (高雄中正文化中心至善廳), 67 Wufu 1st Rd, Kaohsiung City (高雄市五福一路67號)
- All tickets are NT$100 available through ERA ticketing
- Tonight at 7:30pm
Taipei Symphony Orchestra - Love Story of July 7th (台北市立交響樂團 - 情人節音樂會). On the Chinese Lover's Day, which will fall tomorrow this year, the TSO will present an all love-themed concert tomorrow. Conducted by Lin Tien-chi (林天吉) and featuring violinist Kong Zhao-hui (孔朝暉), the TSO will present a program of works, including Wang Xilin's (王西麟) Fire Torch Festival from Symphonic Suite Yunnan Tone Poem ("火把節"，選自交響組曲「雲南音詩」), He Zhan-hao (何占豪) and Chen Gang's (陳鋼) The Butterfly Lovers Violin Concerto (梁祝小提琴協奏曲), Bernstein's West Side Story Symphonic Suite, Mascagni's "Intermezzo" from Cavalleria Rusticana, and Richard Rogers' The Sound of Music.
- At the Taipei Zhongshan Hall (台北市中山堂), at 98 Yenping S Rd, Taipei (台北市延平南路98號)
- Tickets range from NT$200 to NT$800 and are available through NTCH ticketing
- Tonight at 7:30pm
Musical Ripple - Flute and Guitar Duo (音漾 - 長笛吉他二重奏音樂會). Featuring female classical guitarist Chiu Yu-jung (邱昱蓉) and flutist Lin Hsiao-chien (林筱茜), the duo will present a program of works, including Fernando Carulli's Serenade, Beaser's Mountain Songs, and Piazzolla's Historia de Tango.
- At the National Recital Hall, Taipei
- Tickets range from NT$200 to NT$400 and are available through NTCH ticketing
- Wednesday at 7:30pm
Underworld (地下社會) showcases cool new band White Eyes (白目) and Random (隨性) tonight. Tomorrow should be interesting when highly regarded punk rock outfit Children Sucker (表兒) and 88 Guava Seeds (88 顆芭樂籽), a band prone to drastic mood swings, take the stage, along with an audio-visual show by Lazy Q (賴Q) and French Fries (薯條), and a performance by Hiya (播放). On Wednesday it's Black Summer Days (黑色夏日) and The Newsonghead (新歌頭).
- The bar opens at 8pm and bands start playing around 9pm
- Entrance is NT$300
- B1, 45 Shida Rd, Taipei (台北市師大路45號B1). Call (02) 2369-0103 or visit www.underworld-taipei.blogspot.com for more information
Shui (水), Chamber 6, Empyrean, and 88 Balaz (88顆芭樂籽) take the stage tonight at The Wall (這牆). Tomorrow it's The Newsonghead (新歌頭), White Eyes (白目) and Echo. Sunday is a night of emo, metal-core and garage with Kenny From Casino (賭場肯尼), 831 (八三夭) and Hindsight (光景消逝). On Tuesday, melodic power metal band Seraphim, who have a fan base in Europe and Japan, (seraphim-metal.com) kick off their world tour at The Wall with a mini concert. On Wednesday, it's indie-rock band Radio Bear (小白熊電台), Feng Lai Fang (風籟坊) and post-rock band Orange Grass (橙草), and on Thursday it's Bolero, Hours, Mali Band, and Dilemma.
- Entrance tonight, tomorrow is NT$400. Sunday, Wednesday and Thursday is NT$300. Tuesday is NT$350
- Bands take the stage at 8pm
- B1, 200 Roosevelt Rd Sec 4, Taipei (台北市羅斯福路四段200號B1). Call (02) 2930-0162 or visit www.the-wall.com.tw
Folk rockers What Mulan (花木蘭) and Cloud Gate Theater dancer Wu Pei-shan (吳佩珊), also known as Devin, perform tonight at The Living Room (小客廳). Things heat up tomorrow with Red Flower (紅花樂團) and live electronica bands Moshang, Viba and KTK. Tuesday, as usual, is tarot night with Eiffel (塔羅老師艾菲爾). On Wednesday it's Tellus Theater, followed by Drunk (酒客二人組), billed as "a guy with an amazing guitar and a girl with an amazing voice." Caomei Shala (草莓沙拉) and Pa Pang (怕胖) perform Thursday.
- Tonight's shows start at 9:30pm. Tomorrow's begins at 9pm. Tuesday's tarot runs from 7:30pm to midnight. Wednesday's theater starts at 9:30pm, followed by the music at 10:30pm. Thursday's performances begin at 10pm
- Entrance is NT$300 plus a two-drink minimum
- 3F, 8 Nanjing E Rd Sec 5, Taipei (台北市南京東路五段8號3樓). Call (02) 8787-4154 or visit www.livingroomtaipei.com
Yellow Funky Stuff play a fusion of jazz, funk and rock tonight at Riverside Cafe (河岸留言). Tomorrow the venue hosts A Night of Noise (造音之夜), Lucky Q, Formula and Da Bones (骨頭樂隊). On Sunday it's 36 Roundhouse Kicks (三十六迴旋踢) and Your Low End (憂樂園). Monday, as usual, is open-jam night, when any person or band can perform a few songs on stage. On Tuesday it's Joker and They're Lisa (他們是力殺). Nylas and Bibi Chao (趙之璧) and her band perform on Wednesday, and Thursday is a mini-concert with singer Debbie Hsiao (蕭賀碩).
- Shows start at 9:30pm
- Entrance tonight, Thursday and Wednesday is NT$350. Tomorrow is NT$400. Sunday and Tuesday is NT$300
- B1, 2, Ln 244, Roosevelt Rd, Sec 3, Taipei (台北市羅斯福路三段244巷2號B1). Call (02) 2368-7310, or visit www.riverside.com.tw
Underdog, Taipei's mid-week house and funk bonanza, returns to On Tap. Residents Geezer Foo and Shorty will throw down the funk, acid jazz, and deep house from 10pm until 4am.
- 49, Ln 308, Guangfu S Rd, Taipei (台北市光復南路308巷49號). Call (02) 2741-5365
The Mad Georges perform tomorrow at Bliss. Comedy hypnotist Brian David Phillips' risque Blissnosis show, originally scheduled for tonight, has been canceled.
- Performances start around 10pm
- Entrance to the bar is free. Cover for the shows upstairs is NT$200
- 148, Xinyi Rd Sec. 4, Taipei (台北市信義路四段148號). Call Bliss at (02) 2702-1855 or log on at www.bliss-taipei.com
Slovak Contemporary Graphic Art (斯洛伐客當代版畫藝術). With pioneering artists such as Mikulas Galanda, Koloman Sokol and Ernest Zmetak Slovak laying the foundation in 1940s, Slovak contemporary graphic art has come from a refined tradition and transformed from the early classical style to geometric abstractionism. Featuring over 100 pieces by artists known for their graphic and illustrated works, the exhibition offers local audiences a rare chance to appreciate the nation's unique artistic tradition.
- Taipei Fine Arts Museum (台北市立美術館), 181 Zhongshan N Rd Sec 3, Taipei (台北市中山北路三段181號). Open Tuesday to Sunday from 9:30am to 5:30pm. Call (02) 2595-7656
- Until Sept. 16
Writing Image - Adaptable Works: Ho Chia-hsing Solo Exhibition 2007 (何佳興2007年個展 - 寫字˙寫相－未完成的繪本). The sketches, writings and calligraphy works at the exhibition comprise an adaptable portfolio licensed under a Creative Commons attribution to explore infinite possibilities of a new art form emerging from a social network of interoperability.
- Shin Leh Yuan Art Space (新樂園藝術空間), 15-2, Ln 11, Zhongshan N Rd Sec 2, Taipei (中山北路二段11巷15-2號). Open Wednesday to Sunday from 1pm to 8pm. Call (02) 2561-1548.
- From tomorrow through Sept. 9
The Shortcut to the Systematic Life: Program Random (系統生活捷徑：程式瞎摸). Featuring five video works by Tsui Kuang-yu (崔廣宇), the exhibition serves as a sum-up of the acclaimed artist's five-year project "The Shortcut to the Systematic Life: Superficial Circumstance" (系統生活捷徑-表皮生活圈) that combines performance arts with video installation to provide an insightful survey of the relationship between urbanites and their surroundings through the artist's aberrant acts filmed in public spaces.
- Eslite Gallery (誠品畫廊), B2, 245 Dunhua S Rd Sec 1, Taipei (台北市敦化南路一段245號B2). Open Tuesday to Sunday at 11am to 7pm. Call (02) 2775-5977
- Until Aug. 26
Love Painting - Mr Red Solo Exhibition (喜歡畫 - 紅膠囊個展).The exhibition features original illustrations by the picture book writer Mr Red, returning after a four year hiatus, to create his signature fantasia full of imagination and whimsy, which the artist deems to be more real than life itself.
- Capital Art Center (首都藝術中心), 2F, 343 Renai Rd Sec 4, Taipei (台北市仁愛路四段343號2樓). Open Tuesday to Sunday from 10am to 7pm. Call (02) 2775-5268
- Until Aug. 28
Composing in Summer (夏日拼圖). Featuring works by Taiwan's four award-winning artists, the group exhibition presents each artist's unique approach to the art form, so that a kaleidoscopic visual impression is created.
- AKI Gallery (也趣), 4, Ln 140, Zhongshan N Rd Sec 7, Taipei (台北市中山北路七段140巷4號). Open Tuesday to Thursday from 1pm to 9pm; Friday to Sunday from 11am to 10:30pm. Call (02) 2872-5296
- Until Aug. 26